Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pipe Thread Sealer  (Read 4163 times)

homelite

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 4030
    • View Profile
Pipe Thread Sealer
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »

Does anyone know what the best pipe sealer is to use. I had threaded pipe joints on some of my fittings on my hot water heater when I  plumbed my heat exchanger . Also compression fittings from pex to threaded fittings. My boiler has been operating approx. 1 month and 50% of my fittings have a slow drip. I used a green thread sealer. I just purchased a blue heavy duty teflon tape sealer. Will handle heat up to 600 degrees. I just wonder if anybody has a better idea before I redo the fittings.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Pipe Thread Sealer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »

i ahve always had good leakproof joints with teflon tape of any color. bad threads are what causes most leaks. chipped dies or dies set too deep or some times they cut the threads too far back (these are tapered threads) and they bottom out in the fitting before they seal

i just forget what the taper is for sure but  i would guess about 3/4 inch per foot
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »

I've read in other places that anabolic thread sealer is the best to use because it doesn't require exposure to air to cure and harden.  That means all of the sealer you put on the threads will cure instead of what's exposed to the air. 

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:19:54 PM »

I have had real good luck with the white teflon paste. I work a layer of it into the threads real good and also use teflon tape over the top of it. (if you use too much paste the tape will just push off as you screw it in)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 06:38:39 AM »

I had a boiler man help me out when I installed everything.  On all threaded fittings (black or brass) we used teflon tape covered in a white paste called Slick-tite.  It is not a thread sealer, but it lubricates the threads even more then just plain teflon.  You'd be amazed at how far together you can thread things with just your hands before you have to break out a wrench if you use that stuff.  0 leaks in my system.   :thumbup:

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:03:14 AM »

+ one for teflon tape.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:08:43 PM by Russ Brumit »
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »

Pipe dope( Blue Block )and teflon tape work good.