Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: E1450 performance question  (Read 5406 times)

smithbr

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
E1450 performance question
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:21:27 AM »

Hi Gang
Attached is a chart of my furnace's performance for the last 24 hours.  Things to note:
- House has forced air HX for upstairs, basement is radiant floor loop heated, DHW has a sidearm heater and the electric is shut off to it when the OWF is running.  Upstairs setpoints are 18C during the day, 16 at night; floor loop is 18 C constant.
- We fed the furnace once last night, at 6 PM, and won't need to feed it again until late afternoon.
- Outdoor temperature hit -24 C last night.
- when you see close cycles, like those between midnight and 3 AM, my basement floor loop is running.
- the long quiet cooldown before and after that is typical when the house is not calling for heat.
- the steeper cooldown after 7AM indicates the forced air system is doing the morning warmup.

I believe my furnace reaction chamber TC is misplaced; if it was really running that cool, I'd expect to be clogged with creosote, but it's doing quite well unless I load with lousy wood.  I have a replacement, but can I just push the existing one further in?
Thanks

5050racing

• OWF Brand: CB-1450
    • View Profile
Re: E1450 performance question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »

This is mine I'm busy now but will reply later but it runs every hour very consistent we are at 0-4f degrees at night up to 15f at daytime.

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »

This is a live shot at 10 am 1-2-18

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »

Thanks, 5050.  I'm seeing a few things there:
- your high temperature "stage 3" burns are much more frequent and consistent
- your cycling is much more regular (You only have one load, is that correct?  I'm quite sure I can identify my floor and forced air cycles, and sometimes I can spot the thermal load for DHW when we use a lot).
- you are doing pulses a lot less frequently; we're doing them every 12 minutes, for 52 seconds.  First winter I had a few FO instances trying to run with longer gaps between pulses, but now I suspect that was due to other 'newbie' factors.  What are your settings for pulse timeout and length?
- your temperature is much higher; we reached those numbers when first installed (but I didn't have data logging then).  Is it possible for that thermocouple to move?  Or maybe I hit it?  Can it read a lower number in the same circumstances, over time (maybe encrusted with crap)?  I've never heard of a degradation mechanism for a TC that led to that effect.
Thanks!

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »

What I'm thinking is, I'm doing a lot of stage 1 and stage 2 burning, not really hitting that intense stage 3 very often.  That's probably why I seem to be cleaning out more often than some have to.  Is that reasonable?

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »

Read my post on charcoal ,my boiler in 4th season n all of sudden lots of charcoal not hitting temps! What's happens the hole below the charge tube burns wider n wider over time n then to much coals drop down then the 3 rd stage doesn't kick in things just compound after that? Look at what I welded as a grate to stop this from happening, you can replace it at $160 I think but I don't like to give in,so far working great!!

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:23:22 AM »

Here is another live shot

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »

Okay, 5050, a little more info please.
What's the scale of the thing - do the left and right 'ears' rest on the side shelf?  Does this rig fit front to back right above the tube?  So it holds big chunks up, sure, but anything 3" or less can drop down in all 4 corners, no? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding where this goes in your furnace.  Any chance you could take a picture of it in place? 
This is only our second year on this unit, so I'm a little doubtful the firebrick has eroded that far, unless my wife has been chipping away at it when she takes her turn cleaning and feeding every day.

Thanks

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »

Our local hardware store has a fireplace grate that might work (I'm not a welder).  I'll have to measure it up.  Might have to adjust it with a hacksaw.
http://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/55152671.jpg

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »

Really I modified it a little from pic it goes under charge tube all I did was trim n bend side ears to fit under tube as not to lift it n some clearance from tube. There are many things can cause bad temps I had a wire all of a sudden off of a solenoids or that elbow half clogged,pm with your phone number I you want n I will call u. The grate has been in over a week n not one bad burn and nothing but a pint of ash in reaction chamber.also with theses outside temps I've been throwing a little bit of wood in the door!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:41:00 PM by 5050racing »

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »

Ahhh.  below the charge tube.  Makes more sense now.  also a lot smaller than I was thinking.  Ok.

I might PM you in a day or so, I've got to look it over first.  Tomorrow is only 14 F for the daytime high,  but it's the best it'll be for the next week so I'll be doing my cleanout.  I'll look it over then.

I'll also take a closer look at the air path from the air box to the charge tube, as I still get the odd piece of charcoal spit back into the airbox.  Been through the manual, and they suggest 15 seconds and gentle action on the bypass is all that's needed, but we're already doing all that.

Thanks a lot for the replies.

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »

The piece is only made out of  5/16 stainless total of 8" long n about 4" wide

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:49 AM »

Thanks!

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 05:38:37 PM »

Took a good look at the top of our reaction chamber firebrick, along the edge of that channel.  Not much wear and tear, look pretty square-edged still to me. I'll think about how I might make it harder for chunks to fall through, but I don't think this is having a major impact.  When we clean next, I'll take a better look at the air path to the sidewalls, as it looks like I've got a lot more creosote on one side than the other, which wouldn't be normal.

5050racing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:33 AM »

The dealer told me the gap in the firebrick under charge tube is like a 1" mine was at least 1.5,the grate is still working perfectly only a pint n half maybe in reaction chamber even in this very cold run this week with lots of wood going in it.
Pages: [1] 2