Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Insulation  (Read 17039 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
Insulation
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »

My boiler sweats alot and the insulation gets wet.  I'm wandering if I can replace the fiberglass insulation with the spray foam type that I have seen that the Central Boiler has.

bartman

• View Profile
Re: Insulation
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »

Is the sweating on a shaver stove? Also what is your overvall view of it along with the pros and cons.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 06:29:15 PM »

Yes its on a Shaver.  Read the other post I wrote in the Shaver section.

jcappe

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »

I may be wrong but just what I'm thinking if the furnace is sweating alot you probably wouldn't want to do the spray foam just for the simple fact that the moisture wouldn't be able to escape at all then.  Just my thought on it.  :-\
Woodmaster 4400
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter
Old Chainsaw that still runs real good!

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:51:13 AM »

I took the plunge and took the stove apart to do the spray insulation.  After getting it apart I discovered that they didn't weld the front of the top plate for the tank which let all the steam out into the roof.  Also found that the cold water return lines are not usable on the stove.  The cold water dumps into the same chamber that the pumps draw from.  I had found this out from a guy who deals with Shaver and I guess that about a dozen got sent out this way.  My fix was to run the cold water return up through the top plate all the way to the front of the stove.  It cost me $380 for the spray insulation that I did myself and even reused the old insuation.  The stove looks kind of puffy with the sides on and all that insulation,  but it shouldn't loose any heat.  Also insulated the back door.  This thing must of been made on a Monday or Friday.

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »

Gandgracing, I would have left the stove apart, and showed the dealer or factory what was wrong with the stove. Got my money back, and had them pick up the stove. If they had a problem with that, I'd be eatin dinner at their house ,every night ,with a few of my friends. Thats taking someones hard earned money if you ask me. You don't buy something brand new to work on it. Bet there will be problems down the road if you hang onto that. Probaly just voided your warranty by putting spray insulation on it. Good Luck! It wouldn't be staying in my neck of the woods! Charlie
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:45:07 PM by charlie »
woodmaster 434 since 2002, 612 gal. storage stss; super splitt;stihl ms360.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »

Been trying to talk with them all Summer.  No response.  Just decided to make it right myself.  Shouldn't have went so cheap from the beginning.

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »

I'd be knocking on their door in person. Plane, train or car >:( Better Business Bureau. The first option usually gets their attention. You were good enough to buy their product, They should be good enough to make things right.Maybe a good door knocking will get the news media involved, then people will know about their shady practices. I wouldn't give in!  I'd expose what their doing anyway you can. Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:29:32 AM by charlie »

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »

Well the house was sitting at around 63 degrees so I decided to start the stove.  Started a fire,  heated the water and then heated the house to around 70.  All was working well,  water was up to temp and so was the house.  Then about 2-3 hrs later the water started boiling ( fan wasn't on and fan door was half open) and here comes the steam.  The whole inside of the stove (insulation and roof) was soaked.  Had to open the rear door to let it air out.  Why is this happening?

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:08 AM »

If the draft door is stuck open, the stove will over fire once up to temp. It will continue to burn until there is no more fuel available. The stove is running away.  Like I said , you will most likely continue to have problems with that stove. I would do whatever you had to, to get my money back. Wait until it's blowing out and 10 degrees with a wind chill of below zero, and you have to deal with the problems. I'd do something now.  Glad I bought a Woodmaster. Call the Better Business Bureau!

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:22:28 AM »

You should return this, get your money back or anything.  You may have voided your warranty though with the spray foam.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 01:42:10 PM »

Well the house was sitting at around 63 degrees so I decided to start the stove.  Started a fire,  heated the water and then heated the house to around 70.  All was working well,  water was up to temp and so was the house.  Then about 2-3 hrs later the water started boiling ( fan wasn't on and fan door was half open) and here comes the steam.  The whole inside of the stove (insulation and roof) was soaked.  Had to open the rear door to let it air out.  Why is this happening?
  Did you seal around the pottable hot water coil access cover with silocone?  I think it explains this in the owners manual. But even if you did seal it up around the access cover if the water boils, steam will leak around the cover.  Fix your water boiling problem, make sure the cover is sealed and you will be ok
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:33:36 PM by yoda »
Northern MN

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »

Also I had to set my thermostat down to about 160 on my stove to keep the water from boiling. I monotored the stove closely the first time I fired it, as soon as I heard the water just start to boil I turned the thermostat on the stove down untill the fan shut off then turned it down a hair further. Haven't had a problem since but this is my first year with it.  So hope it works well this winter.  Also I only leave the fan cover open aprox 1/3
Northern MN

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »

i am not sure how your stove works but it sounds like the fan soor is open a bit to ensure the fire does not smother completely out..by adding insulation you created less heat loss so the air you letinto the stove when the blower is off needs to be reduced to match the amount of heat loss you have now   well at least  that is what i think is happening and that is purely a guess
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »

That is how the shaver works, willie could be right on, I would want to (babysit) the stove and find out if the water is boiling before the forced draft fan shuts off or after, I know how discouraging it can be to buy something new and have trouble :bash:  hang in there you'lle figure it out. So far am am very satisfied with my shaver 165, I hope I feel the same next spring  :thumbup:
Northern MN
Pages: [1] 2 3