Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: shaver nightmares  (Read 11046 times)

doow14

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
shaver nightmares
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:58:51 PM »

hello been reading about all the shaver problems for a while now you guys got me scared. going into my 4th winter with a shaver 165 and haven't had any big problems yet,knock on wood.any ideas about flushing out the tank? I drained it out last week for the first time it was pretty clear.filled it back up and it was nasty rusty brown, opened up the drain again and flushed with the hose as it drained never cleared back up.think maybe I just stired up a bunch of gunk from the bottom,not sure if the drain is up from the bottom some and cant drain completely.what's your thoughts.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: shaver nightmares
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »

Yea there was likely a thick layer of crap in the bottom..  You got it all stirred up but under that layer of crap that's been in there is likely where corrosion is taking place, the sludge keeps the treatment from being able to interact with the steel itself.  So it's hard telling, but I've heard and read from many members that there is always massive a amounts of slag in the bottom of there shaver...
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:58:54 AM »

do you mean welding slag,are they that bad they wouldn't flush all that out when they were finished.anyone with ideas how to get that crap out short of turning the stove upside down and flushin with a fire hose.thanks
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »

Mine had a lot of flag in it. And I've had 2 different stoves that rusted through. Maybe u could jack up the front of the stove and use a shop vac to suck that crap out.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:28:49 AM »

Yes welding slag, I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it all out.  But there are several post that mention it,I think someone under Rutgers post was just talking about it as well
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »

you had 2 stoves rust thru what make were they shavers?thought about trying to jack up the front a bit like you said.probably never get all the goo out but somes better than none.thanks

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »

Ys gandg had 2 of them fail, both shavers
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:36:55 AM »

I bet he didn't buy a 3rd one.been lookin around in guts of that thing all morning.welds don't look real good to me looks like the drain hole is about 3/4 inch above the bottom of the tank that lets a lot of area for gunk to settle don't think no amount of flushing will ever get it out. I;m thinkin I could weld better and my welding skills aren't much above a drunken monkey.ok i'm goin to try not gripin about it anymore it is what it is i'm goin to figure out a solution.any ideas you guys can throw out are appreaciated.thanks again, doow

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »

What boiler treatment are you using? It is important that every couple of years to use a boiler flush and add some white vinegar with it to flush out not only the furnace, but the heat exchanger in the home furnace as well. You don't want that to plug up!

Then use a good boiler treatment after the flush. I recommend Alternative Heating and Supplies. They have good products.

Their link is: www.altheatsupply.com

Tell them Greg Steinacher sent you. They are good folks!

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:28:44 AM »

I talked too mike at wood boiler solutions ,where I order my chem from{101} last week he said too refill and add 10 gal of white vinegar and fire it up for few hours did that.In the past years I haven't sealed off that inspection plate and it boils off a lot of water but I have a test kit and always maintain proper chem level.yesterday I refilled and flushed again it was a little clearer I added 3/4 gal 101 and refilled. drilled a hole in the plate and put a robber stopper in so I can add chem if needed.its sealed up tight now.Put a stopper in the overflow pipe also.What is the boiler cleaner your talkin of? I'll do that too next summer.Thanks for the heads up

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »

You sealed the overflow pipe?  :o  Do you have it running now or is that just while it is sitting? Sealing it off with it running is not a good idea.

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »

Its not running now,but that's how I did it the last 2 seasons.Do you think it would up pressure now that the inspection plate is sealed good?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »

It has to be able to vent somewhere. If you seal it up completely and run it bad things will happen. Especially if it boils for some reason. The weakest point would blow out which may be your plugs but not necessarily.

What is the reason for sealing the overflow?

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »

I just put the cork in it because its always steaming off, always adding water too it then have to add more 101.maybe I wont do it this year since I sealed up the inspection plate real good that should cut way back on the water loss this season.Alot of times when I top out the tank when it starts coming out it runs a little bit after the valve is off so I just put the cork in.I was talking to the guy at boiler solutions last winter he asked me how much water do I add, I guessed couple gal a week he said a lot of stoves only need maybe a gal for the whole season, what kind of stove is it I told him the "S" word and he went o-yea we have a whole different maint program for shavers.I always added a little 101 thru the season,but now I test evey few weeks to make sure its enough.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »

Wow wow

Just for the record, your wood boiler should not be using water like that.  I've ran and tested many designs here at my shop and home.  Over the course of an entire winter on a stove that's operating properly I've seen most will hold only a few gallons if that.  If your having to add water constantly you have no control over the water temp obviously, which is what's causing it to boil off so much.  Sounds like you have more issues going on than what you may have realized. 

But never pressurize am open system.  It's like building a bomb, i know u said cork but I can see some redneck thinking if his cork helped a steel cap will fix it good lol.  :thumbup:
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: [1] 2 3