Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Please Help, 57 and dropping Wood Master  (Read 2130 times)

BulaBula

• OWF Brand: Wood Master
  • OWF Model: Heavy Duty 4400
    • View Profile
Please Help, 57 and dropping Wood Master
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the first post to be me in need. I am going to be coming back to the site to introduce myself and check out some threads as soon as I get my heat back. This is my first year using the furnace, which I believe to be less than 5 years old. So here is my situation...

Short Version - Wood Master Heavy Duty 4400, Less than five years old
                        Furnace tripping circuit only when fan kicks on
                        Found one poor connection leading to fan, corrected wires, worked for less than 2 hours before it tripped again
                        Can't figure out how to unhook fan motor to check wire connections inside
                        Unsure of other connection locations that may be worth looking into

Full Version-

I had let the fire go out yesterday because it was going to be a fairly warm day and my wood supply is short (more on that at another time).  I came home last night, got the fire cooking, then noticed that green light was not illuminated. I got the hose out and filled the system through the top of the furnace (the installer never plumbed in a valve to fill it because it was "really cold" when it was installed  :bash:). The furnace took very little water before it was full.  Everything was good, normal, and the water was getting up to temperature.

Two hours or so later I look out the window to see that nothing on the furnace is illuminated. I immediately go outside and confirm that the furnace had lost power. I head in, reset the tripped circuit breaker.  Then I head out, reset the stove, and the second I turn on the fan...POOF out goes the power to the furnace.

So now I am thinking maybe a wire came loose and is shorting somewhere leading to the fan. I opened the cover on the door, opened the electric box inside to find some sloppy wire nut connections.  There was exposed wire hanging out of both wires. So I think Bingo!, problem solved. I undo the connections (one at a time to keep the wires straight), straighten them out, re-wire nut them, and heat shrink.  I then reassemble, flip the circuit breaker, go out to the furnace. When I hit the fan the power stayed on and the furnace appeared to be working properly once again. I stayed out getting the fire started for a bit and then headed inside.

Well an hour or so later I am getting ready to leave for work and the furnace is once again without power.  I once again take the cover off the door, open the electric box,  inspect my wiring repair and determine that is not the problem.  So, now I have called out of work and here I sit telling you guys as much info as I can in hopes of getting this straightened out.

My thought is still that there is a wiring problem somewhere with the fan. The motor on the fan is a Dayton 1 1/2 hp something. The label is facing back against the door and I have crammed my head in as many ways as I could to try to read it, even tried taking pictures.  I am thinking I should open the motor up and inspect those connection. The only thing is I can't figure out how this motor is attached. I was thinking maybe it twists and drops out but didn't want to force anything without knowing for sure.

One other thought is that maybe there is a short on the fan switch connection, although I am really unsure. Also, Winter has been a bit tough and I got laid off for a couple weeks that I wasn't planning on so I don't really have the money to call a repairman or buy anything I absolutely don't need to.

Any ideas/suggestions are greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                 Matt

BulaBula

• OWF Brand: Wood Master
  • OWF Model: Heavy Duty 4400
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help, 57 and dropping Wood Master
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »

Sorry couldn't get the modify post button to work.  I have narrowed the problem down to the wires leading from the jumper box under the door cover on the front of the stove into the electric motor. Does anyone know how i can dismount the motor to get into those connections?

CRJR

• View Profile
Re: Please Help, 57 and dropping Wood Master
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »

sounds like motor is shorting out internally or over heating