Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zone control for both 120V pump and 24V zone valves?  (Read 6732 times)

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Zone control for both 120V pump and 24V zone valves?
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:55:48 PM »

This is going to be easy for any of you who understand electricity, but I absolutely do not; so please bear with me. I have a customer with an existing clusterf*uck. Long story short, he has 2 zones of in-floor run off the open boiler loop utilizing a single 007. I am going to pipe in a 20 plate HX and separate the floor loops from the boiler loop, mixing the temp down. My thought is to add a single circ off the HX, which would only run when the zone valves are powered open. Can I use a Taco switching relay to power the pump, with the "thermostat" lugs being powered via a jumper to the zone valve/stat circuit? It seems to me that the existing 24v should be able to stay intact, with simply jumpers over to the lugs in the switching relay to run the pump for either zone- am I nuts? :-\

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Zone control for both 120V pump and 24V zone valves?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:03:38 AM »

So you'd have two stats, right? Each sends 24v.  down from the W, opening each zone valve, then you'll need two SPDT 90-370 relays so the 120v. to the pump has two routes in parallel, the same 120 v. power can be tripped by either stat.  Each stat can send power to the pump without back feeding 24 v. to the other stat and zone valve.
That's how I'd do it anyway. :) there's more than one way.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 07:38:06 AM »

So you'd have two stats, right? Each sends 24v.  down from the W, opening each zone valve, then you'll need two SPDT 90-370 relays so the 120v. to the pump has two routes in parallel, the same 120 v. power can be tripped by either stat.  Each stat can send power to the pump without back feeding 24 v. to the other stat and zone valve.
That's how I'd do it anyway. :) there's more than one way.

Yeah, currently 2 stats power 2 zone valves and dump 180 atmospheric water into the slabs. Where would those relays get 120v to power the pump? Again, please bear with me. I can and have wired entire buildings with 120/240v, but this low voltage stuff doesn't make sense to me and relays are completely spanish.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »

Relays are simply switches, can do some aamzing stuff with the proper relays and on/off time delays. Have a ton of em in the grain setup. The only confusing part sometimes is if they are isolated or non.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

timbur

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Crown Royal
  • OWF Model: RS7400MP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »

Why not use Taco's ZVC403-4 ?
Dealer for OWB's &  specialize in radiant floor heat

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:44:31 PM »

Why not use Taco's ZVC403-4 ?

Because my 24v is already wired. That controller would gain me nothing in this application. The SR503-4 would give 120v output to fire my pump, but as I asked in the original post, could I just run a jumper from each stat/ZV circuit to 2 thermostat terminals in the controller so both of which would light up the pump?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »

wreckit, everything you need to know about electricity:

ELECTRICAL THEORY OF SMOKE…BY JOSEPH LUCAS

Positive ground depends upon proper circuit functioning, the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work; we know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of the electrical system, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing.

When, for example, the smoke escapes from an electrical component (i.e., say, a Lucas voltage regulator), it will be observed that the component stops working. The function of the wire harness is to carry the smoke from one device to another; when the wire harness "springs a leak", and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterwards. Starter motors were frowned upon in British Automobiles for some time, largely because they consume large quantities of smoke, requiring very large wires.

It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brakes leak fluid, British tires leak air and the British defense establishment leaks secrets...so, naturally, British electronics leak smoke.

Author Unknown

The Theory Explained through Discussion.

When wires smoke, how come the smoke is not the same color as the wire?

This is not completely true. When the smoke is in the wire, it is under pressure (called voltage). The pressure difference causes the color to change from the normal color we are used to. Not unlike the blood in our veins and arteries changing color due to the oxygen content. When the smoke escapes the wire and is exposed to air, the pressure is released, and the color reverts back to what we commonly recognize as smoke. The wire then changes to the color of the smoke that escaped.

I hope this helps you understand.

I would only question the last sentence of that description. It has been my experience that the wire turns a color directly opposite of the smoke.

Not always true, I think it must depend on the composition of the smoke in question.

I should have made it a little clearer; the color the wire becomes, is directly proportional to the escape velocity of the smoke. Higher velocities generate higher heat. This heat tends to burn the wire and affect the coloring. The statement was meant to be a generalization, indicating the fact that the color of the wire does in fact change. Sorry for the miscommunication.

I was speaking of electrical smoke which is generally white. The spent smoke casing generally assumes a color somewhat near black after the smoke leaves.

I can't stand it anymore! If, as you say, light bulbs suck up darkness and convert it to smoke which is transmitted (via wire) to a power source for recycling...why do car batteries go dead when lights are left on? Do car batteries (and flashlight batteries for that matter) have a limited amount of storage capability? Is it like a hard drive that gets so full that you have to double-space and then lose all data?

Now you're getting it.......

I thought you guys were smarter than this. Of course the battery stores the smoke. In fact it can store so much smoke that if you open the top and light a match, the resulting explosion can do serious damage. I'm sure you are aware that usually where there's smoke there's fire. If you connect the battery to a charger, the smoke is then returned to the wire (Remember, a light bulb wont work unless it is connected to a wire system) for the utility companies to use. Your hard drive analogy is a very good example.

