Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I love my shaver 165 and all the holes  (Read 14585 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: I love my shaver 165 and all the holes
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »

Holy Hell! Other than rust, what else is in that! A lot of people have/will have to put new bottoms on their shavers. If you could take some pics through out of the process and post them up I know it would help a lot of people out.

shaver1652008

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
  • the back of my shaver165 hooked up temporally
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »

Right now for the time being, im just going to put new bottom on and run it. Ill use the rust treatment and this spring ill really give her a good overhaul and do some mods that other's have done.

So more pictures now!
Dont make fun om me lol! It's been awhile since I have cut with a plasma cutter.  This cutter is from Eastwood. It's There top model the "versa cut 60"  plasma cutter.
It worked perfectly and have no issues other than my ability to cut a straight line!
These pics are just to get bottom off ill go back and make everything straight and good looking. 

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Keep on keeping on.

shaver1652008

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »

Ok another post because I just figured out how to post multiple pic's!
In the top pic you can see the inlet/outlet pipe is NOT lined up with the cut out for circulation to front of the stove, the other side looks lined up ok but ill extend and mark it so I know its the long one to front of stove

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:44:25 AM by shaver1652008 »
Keep on keeping on.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

Was this unit sitting on a concrete pad? The bottom metal looks awful rusty. The square tubing is even rusted.
How much of the crap you got out of the bottom is welding slag from weld rite mfg.?

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »

When I purchased my unit 3-30-10, I had to buy the rust blocker from Shaver. The cost was $250 and was told it was good for 5 years and no test were needed . By the way it was in a 5gal jug.
Wood Nutt, i did read that in the manual..Ben Shaver told my neighbor and me for the warranty we had to use there rust blocker.

Jimr is correct.  When using the product that Shaver supplies....we do NOT have to have the water tested.  The only thing required by them is that every five years the old gets drained and new treatment put in.

My FIRST Shaver 165 was JUNK and I told them so...we had a bit of a go around, but I won...and also decided to upgrade as the dealer rep here wasn't of much help and I learned a lot by calling Shaver up and talking to a fellow who no longer works at Shaver...his name was RAY.  He KNEW all there was to know about the product and he held nothing back.  I basically informed them that I was going to give them the benefit of doubt and that they build me a unit that their wives could put in their dining room and store their fine china in....or else I was going to be taking someone to court.  I received my 250 Pro 6 months later and to this day...KNOCK ON WOOD...I've not had any issues and I can tell you the difference between the 250 PRO and the first 165 I got is like night and day.

I don't come on this site very much....just here now because a friend of mine was having issues with his Shaver and told me about the fellow over her that was having issues with his 165.

What ever you end up doing in repairing your unit...get that rust blocker from Shaver...no testing is involved.  good luck with the repairs...and remember, no matter what anyone says on here regarding Shaver products and believe me there ARE a lot of naysayers....all these wood furnaces have one thing in common...heat the water.  Some may be built like tanks and some many pay for name only...I can think of one right off the top of my head, but I'm NOT here to bash manufactures.  Make your repairs and make it right for you.  Wanna get a hold of me, look for me on the other site.

Lugnut
aka: Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »

Thanks for the pics. Im sure it will help some others out with how to fix theirs.

shaver1652008

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

Was this unit sitting on a concrete pad? The bottom metal looks awful rusty. The square tubing is even rusted.
How much of the crap you got out of the bottom is welding slag from weld rite mfg.?

Yes this was on a concrete pad, every part of it is rusty except some of the painted parts on the backs door area and hinges.
From what I can see in the crap I scraped out it was probably about 1/4 slag and the rest was just thick pieces of rust from the bottom steel plate were there was no circulation of water
ill post another pic up of just the bottom (out inside) were it sat on the pad
this is why they need to paint this stuff and not leave bare metal, I mean come on they are outside in the weather!

Keep on keeping on.

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »

from what I can see looks like the side walls on your water jacket are fairly clean? mine are a little on the scaly side.I don't even want to know what the bottom looks like.One things for sure with their design the drain is about 3/4 up from the bottom that will never let it drain fully and flush out the goo.sorry for your troubles,thanks for the postings,I'm sure I'm goin to be dealing with the same sh$t sooner or later.Good luck
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

shaver1652008

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »

from what I can see looks like the side walls on your water jacket are fairly clean? mine are a little on the scaly side.I don't even want to know what the bottom looks like.One things for sure with their design the drain is about 3/4 up from the bottom that will never let it drain fully and flush out the goo.
Yes side walls at the bottom edges looked ok after I cleaned them up.
Next time I have it off the pad im going to add a drain valve on the bottom so I can drain and flush properly, but for now its 10° here in michigan and I need it so im just fixing the bottom for now
Keep on keeping on.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »

Interesting, on page 6 of this form another fella posted a bottom rust failure very similar as this one, and what I figure the units were both mfg. in 2009.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »

I think they probably use the cheapest deal that they can get regardless of steel quality. I know at one point they were using pipe line remnants for the fire boxes.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 04:11:14 PM »

I think they probably use the cheapest deal that they can get regardless of steel quality. I know at one point they were using pipe line remnants for the fire boxes.
most pipeline pipe is actually much better quality steel than the cheaper grades of rolled plate
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »

That might absolutely be the case but wasn't really my point. My point was that they use what they can get a deal on.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 05:06:43 PM »

im not saying if it is right or not..i work for a steel fabricating company and we are always looking for "good deals" we by drop offs from the steel companies at cheaper rates when they are available these are still brand new bemas but they have been cut from a 60 foot length and they may not be exactly 20, 40, or 60 feet. if a customer before us orders their steel cut to length and lets say there is a piece 34 foot 6 inches they may elect to sell it a little cheaper as it is not a standard length and they allready made money becasue they charge for the cut they did for the previous customer. if they were buying pipe that was new but was a drop off from the pipe line company i would see nothing wrong with that (if it was new)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »

from what I see it's not the pipe that's the problem it's the flat plate on the bottom.Merry Christmas
Pages: 1 [2] 3