Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Better get things in order here in the Northeast  (Read 8663 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Better get things in order here in the Northeast
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »

Looks to be a major storm headed our way this evening folks, if you aren't already prepared with extra gas for the generator, plenty of wood on hand and what you need to hunker down for a day or two, you might consider taking the day off from work to get prepared, I've got my Cat fired up and ready, GM will get the minute mount on today and the portable generator will be moved into the garage to keep it ready to go, I think I may even re fire the old Wood Doctor to be sure it's ready in the event the P+M 250 can't handle the extra load! Be well guys and BE CAREFUL!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

caper

• OWF Brand: heatmaster 5000
    • View Profile
Re: Better get things in order here in the Northeast
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:11:01 AM »

yep, its headed towards Nova Scotia as well, cape Breton in particular,,,that where we are so , yes we will be ready.....possibly 20 to 30 cm coming here, no snow right now, rain took it all away on weekend.
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »

Slimjim  It looks like people close to the coast will really feel the brunt of this thing.  I guess the winds are to be near hurricane strength closer to the coast one lives.  I'm not too concerned about it.  When I get home this evening I'll check to be sure the green tractor starts (I haven't started it in over a month - it should fire right up though) and run the PTO to be sure the front mount blower is operating okay and there's enough fuel in it.  The college where I work seldom closes and don't expect it to close for this thing either.  They do ask their employees use common sense (I know, common sense in an academic setting is lacking) and best judgement whether to stay home or go to work.  I'll know better in the AM what I'll do.  But, it is New England so storms of this size shouldn't come as a surprise to us natives, only the transplants.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:05:15 AM »

5AM and just a dusting here so far but the wind picked up a lot around 11PM, perhaps the wind will blow it all out of my driveway, but the CAT is plugged in, 9 foot municipal blade is on and full of fuel, generator is inside and ready to go, Bring it on!

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »

Well let's see, at 6:15 I took the stroll to the shop to check on the boiler, it was down to a very few coals, the man door in the shop blew open, there is about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground and about 3 inches inside the shop. The wind is going to be the culprit here guys, get the generators ready!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »

We were supposed to get 3-5" out of that and 25 mph wind gusts, neither happened, got a dusting though. I spent three days working on the plow truck. New fuel tank, fuel lines, all new rear brake lines, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, slack adjusters, etc. Haven't had any snow to plow since then. Maybe I should have done that last winter?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:02:34 AM »

Last evening the weatherman was predicting 10 to 18 inches of snow for my area of NH.  This morning when I got out of bed to fuel up the OWB there was just a dusting on the ground.  When I left for work around 6:30am perhaps an inch of snow on the ground; I looked at the Weather Channel web site for an update for weather to our area and they have revised their predictions from 10 to 18 inches to 1 to 2 inches by 2:30pm and an additional 1 inch through the night.  Man, did they ever miss the boat on this one.  It has stopped snowing now.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »

OK so rub it in Roger, God Almighty has spared you on this one my friend, we have got to have 16 inches on the ground here with strong winds and drifting, it is supposed to get worse from 2-5PM and not completely stop until late evening. Perhaps somebody up there knows that green tractor can't handle the big stuff and the yellow one can :thumbup:

CRJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

OK so rub it in Roger, God Almighty has spared you on this one my friend, we have got to have 16 inches on the ground here with strong winds and drifting, it is supposed to get worse from 2-5PM and not completely stop until late evening. Perhaps somebody up there knows that green tractor can't handle the big stuff and the yellow one can :thumbup:

Reading this just made my day. that green paint is expensive

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:58:39 AM »

I went out to open up the drive for the last time around 6PM, we had to have close to 2 feet by then, this AM there is another 6 inches on the drive, as the old Maine humorists Burt and I would have said, (That were a good un)

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »

The green tractor can handle the deep stuff.  When I got home last night I was welcome with a 3 1/2 foot drift blocking the driveway.  I fired up the tractor (no problems there) and made quick work of that drift.  Thank God for the heated cab, I stayed warm and dry even with all the snow blowing around. 

I took a few minutes to help one of my neighbors out.  As I was ready shut the green tractor down for the night my neighbor to north was struggling trying to get her drive way cleared of the drifts with her little snow blower.  I felt bad because her husband is laid up with a bad back and he can't use the snow blower until it heals and she hates operating it so I drove down and 5 minutes later their yard was clear of snow.  They offered me money for my troubles, like sitting in a nice warm cab is trouble.  I said no, keep it and buy something for the kids.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 11:16:25 AM »

I took a few minutes to help one of my neighbors out.  As I was ready shut the green tractor down for the night my neighbor to north was struggling trying to get her drive way cleared of the drifts with her little snow blower.  I felt bad because her husband is laid up with a bad back and he can't use the snow blower until it heals and she hates operating it so I drove down and 5 minutes later their yard was clear of snow.  They offered me money for my troubles, like sitting in a nice warm cab is trouble.  I said no, keep it and buy something for the kids.  Roger

:post:

I hate it sometimes when people try to pay me for being a good neighbor, maybe that as well is part of whats wrong with this country, wouldn't matter if the hubby was in a body cast and the wifey was nine months pregnant, some people would still expect to be paid.

Used to have an elderly couple on the farm to the east of us, Father has rented the land from them before I was even born. As they got to their mid eighties and ole Max started slowing down finally, I made sure their drive was always plowed and the walk shoveled. My wife would also go down every morning to get their paper for them. Tried to sneak out numerous times without being paid, never worked, they'd either drop the money off in the mailbox, leave it on the seat of the truck, under a windshield wiper or have the grandkids drop off some nice Pączki straight from the old polish neighborhoods in Chicago. Both were immigrants from Poland and neither took a handout straight off the boat and they weren't about to start just because they got old.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:48:19 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:18:25 AM »

Roger you do know I'm just busting your chops?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »

Roger you do know I'm just busting your chops?

Yes I do.  I'm just taking time to figure out how to get even... ;D  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »

:post:

I hate it sometimes when people try to pay me for being a good neighbor, maybe that as well is part of whats wrong with this country, wouldn't matter if the hubby was in a body cast and the wifey was nine months pregnant, some people would still expect to be paid.

Used to have an elderly couple on the farm to the east of us, Father has rented the land from them before I was even born. As they got to their mid eighties and ole Max started slowing down finally, I made sure their drive was always plowed and the walk shoveled. My wife would also go down every morning to get their paper for them. Tried to sneak out numerous times without being paid, never worked, they'd either drop the money off in the mailbox, leave it on the seat of the truck, under a windshield wiper or have the grandkids drop off some nice Pączki straight from the old polish neighborhoods in Chicago. Both were immigrants from Poland and neither took a handout straight off the boat and they weren't about to start just because they got old.

About 10 years ago when my neighbor first moved to the house across the street from me from the Boston area, I think he was insulted when I refused money for pulling his car of the culvert (He misjudged his turn).  I consider it neighbor helping neighbor.  Heck, hooking a chain to the draw bar and then to his car took all of 5 minutes.  The temp guage was still showing "cold" by the time I got there and had him pulled out.  I told him to give the money to a charity of his choice.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2 3