Our hardware guys might be onto something in their quest for superior wiring. I have noticed the unique method of of series/parallel wiring the power strips on our systems seems to prevent the smoke from getting out of the wires. A "Smoke Loop" of sorts. In the case of the "smoked" workstation recently, you should notice that this was a conventional single power strip installation.

Since color is percieved by the cone shaped receptors in our eyes, and cones require more light that their rod shaped counterparts. Is the sky blue at night?

At night the process including contraction of the pupil is visual purple by which the eye adapts to conditions of increased illumination when facing 300 candle power redeflecting devices.

Since there is a spectrum of light that we as humans cannot see, I support the theory that everything is going up in smoke, we just can't see it. This may explain why the neighbors dog barks for no apparant reason.

I think your basic understanding of smoke systems is remarkable. However I find a flaw with your theory. The battery is a reusable storage device for smoke. therefore, one would assume that some sort of one way valve (we can call it a diode) should be needed to prevent pressure flooding back into the system while at rest. Unlike the A/C system, the smoke system is collecting darkness at the headlights and converting it to smoke. This causes the system to fill up. The battery can contain much higher pressures and volumes than the wires. If this pressure exceeds the capacity of the wire, it will cause a rupture as you described. The rupture can be controlled by a sacraficial device known as a fuse. But this still doesn't eliminate the problem. Perhaps a two way valve (zener diode) is used to allow a small amount of pressure to return to the system, and partially equalize. I find this theory unlikely though, due to the increase in the force required to start the pump (which is now under pressure) working again...

The smoke continues circulating through the system, due to the pressure differential in the battery (smoke pressure/vacuum reservoir). When the reservoir becomes depleted, the pressure simply equalizes everywhere in the system (similar to an A/C system when it's turned off) and stuff just wont work. Notice the relations: Work (W) = Force (F) x Distance (D); Force (F) = total difference in pressure (Dp) x Area (A). Therefore, the work done in a pressure system is: Dp x A x D. If the pressure differential (Dp) is reduced to zero then W = 0 x A x D = 0.

The smoke only escapes the wires when a path is created between the pressure differential areas (@ either the reservoir or the pump) that has too little restriction. When this happens, the smoke travels through the wires so fast that the friction between the smoke and the outer walls of the wiring heats the wires until they rupture. The smoke continues to escape until its pressure is equalized with the atmosphere, or until the conduit that provides the path between pressure areas is severed. When this happens, the sudden drop in pressure allows the wires to "collapse" slightly and, being soo hot, as the edges of the ruptures and severed ends touch, the material becomes fused, sealing the system and retaining the remaining smoke.

Don't forget, when the system is at rest, all the valves, (switches and relays) are closed, keeping the pressure areas separated. When restarting the pump, as long as everything is OK, the smoke pressure is equal on both sides of the pump and there is no net force on the pump when it begins operating again. Also, within the pump there are pressure/volume actuated one-way valves with restrictors built in, arranged in such a way that they keep excess smoke volume recirculating through an integral smoke loop, which maintains the pressure within manageable limits.

The excess smoke, created by the light/smoke converters (headlights and other darkness absorbing devices), is changed back to darkness and dissipated in small unit concentrations so its dark effect is not locally observed. The smoke pump impeller (stator), converts smoke into magnetic flux which does work on the engine. Some of the excess work energy is dissipated through the cooling system and exhaust in the form of heat, while the remaining work energy is converted back to smoke and distributed evenly in small concentrations as you drive. This maintains the total quantity of smoke in the system at an average that does not change over time.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »

Thanks Marty, I am now dumber for having read that. As we know, I cannot afford to lose any more brain cells. All I want to know, is whether or not I can tap into the stat/ZV circuit to activate the Taco controller. That is all I'm asking. Last I checked, smoking wires are a bad thing lol

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »

It should be easy. What controller are you using?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »

Thanks Marty, I am now dumber for having read that. As we know, I cannot afford to lose any more brain cells. All I want to know, is whether or not I can tap into the stat/ZV circuit to activate the Taco controller. That is all I'm asking. Last I checked, smoking wires are a bad thing lol

Right, thats because the smoke is getting out.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »

It should be easy. What controller are you using?

SR503-4 as mentioned above, if it'll work. Seems to me I would be able to use the existing 24v circuit between the stats and zone valves. The "thermostat" terminals in the controller could just be jumped with a tap into the existing circuit from stat to ZV, in my mind. That way when the stat calls, it both opens the zone valve AND powers the terminal in the controller, thus sending 120V to the pump. Yes?

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »

At any rate, call it ignorance, but I read that whole thing 4 times while stone sober and it sounds ridiculous. Nothing about it makes a lick of sense to me. Thanks though

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »

I just looked on my phone and didn't see a schematic for it but guessing it just has internal relays. If so you should be able to just put a jumper between the H connections on then circulator connections.

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:11 AM »

Hey Marty, That Electric smoke thing is great! We'll make it mandatory reading and give a test on it at our next dealer meeting.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 07:24:50 AM »

At any rate, call it ignorance, but I read that whole thing 4 times while stone sober and it sounds ridiculous. Nothing about it makes a lick of sense to me. Thanks though

Lol it’s supposed to be ridiculous.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: [1] 2