Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Exsisting OWB wanting to convert to a gassifier  (Read 5051 times)

m1sacs

• OWF Brand: fab shop brand
    • View Profile
Exsisting OWB wanting to convert to a gassifier
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »

I have a 350 gallon wood boiler built by a local fab shop that builds and sells them nothing special, But now I want to build a gassifier on it. It has a few water tubes in it I was looking at shutting the current past for the chimney and re routing it up towards the front then back to where it currently goes out. I don't know enough about gassifiers yet so just looking for some ideas?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Exsisting OWB wanting to convert to a gassifier
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:23:08 AM »

Not going to happen m1, look at the way gassers are built, converting a conventional would be a waste of time and money, perhaps your best bet would be a catalyst in the stack to burn the smoke and then attempt to harness that heat with a separate heat exchanger.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

83mike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »

if you're looking for more efficiency or maybe even less smoke I would recommend doing secondary air intake/combustion by adding air tubes like nature's comfort has. I did the same with my global hydronics. my wood consumption was cut by one-third

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »

if you're looking for more efficiency or maybe even less smoke I would recommend doing secondary air intake/combustion by adding air tubes like nature's comfort has. I did the same with my global hydronics. my wood consumption was cut by one-third

Ayuh,....    Please explain abit,..??
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »

http://www.woodheat.org/report-bob-modify.html

It can be done m1.
You won't have true gasser efficiencies by a long stretch, but you ought to be able to cut your consumption by a quarter or a third.

I did something similar to what Bob did with a pipe in pipe conventional that I built about 5 or 6 years ago.
I ended up burning nearly all smoke, but I couldn't capture all the extra heat.
My infrared thermometer goes up to 900+F degrees and I sometimes couldn't get a reading when shooting a reading down the exhaust. 
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

83mike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »

I added two air tubes over the fire that went through the Cole bed first to preheat the over the fire air. With the increase of hot air over the fire it started a very hot secondary burn similar to the newer high efficiency wood stoves. I tried to get pictures but its hard with it currently in use. I should be able to get pictures to show soon as I'm not burning as much now with the warmer weather here in northern Michigan.

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »

I am interested in this also. How are you getting the air into the tubes?

83mike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:27:34 AM »

My stove has forced air coming in from the rear of the firebox. I hooked my tubes directly into those. The primary and secondary air come in from the same spot.

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »

Just wondering if you guys r still alive after your gas experiments???
   Gasifiers work the best with induced draft. The Germans perfected syn gas back in ww2. After they came around and confiscated everyone's gas for the war effort. Syn gas can b chilled n condensed to a volatile liquid form. 
  The problems you r going to face is keeping it under control. You need to use a computer board with damper and the induced draft and several safety monitoring sensors.
    The vehicles back in Germany used 100% to the manifold then mixed there with cooler fresh air.
 Two butterfly valves working together.   Good luck n don't get hurt.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY