Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: PUTTING A STRUCTURE AROUND A PORTAGE AND MAIN 2840  (Read 3774 times)

BOOJOU

• OWF Brand: PORTAGE & MAIN
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
PUTTING A STRUCTURE AROUND A PORTAGE AND MAIN 2840
« on: December 04, 2018, 04:50:07 PM »

I HAVE A PORTAGE AND MAIN BL 2840.  IT IS A GREAT WORKING UNIT AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES.  VERY EASY ON MY WOOD PILE.  HOWEVER, I GET POUNDED BY WEATHER CAUSE I'M EXPOSED TO NORTH WINDS.  WONDERING IF I COULD PUT SOME KIND OF STRUCTURE OR WINDBREAK AROUND STOVE.  IT'LL GIVE ME A BREAK BUT MAYBE HELP THE STOVE WORK EVEN MORE EFFICIENTLY. 

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: PUTTING A STRUCTURE AROUND A PORTAGE AND MAIN 2840
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »

I have been looking at that unit myself and from what I am reading and being told they are not good if enclosed real tight. I am told they smoke a bunch when the door is opened and I have heard if in a building best to put a exhaust fan in the wall to push the smoke out..I will be in the same boat as you with the wind & snow so am thinking of perhaps a car port with tarps on the sides if not wanting to close in the walls.

Super44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Ultimizer BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »

I am on my 3rd winter with mine.  As far as smoking, timing is very important.  I have an inline temp gauge inside my shop so I can watch the burn cycle on the temp gauge from inside.  I go out after it has come up to temp and the fan is not running.  Much less smoke to deal with.  It also shows me when fuel is short because it will not get up to the fan shut off temp so I know it needs wood.  Less smoke then also as it is just coals.  I hope to put a roof over it next summer but only to keep the rain and snow off it and the wood around it. Not likely any sides.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? But seriously though, I didn't notice any difference in smoke vomit after enclosing mine and it makes no difference whether or not I have the doors open or exhaust fan on- however the timing is very important as was mentioned. Mine is in a 21x40 lean on my shop with overhead doors on each end that doubles as storage for Bobcat, lawn mower, ATV, etc. It's worth noting that most insurers won't insure the structure enclosing a non UL listed boiler but that may or may not be a concern to you. If this building gets finished and insulated you may gain a bit of efficiency by having it in a warn space versus out in the cold and wind, but the BL is already pretty well insulate with the double door and whatnot- I doubt it'd be enough to notice

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »

I figured my bare bones smoker would lose enough heat to melt the snow off this small building, but not so. It's about 29 degrees now. Inside it's 45. No insulation. In the hot summer months it will commonly hit 120 with the solar heating, that probably translates to a slight bump in efficiency. Having a little dry wood right beside the boiler is a luxury, but not a significant fire hazard.

93skaterz

• OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13:25 PM »

P&M Optimizer 250 new to me. just enclosed it on 3 sides more to keep wood dry and weather off me while loading.

morfem

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 11:42:04 AM »

Looks good. What kind of "sleeve" or "boot" is used to put the Chimney through the roof?
Portage and main BL 34-44

Indiana

Crow

• OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »

Looks great 93skaterz. Like to do that here too. I have a small shelter that's portable (with tractor) for the wood. It holds a bush cord and keeps the wood dry, but something like yours is what I would really like.