Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need Hardy owner advice....To get Shaker Grates or not...  (Read 8765 times)

overrunwithsons

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

We plan to use wood and coal in our Hardy when we get it for this winter.  I have heard some owners do not recommend the Shaker grates , not necessary plus another $300,  they just use a Poker, one dealer told me more smaller parts to bust off with the shaker grates??  Does anyone have any advice as to whether to get them or save the extra $300.   ???

Hank

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Need Hardy owner advice....To get Shaker Grates or not...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »

My dealer told me to that I did not need a shaker grate. I used my H2 with wood loaded first and then load coal on top of the wood. This works good. After a week or so I will let it burn down to almost no fire left, I will clean out what I can then load it back up. I plan on doing this again this year. I would recommend a heavy poker so you can bang the grate to allow the ashes and clinkers to fall through. I have thought about actually putting in a shaker grate a couple of times. But with gas prices the way they are I will hold off. I also don't think it would benefit me that much to have the shaker grate. My unit works just fine without the shaker.  When you first start the wood burner at the beginning of the winter only burn wood for a week to allow a nice bed of coals, then start adding coal. Hope this help.... Hank

dumbodog00

• View Profile
Re: Need Hardy owner advice....To get Shaker Grates or not...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »

I use coal and wood in mine too.  I do pretty much what was said above.  I have a poker that is about 8' long to move things around.  It is important that you make sure to burn down enough to allow the grates to be seen or move ashes so it doen't build up.  If not, too much ash will build up and creosote will build up on the fan blades.  The fire will also burn poorly if there is too much build up.  I have used coal and wood for two years without problem thus far.