Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fire keeps going out  (Read 13502 times)

kso5002

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400 DCSS
    • View Profile
Re: Fire keeps going out
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »

our deal is Poust outdoor wood furnaces....since the purchase we have been less than impressed with them. Nice people but they gave us some bad advice. Said to just hook up the burner directly to our furnace inside..without a heat exchange plate, which Heatmor disagreed with.

Should we call Heatmor about the aquastat? Is that something that can be replaced?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »

Definitely contact Heatmor !
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »

I don't understand the light / fan switch on your unit. You said you turned the fan on when it was at 150. Could it be wired wrong? My old wood doctor and many other units sit idle with the fan on and light off. When you want to fill you flip the switch, the fan goes idle and light comes on. Guess Heatmor's are different ???????
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »

Roscoe I believe you are correct
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »

Heatmor works like this, if there is no call for heat fan is off, when you open the outer most door (not the firebox door) a switch turns the fan on, I believe this is to give some oxygen to the firebox to make flashback minimal. Then you turn a normal looking light switch off which turns the light on and fan off.

kso: I am new to OWB's and the heatmor as I have been burning mine for only a month and half now. I wasn't too impressed with mine in the warmer months...40-59 degree weather. I never did mess with the differential, wish I would have. Fire went out one time for me and I think it was from a low demand for heat on a warm day and burning round birch thats a bit punky, but the main issue I had was the fan flapper would either stick open a bit or closed from creosote building up on it.

I'm guessing you don't have enough load on the boiler but its possible maybe a fan flapper stuck closed and couldn't fan the flame. I think your 400 has two fans, one in the back and one in the front. Might be a good idea to take both out and see if sticking closed was a problem.

I've also noticed that the water temp on the gauge on the front of boiler will read 10 degrees plus or minus a couple colder than what the aquastat is set at. So if aquastat set at 180, which is all the higher my heatmor goes to the gauge will be 170ish when the fan shuts off.

Ridge

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 03:28:53 AM »

I have not had any issues with fire going out, wood was cut and split this summer, most of it was from 8' logs that were cut and sitting for a year on the ground. My water temp gauge is the same always 10 degrees colder than the aquastat, tried to turn it up but it is limited to 180, set the differential to 10 degrees but didn't seem to change much.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »

That's good and what kind of boiler do you have?
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 01:21:25 PM »

Heatmor works like this, if there is no call for heat fan is off, when you open the outer most door (not the firebox door) a switch turns the fan on, I believe this is to give some oxygen to the firebox to make flashback minimal. Then you turn a normal looking light switch off which turns the light on and fan off.

kso: I am new to OWB's and the heatmor as I have been burning mine for only a month and half now. I wasn't too impressed with mine in the warmer months...40-59 degree weather. I never did mess with the differential, wish I would have. Fire went out one time for me and I think it was from a low demand for heat on a warm day and burning round birch thats a bit punky, but the main issue I had was the fan flapper would either stick open a bit or closed from creosote building up on it.

I'm guessing you don't have enough load on the boiler but its possible maybe a fan flapper stuck closed and couldn't fan the flame. I think your 400 has two fans, one in the back and one in the front. Might be a good idea to take both out and see if sticking closed was a problem.

I've also noticed that the water temp on the gauge on the front of boiler will read 10 degrees plus or minus a couple colder than what the aquastat is set at. So if aquastat set at 180, which is all the higher my heatmor goes to the gauge will be 170ish when the fan shuts off.
Do the newer ones actually turn the fan on when the door is open?  Mine has a mechanical flapper only. 

To the original poster: does the light come on when you flip the switch?  If not it sounds as if it is being left off and when flipping the switch on then it may be working correctly.  Or there is a wiring problem. 
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »

Yes, when the outter most door is opened the fan is supposed to come on. Turn switch to down position which turns light on and the fan off when loading stove. Do you have a fan at all or just a damper that opens during a call for heat? My 200 which was built in late 2012 if I recall has a fan and a flapper, the fan blows the flapper open and when fan turns off the flapper is supposed to close from the weight of its self. Not sure why but I was getting creosote built up on it that on more than one occasion the fan would shut off but the flapper would stay open a inch or two and in warm weather (40s-50s F) the stove would overheat, it only overheated once, the first time, since that time I was aware of the issue and would take the fan out and clean creosote off it every couple days. Only once did it the flapper stick closed and the fan couldn't push it open. 

My door switch was sticking and the fan wasn't coming on when the outer door was opened, this cured its self after a week of running. I figure it was from sitting so long with the door closed, from when it was manufactured to sitting on the dealers lot.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:24:25 PM by hrc200x »
Pages: 1 [2]