Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: zone valves and pump are pulling water ,not pushing,does this really matter  (Read 3513 times)

caper

• OWF Brand: heatmaster 5000
    • View Profile

should I make this change as well in the spring, system has the zone valves and circ pump pulling the water instead of pushing the water when heat is called for ,is there any difference, its been like this for three yrs now,
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile

What do you mean PULLING vs PUSHING???

Typically you want to "pump away" from boiler or heat source; an entire book was written on the subject by the way. 

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile

I have one pump doing the same thing.  It makes difference!
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

caper

• View Profile

Maybe I explained this wrong, when the zone calls for heat the hot water (supply) goes thru the rads or in floor right away, then it goes thru the zone valve and pump on the way back to the return to the heat exchanger, im pretty sure this is how it works,seems to work fine,however should I change it in the spring,learning a lot from all of you on this site.....it appears I have a few things that need changing.
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI

If it is a pressurized system it is fine. If it is an open system it should be before.

caper

• View Profile

thanks RSI, and yes its pressurized, one more thing I don't gotta change,thats good
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada

LittleJohn

• OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile

IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T TRY AND FIX IT ;)

If I were to start over from scratch I would say move the pump to the outlet of the heat exchanger, but if you and more importantly the WIFEY are happy with how it works; I would leave well enough alone

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile

Boiler pumps do not push or pull, that's why they are called circulators.  They move water by creating a pressure differential on either side of the circulator. High on the outlet side and low on the inlet. Physics tells us water always wants to equalize, as exactly why the water from the low side moves to the high side. These don't work like a lift pump.

There are videos here explaining this in very simple detail, or just visit Taco site. "Pumping away" describes the effects and reasons why circ placement can be bad in some locations. It can cause leaks, pressure problems, air into the system, either right away or down the road.

Good luck
Michigan Thumber

aries9245

• OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile

I agree pumping away book is a must have if your at all confused it helped me re design my system to a primary and secondary system after having lots of issues pressure and air in system do yourself a favor and pick it up.. I found it on amazon
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com

Let's see if I can explain why I like to pump away (circ on supply ) as opposed to  circ on return.  Air elimination is key to either but lets think about it, very few application ever get 100% of the air out of a system on initial start up, air likes to move upwards in water, lets say a glug of air is left in a loop and it eventually gets worked back to the return header, when it reaches the circ on the return side it will stop the flow as a circ will not push or pull air down, installed vertically on the supply side of a loop, the air will naturally move upward through the circ, out through the loop and eventually work it's way through the system back to the air separator or bottle vent and vented out of the system, with isolation flanges on the circ, the little bit of air introduced to the system when changing out a circ will typically work it's way through the system without the PITA of purging that loop. Think your systems out, bottle vents placed up high on a closed loop are your friend!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
Re: zone valves and pump are pulling water ,not pushing,does this really matter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 07:43:01 AM »

boiler guy I know sayz its like this...pump away ..the slowest the water will be....... will be before the pump and all the mico bubbles and such will have "drifted"  to the top of the line =easy air removal...

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »

Let's see if I can explain why I like to pump away (circ on supply ) as opposed to  circ on return.  Air elimination is key to either but lets think about it, very few application ever get 100% of the air out of a system on initial start up, air likes to move upwards in water, lets say a glug of air is left in a loop and it eventually gets worked back to the return header, when it reaches the circ on the return side it will stop the flow as a circ will not push or pull air down, installed vertically on the supply side of a loop, the air will naturally move upward through the circ, out through the loop and eventually work it's way through the system back to the air separator or bottle vent and vented out of the system, with isolation flanges on the circ, the little bit of air introduced to the system when changing out a circ will typically work it's way through the system without the PITA of purging that loop. Think your systems out, bottle vents placed up high on a closed loop are your friend!
I agree but if the pump is on the return and the whole system was installed by an HVAC company, leave it alone unless there is a problem with it.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 03:20:15 AM »

Agreed, no sense fixing what ain't broke but if starting from scratch then pumping away is a better choice.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

aries9245

• OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »

As the book said the reason the pump was installed on the return side to make it easier for shipping and instead of changing it back to what's the right way installers just got lazy..
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)