Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Few Thermostat and Efficiency Questions  (Read 3843 times)

halfpress

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200CSS
    • View Profile
    • halfpress blog
A Few Thermostat and Efficiency Questions
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »

I was curious what kinds of thermostats folks are using with their wood furnaces and how they configure them. My furnace is a Heatmor 200CSS.

Being the geek that I am, my thermostat is a digital Trane/Schlage Z-Wave-capable thermostat that I can monitor and set via the Internet (also have an iPhone app that tells me what's up, lets me adjust it from anywhere, etc - all driven by a MiCasaVerde Vera 2 home controller). Granted, much of what these thermostats do is disabled since it's simply an on/off setting based on temperature... no second stage or cooling, etc., in my case.

I have a couple of questions that might or might not be wood furnace-unique:

- Is it better to set the thermostat to one desired temp and leave it 24/7, therefore calling the pumps as soon as it drops one degree below? Or should I run it warmer in the morning, cooler in the day, warmer again in the evening and then a good bit cooler during the sleeping hours? I want to know if it significantly impacts the amount of wood I go through for it maintain a set temp vs. losing several degrees during the night and having a big hill to climb come morning.

- Assuming the answer is that a set temperature 24/7 is more efficient - how much does that chosen temperature matter? If my house holds the heat fairly well and there is often quite a bit of time between the thermostat calling the pumps... does it require a lot more wood to keep it at 72 constantly versus, say, 68? I realize it would take effort to boost it up from 68 to 72 initially... but if I'm boosting it every time the thermostat drops one degree, does holding 72 take a lot more than holding 68?

Maybe these are inane questions, but coming from a propane steam boiler and keeping the same cast iron radiators definitely presents efficiency questions for me. I want the best balance of comfort and efficiency - which means how much wood I have to buy and how often I have to load it. :)

Love to hear any comments people have on their thermostat configs, how they run their system, etc., and especially anything unique to a wood furnace in this regard.

Thanks!
 - Aaron

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: A Few Thermostat and Efficiency Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »

I think you are refering to the temp in the boiler correct and not the house?
My opinion would be to keep the boiler at the same temp all the time.You will be causing more creasote build up if you have long periods of idle time due to a lower set point.
My opinion is to have the boiler at the same set point all the time.
WHat if you have a big temp drop while you have the boiler set at a lower temp?It would keep cycling constantly,but yet not produce enough btu's to keep up with the heat load.Just my thoughts,but I am sure others with more experiance will be able to give you some good advice.
I do want to do what you have done to watch your stove on your phone while away.I want to be able to check temps on my android phone and see when it is cycling while at work.That would be so cool.I have to figure out what I need to log the data and such to be able to get it online.
Sounds like a cool set up. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

halfpress

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200CSS
    • View Profile
    • halfpress blog
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:18:20 PM »

Jackel440,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I did mean the thermostat setting within the house. I'm definitely leaving the boiler on its default water temp range (160 - 180, I think). My questions have to do with constant vs. scheduled settings on my in-house thermostat (which calls the pumps at the furnace, which dumps cool water back in, which fires the blowers and burns more wood, etc).

Right now I can monitor my thermostat with this system, but that doesn't tell me when the furnace might be firing its blower separate from a thermostat call... nor how long it runs. I'm hoping to determine the parts I need soon to monitor the circuit of the blower and record on and off times. That would give me some great stats to mix with the ones coming off the thermostat.

The home controller is a MiCasaVerde Vera2 and the thermostat is the Train/Schlage Z-Wave model. I'm adding automated door locks, light controls, etc., over time. Pretty slick system, especially if you're technical and like to tinker. :)

Thanks!
 - Aaron

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »

Ok well I don't know how the temp turn downs would really effect your burn times then.

I thought you were monitoring the boilers functions from your other post.That is what I want to do.I have another thread in the electronics forum i think ,and it is about the Ranco controllers.A gentlman posted there how he is using a "LABJACK" for monitoring his.I think it is really awesome ,and would like to do the same thing.I just emailed that company ,and hope to get a reply back maybe monday.
good luck on  your modernization of your home.Sounds like it will be cool when your done. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:39 AM »

I switched to a cheap digital thermostat. I wanted more control . It has four settings. Cost about  $30.00

On at 5:15 am - 15 minutes before i get up  67* to 73*
 Off at  6"00 am - leaving for work  set  back to 67*
 On at  4:30 pm -15 minutes before wifey gets home. set to 73
 off at 10:00 pm  bedtime.   set back  to 67* for night

I think this helps burn less wood . We do this with our a/c units to use less electricity so i think it would be the same for our wood burners too.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455