Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shaver Owners  (Read 4985 times)

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
Shaver Owners
« on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »

I am still new to this site but am building a baste off of shaver.  More and better pictures of the shaver would be greatly appreciated.  Is the bubble wrap insulation for the pec lines or the styrofome better?  How much space in between the water chamber and outside cabinet is there for insulations?  Is there insulation on the bottom?  How does the smoke stack seal to keep water from running down inside the cabinet (as in rainwater)?  Pretty close to the end of my build.  But am looking to improve over the next summer.
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

beeman

• View Profile
Re: Shaver Owners
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »

now i am worred no body has a coment on the shaver that they own

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »

Don't own a shaver but have NCB. Was not insulated on bottom when it came added insulaton and enclosed in with metal myself (stove sits on legs)
 Stack is sealed with High temp silicone. Never measured but looks to be about 5or6 inches between jacket and stove.

beeman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »

thanks for the reply i hope to this next summer to make the outside bigger for more insulation mine is not a shaver but is homebuilt like the shaver

fj40duck

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ACEMEFURANCE
  • OWF Model: 8000 BTU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »

HAD ONE FOR 3 YEARS AND DIDN'T LIKE IT AT ALL, NO INSULATION ON BOTTOM, SWEATS ALOT ON TOP AND GETS INSULATION WET, BURNS ALOT OF WOOD, DON'T LIKE THE DOOR SEAL,

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »

Nc are way better than a shaver, two shouldn't be compared as the design is totally different.  Shaver is one of the worst designs on the market today
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »

how come? what makes the design so bad.seems like quality issues more than design ..just curious not many mfg show how its constructed ,just a few features and shiny siding.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »

I have no problem with the way my 250 performs, its the quality thats crap.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »

how come? what makes the design so bad.seems like quality issues more than design ..just curious not many mfg show how its constructed ,just a few features and shiny siding.

Well it's the chimney going straight out the top, not having fire coming in under and over the fire.  Also how the water re-enters the water jacket.   I just know that when I started using the headmaster 5000e with air coming over and under it's amazing the difference. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

From what i was told Natures Comfort was a knockoff of a shaver when I was looking to buy.It was going around internet that the owner of natures comfort worked for shaver at one time or (was a dealer) and decided to go into business  makeing wood boilers.  Mine didnt have water heater thermostate  it had honeywell aquastate. Design was very similar to shaver. Does not have air over top of fire box either only comes in under grate maybe newer ones do. Flue in mine is a piece of 6 inch pipe down in back to about 2 inches from bottom, with a section cut out of back of pipe about 6 inches long. Does have removable ash pan which shaver does not have. Big plus to me. With that said Quality wise there is no comparision between NCB and shaver.

When i bought mine lots of people were canceling orders with shaver and buying Natures comfort and paying the price difference because of Quality and avaliability.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »

I donna mike, I think what Dave wanted to do was build a heavy made boiler like a shaver was supposed to be.  But the similarities stop there I think.  The 08 model ncb's are a lot different than the current designs and seem to be a bit more finicky to operate.  I know you and I have discussed burn times n such on several occasions. 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

beeman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 09:45:36 AM »

thanks to all for responce got my stove to the house still working on the plentom if it is just the looks that make them bad i could call mine a shaver