Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Jonsered 535 Problem  (Read 7157 times)

Daped01

• View Profile
Jonsered 535 Problem
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »

I bought a Jonsered 535 used from a buddy of mine.  its my first saw and I'm fairly new to the world of chainsaws so forgive me if this is a simple fix.

Once it warms up and I make 5-10 cuts on it, it seems to bog down and die on me when I give it gas.  It will idle just fine.  Do I have my chain too tight?  what is the proper way to know if the chain is at the right tension?

Thanks in advance

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: Jonsered 535 Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »

with the saw not running pull down on the chain in the center should be about 3/16 of an inch. sounds more like a carbrater problem.

Daped01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:01:07 AM »

Weird.  before I bought the saw the former owner brought it in to a shop to get an overhaul done on it.  I was there when he dropped it off, and when he picked it back up.....getting frustrated!

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »

Weird.  before I bought the saw the former owner brought it in to a shop to get an overhaul done on it.  I was there when he dropped it off, and when he picked it back up.....getting frustrated!

I've seen some shoddy work done by "repair" shops.  My guess would be the carb is in need of cleaning or out of adjustment.  Do you know how to adjust the high speed jet?  Do you know where it's located?  If not, get a manual for it.  It'll show you how to do these things. 

Do you know if the shop put in clean gas?  If not, dump the old stuff (responsibly) flush the gas tank and put in new gas/oil mixture.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »

Sounds like it's to lean....  Most small engines are set up to lean in order to please the EPA.  Richen it up and you'll likely be fine.

I never would in a million years trust a repair shop to work on stuff....  If it was a private individual ran biz that's difference but most these dealers hire folks who don't know a spark plug dorm a coil, it's crazy
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »

tree climber is right about chain tension..Are you mixing the gas:oil ratio to rich where its plugging the spark plug up?..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »

is the saw clean...i ahd an old homelite saw that would get plugged  up with sawdust around the screen around teh pull cord and the saw would actually boile the gas in the tank and cause  an air lick and stall it out..i could restart it almost immedietly and it would idle but give it gas and it would start right away to bog down and die. probably not yoru problem but thought i would throw it out there anyway.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Daped01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »

the repair shop we brought it to is a mom and pop type of place that i've brought stuff to before and not had any problems.  I put brand new gas in myself, but I could be too lean.  What is the typical mixture ratio for these saws?  I suppose I could look for the manual somewhere online and it would tell me.  I'll start with that.  if that still doesn't  do it, i'll try tinker with the carb.  I've never worked on a saw carb before, but i'm confident with enough support (ie manuals, you guys etc), I can figure it out.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »

I'm not so concerned about the mix ratio as just the adjustment screw.

I use amsoil synthetic, comes in a ketchup like package and mixes 1 gallon.  It's like 100:1

People always assume that more oil is better and boy are they wrong.  It lowers the octane rating of the fuel and makes detination take place a lot faster and ruins a lot of saws.

The lower the octane the less stable the fuel is, it's able to fire under pressure before the spark plug fires and the motor then has to crush an expanding bomb that went off way to early, this creates massive
Amounts of heat and causes a lot of pistons to stick to the cylinder wall

All of my saws get amsoil synthetic 100:1, and 93 octane gas only
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Daped01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »

I'm not so concerned about the mix ratio as just the adjustment screw.

I use amsoil synthetic, comes in a ketchup like package and mixes 1 gallon.  It's like 100:1

People always assume that more oil is better and boy are they wrong.  It lowers the octane rating of the fuel and makes detination take place a lot faster and ruins a lot of saws.

The lower the octane the less stable the fuel is, it's able to fire under pressure before the spark plug fires and the motor then has to crush an expanding bomb that went off way to early, this creates massive
Amounts of heat and causes a lot of pistons to stick to the cylinder wall

All of my saws get amsoil synthetic 100:1, and 93 octane gas only

thats what I'm running in mine.  Amsoil Sabre