Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: convert  (Read 9755 times)

doubletodd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
convert
« on: March 25, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

any ideas on converting a standard wood furnace to a boiler? I scored a radiator with fan for use as shop heater or heat exchanger for house but still need to figure out a way to heat liquid using existing furnace. it is a longwood with 5' long round firebox. I thought of wrapping it with copper pipe or building a water tank to put on top of it. Any ideas? ???

Hank

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: convert
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:19:31 PM »

Thank you for signing up as a member. I think it is possible for you convert your old WF into a boiler. You will have some work ahead of you. I think if you wrapped it, then put another piece of metal over the pipe, then insulated it good may work. You would have to use a heat resistant insulation. Another thing that you could do is use your fire box then make a square water box that your WF could fit into. Then you could buy a couple of pumps to pump the  water back and forth. I can take some pictures for you of mine, may help you. Tell anyone that maybe interested to visit and post on the website.. (WF=wood furnace)..

ericjeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:35:20 AM »

My first OWB was built from an abandoned WF. But the firebox was to small. Now mine has a much larger firebox. Firebox is 30 inch diameter by 48 inches deep. Yeah I can fit a full wheel barrel of wood into it at feeding times. But I only have to feed it minimum of 12 hour intervals.. Unless I am feeding it that lo cal feed. (Poplar) It will consume the lightweight wood a little faster.

doubletodd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »

Yeah any pictures would help. I don't want to spend 10K and I am enjoying experimenting with my system. outside forced air did help keep the gas man away,but certainly had drawbacks, thanks for the feedback

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:20:11 PM »

here is mine..in my  7th year..newer model coming in 2010 (when i retire)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

doubletodd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 08:25:37 PM »

very cool, did you build it?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »

yes double..i built it...i  am planning on  another one in a  year  when i retire...i have  aquired another property and i want to build  one  with  a  (i have a tank allready) 1200 gallon  tank..i am hoping to  fire it  one time a day at most and have it  keep the things near  60 when i am there and  above  freezing  while i am away .....im not  much on  making  refractry so i am thinking of  a 36 inch pipe inside a 42 inch pipe filled  with fire brick between them...i hope  to achieve  very high  temps  burning  this  way....then have  the  heat move  out  the  chimey into a second  barrel that will have  tubes  (big  enough i can brush them) for  the  heat  to go  through and  have them surrounded by  water...then circulate the water  through my 1200 gallon tank untill the  set  temp is  achieved

you think this  may work/..i am looking for all kinds of input..then i  can have way  more  ideas  to contemplate on

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

doubletodd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »

sounds good to me...My experiment at this point I am thinking of using my existing wood furnace and mounting some sort of heat exchanger and storage tank,Working at a scrapyard there are interesting things coming in all the time which can be had for scrap price so i am keeping an open mind,but would like to be able to heat house,garage and small shopand hot water. will keep you posted. Thanks for input. Will post some picks when I get the hang of picture posting

ugenetoo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • maine truck racks
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:27:22 AM »

yes double..i built it...i  am planning on  another one in a  year  when i retire...i have  aquired another property and i want to build  one  with  a  (i have a tank allready) 1200 gallon  tank..i am hoping to  fire it  one time a day at most and have it  keep the things near  60 when i am there and  above  freezing  while i am away .....im not  much on  making  refractry so i am thinking of  a 36 inch pipe inside a 42 inch pipe filled  with fire brick between them...i hope  to achieve  very high  temps  burning  this  way....then have  the  heat move  out  the  chimey into a second  barrel that will have  tubes  (big  enough i can brush them) for  the  heat  to go  through and  have them surrounded by  water...then circulate the water  through my 1200 gallon tank untill the  set  temp is  achieved

you think this  may work/..i am looking for all kinds of input..then i  can have way  more  ideas  to contemplate on

if your inner 36"pipe is insulated from the outer 42" pipe with firebrick, wont it get hot enough to melt or did i misunderstand your plan?
 also, when you go from the burn chamber to the heat exchanger, you might think about putting a secondary air inlet in order to give the gasses an additional chance to burn befor the exchanger cools them.

steve
steve

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »

[/quote]

if your inner 36"pipe is insulated from the outer 42" pipe with firebrick, wont it get hot enough to melt or did i misunderstand your plan?
 also, when you go from the burn chamber to the heat exchanger, you might think about putting a secondary air inlet in order to give the gasses an additional chance to burn befor the exchanger cools them.

steve
yes  you read  right..i hope it doesn't melt (you think it may ?)..if it  changes  shape a little i dont  care, i just want it there to hold the  fire brick in place, im not  much on  making or casting my own refractory

i have thought of  a  secondary inlet..do youthink i should power it with a small blower ,or no blower, i'm open for all kinds of suggestions..then i can pick from them
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ugenetoo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • maine truck racks
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:17:52 AM »

it would be a lot of work to build the stove and have the firebox disintegrate. there isnt much heat transference from the inner pipe to the fire brick like there would be if it was air cooled or water cooled so i suspect that heat would build up to the point that the inner pipe would fail.
 im not a big fan of using refractory in the firebox either simply because i want to be able to throw the wood in and not have to worry about breaking it.
 im thinking that a water jacketed firebox might be the way to go and try to make the wood gasses burn hotter in another refractory lined chamber. then send the super hot burning gasses on to the heat exchanger.
 as to the secondary air, it all depends what you have for a chimney draft to pull the air in.

i guess im like you in that im just in the planning stages right now and will consider all suggestions.

steve
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:24:03 AM by ugenetoo »
steve

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 06:45:44 AM »

steve..in the photo i posted earlier inthis thred of my "now" stove..it is infact a 36inch pipe inside a 42 inch pipe filled with water..it works well but i think the water cooled jacket in fact cools the gasses too quickly and a lot of potential heat is going up the stack

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ugenetoo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • maine truck racks
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 10:45:33 AM »

steve..in the photo i posted earlier inthis thred of my "now" stove..it is infact a 36inch pipe inside a 42 inch pipe filled with water..it works well but i think the water cooled jacket in fact cools the gasses too quickly and a lot of potential heat is going up the stack

and that is why the owb as they have been designed in the past, are so smoky and ineffecient.
 i dont know exactly how the new gassifier boilers work since i have just begun to research and look at them.
 i dont think it makes any difference where you get the high temperatires that burns the wood gasses whether it is in the actual firebox or in a secondary chamber. just as long as you reach those 1500-2000 degree temps and then send them into a heat exchanger to extract the heat.
 maybe one of the gassifier gurus could chime in here and do some splainin to us.
steve

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »

it would be a lot of work to build the stove and have the firebox disintegrate. there isnt much heat transference from the inner pipe to the fire brick like there would be if it was air cooled or water cooled so i suspect that heat would build up to the point that the inner pipe would fail.
 im not a big fan of using refractory in the firebox either simply because i want to be able to throw the wood in and not have to worry about breaking it.
 im thinking that a water jacketed firebox might be the way to go and try to make the wood gasses burn hotter in another refractory lined chamber. then send the super hot burning gasses on to the heat exchanger.
 as to the secondary air, it all depends what you have for a chimney draft to pull the air in.

i guess im like you in that im just in the planning stages right now and will consider all suggestions.

steve

melting point of mild steel is 2730   i dont think the inner pipe will melt..it may  distort but  i dont  care as long as the fire brick keep the  heat in..i will also use  2000 degree heat blanket insulation on the outside pipe so  what  heat leaks through from the fire brick still stays inside
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada