Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: running out of hot water  (Read 8919 times)

ambonci

• OWF Brand: SHAVER 165
    • View Profile
running out of hot water
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:23:16 AM »

i have a shaver 165 with an electric hotwater heater.  I have one thermostat set low for the electric and the other one set normal for use with OWB.  after giving kids a bath doing dishes and wife showers my shower will be short due to lack of hotwater.  anyone have and ideas?  OWB is always up t temp.  when hotwater isn't hot, inlet pipe to hotwater heater is warm but not hot hot.  so im wondering if I have a issue with owb or with hwh.  water heater 2 years old.  would installing a plate exchanger help my situation?  anyone have pictures of their hot water hook up?

Thanks
Adam

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
Re: running out of hot water
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »

are you using a sidearm hx for the hot water now?
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:07:51 AM »

no I just have 2 pipes coming in from outside.  one feed one return and one circulator on feed pipe.  it was like that when we bought the house.  I have been told that a heat exchanger will help.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:16:34 AM »

ambonci, a picture or better description of how it is connected to your water heater will help immensely. The two ways owb are fed through water heaters to heat them is either with a sidearm heat exchanger or a plate heat exchanger. It doesn't sound like you have either of these.

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:46 AM »

ill get pic here in a little bit.

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »

Unless the admins have done something about it you will probably be unable to post a pic without linking it to another host.  Here is how I did it:

Here is how I was told to do it...and it worked for me:

"Use photobucket, load them onto there, then click the share button, then links, then click the (image url) one, copy it, and paste it inline on your post where you want it."
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »

does Shaver have a domestic water coil in boiler like a Hardy?  Otherwise you would have to have a hx of some sort to have any hot water at all produced by the boiler.

Is your electric water heater turned on? If so, maybe that's why you have any hot water at all.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »

You know what? I just remembered that my buddy had an in the water jacket coil in his shaver when it came from the factory. He through it out. Ambonci must be heating his hot water tank with one. Ambonci if the water coming back to the water heater from out at the stove isn't hot then you have a heat transfer problem. I am going to guess that your coil located in the boiler is covered in scale and lime build up causing the heat not to be able to transfer from the boiler to the water heater water. You will need to remove the piping either at the owb to the coil or inside the house out to the coil and flush the line with CLR.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »

I would bet Hondaracer is right.  I did not use the OWB coil on my Shaver because my stove was too far away from the house for it to be effective.  I ended up putting a plate HX and tempering valve in front of my electric demand heater.  I turned off my electric one when I fired up my stove last fall and have never ran out of hot water.  Over thanksgiving, we ran 10 showers back to back to back.... and never ran out, so that was the big test and the plate HX passed!

I tried to attach a picture but am having the same problem as everyone else.  And I don't know how to use a photobucket!  the same pic is posted elsewhere on this site, search on my username (wood nutt) and you can probably find it.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »

wood nutt I do have the coil same as you im sure.  I tried posting pic of my setup with no luck.  if you could email it to me?  ambonci@hotmail.com.  I was thinking of changing 1/2 coil with 3/4 but still unsure if that will cure the problem.  HWH roughly 50-60 feet from house.  thanks in advance.  all recommendations welcome still.

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »

wood nut I found your pictures.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 07:21:33 PM »

I emailed you the photo with a brief explanation.  Let me know if you have any questions.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

racnruss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »

Ambonci,

F in Law has a hardy with domestic coil built into boiler.  1/2" coil works great as long as its open.

F in Law has 80 gallon electric hwh, and just running the water out through coil in boiler and back into top of hwh was not enough for him.  So, we put a T in the drain of water heater and put a small circulating pump on that, from there we T into the domestic water line running out to coil in boiler.  The pump runs 24/7 circulating the domestic water in the loop.  Plus, because we T into the water line going out to boiler, the new water coming into the hwh also flows though boiler coil, therefore preheating it as it fills hwh.  Works perfect.

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »

wood nutt I got your picture thank you.  racnruss,  one of my customers has two hardys at his place and he used to be a hardy dealer.  he is also a plumber.  I had him look at the system before and he thought I could use a bigger HWH really just a storge tank.  I have pictures but cant post them and unfamiliar with photbucket.  my feed line is in bottom of HWH with a circulator.  I can email these pictures to anyone that would like to look at them.  im not much of a plumber and I am having a tough time understanding the lingo I guess. 

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 05:54:19 PM »

wood nutt if I were to keep the coil make it 3/4 pipe and still install plate exchanger to solve my issue?  my heat is on separate pipes if that means anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3