Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bought a Troy-Bilt 27 ton splitter  (Read 4521 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Bought a Troy-Bilt 27 ton splitter
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »

I bought a Troy-Bilt 27 Ton splitter on Friday at Lowe's (18 mo. 0% interest ends today if your're interested).  So far it works great!  I split 6 full truck loads over the weekend and didn't have a single problem with it and there wasn't a log that I wasn't able to split.  Does anyone else own one of these?  Any common problems to look out for?  I bought the 4 year extended service plan just in case. 

Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

freefour

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Re: Bought a Troy-Bilt 27 ton splitter
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »

I just bought one this season also.  It's great.  I have yet to find anything it can't split.  I love the easy start Honda motor.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

I have had one for 3 years now, don't use it anymore, should sell it I guess. Have had no problems at all.
Western Maine

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:52:07 PM »

I got one 4 years old.  I always cut the gas off when I finish with it and let it run until it cuts off.  I also use SeaFoam in the gas every once and a while.  I got it out today and it hadn't been started in over a year and it cranked on the first pull - I was shocked!!

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »

Split 8 cords this week with mine, 3rd year and still starts like a champ. Modified the cradle so splits do not fall on engine. Wish I could speed up the cycle time, probably will when I replace pump. But by then I will feel it is fast enough:)

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:40 AM »

Glad to hear everyone likes theirs! I have thought about a cradle to protect the engine as well.  I think I read something in my protection plan that I can't modify it in any way or it voids the coverage.  So that will have to wait 4 more years.  One thing I am going to do is make the tires on it tubeless and put some green slime in them.  I got a flat tire the first time I used it from a thorn in the pasture I was cutting in.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »

Glad to hear everyone likes theirs! I have thought about a cradle to protect the engine as well.  I think I read something in my protection plan that I can't modify it in any way or it voids the coverage.  So that will have to wait 4 more years.  One thing I am going to do is make the tires on it tubeless and put some green slime in them.  I got a flat tire the first time I used it from a thorn in the pasture I was cutting in.

when i was a boy (before the green slime) we used to put tubless car tires on teh front of the the old 8 and 9 n fords and run the original thick corn syrup in them for working in the bush and around thorns..you jsut left the thorn in the tire and could get away with aobut a once a week air top up
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »

when i was a boy (before the green slime) we used to put tubless car tires on teh front of the the old 8 and 9 n fords and run the original thick corn syrup in them for working in the bush and around thorns..you jsut left the thorn in the tire and could get away with aobut a once a week air top up

I have never heard of that before Willie.  I bet it was nasty if you ever had to take that tire off lol.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »

For those of you that have one of these splitters, have you been able to find the Shell Tellus 32 Hydraulic Fluid anywhere?  That's what comes in it and the manual doesn't recommend mixing two different fluids. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:15 PM »

back then, we would just burn the dam things..pull the rim out and start over.. they would be good for starting thorn piles on fire...we polluted back tehn but we re-cycled ;) ;)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MiHawkeye

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heiss Heater
  • OWF Model: gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »

I just bought one if these today. I ran it through its first tank if gas, then split for a good hour. Split every piece I threw at it, green oak and maple, even some nasty crotches thrown it to test it out! (Only in a medical forum or wood splitting forum can you get away with saying that!:)

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »

I'm still very happy with mine.  I've probably split around 15 cords with it without any problems.  As for the hydraulic fluid, if you have a Menards close to you they sell it. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

big don

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 3000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »

I bought my Troy 27 ton splitter in August and have not had any trouble with it at all--split varying wood types as I have a tree trimmer that will bring me any wood that his customer does not want, some pieces as large as 24/26" diameter and some really wicked crotches and it splits with no problem.  However I do have a question for anyone that may  be able to help--That Honda engine has the oil fill and drain plug on the side and the only way to drain it is to muster a army of weight lifters to pick it up on its side to drain.  I am 80 yrs old and do not have the strength to lift it any more.  Any ideas on how any of you that have the same splitter are draining it??? Thank You   Don

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 03:31:03 AM »

The plug on the side is at the bottom of the engine, so draining it there will drain all the oil out without lifting up one side of the engine.