Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oil is now so cheap I'm giving my OWB a break!  (Read 7837 times)

gspren

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML 30
    • View Profile
Oil is now so cheap I'm giving my OWB a break!
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »

Today I got my oil tank filled for $1.69 Gal and if I pay in 10 days I can knock another 2 cents off. Last year I went through some of this years wood so I am switching the house/domestic back to oil and just use the OWB to heat my "Man Cave" shed where my old dog lives and I relax. It's a 12 X 22 shed with a cast iron radiator and I keep it about 62 degrees, only need to fire the wood off once a day and use very little. Maybe this way I'll get caught up on my wood cutting.
Portage & Main ML30
Stihl 261
Stihl 044 (15 years old)
Stihl 041 (30 years old)
Yamaha Kodiak 4 Wheeler
John Deere 2355 4x4 loader tractor
70 acres (23 wooded)

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Oil is now so cheap I'm giving my OWB a break!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

Trader >:D.    I might consider the same approach, but all I have is a wood burner, I really should put a backup system in before I can't get wood anymore.
Western Maine

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

Propane is cheap this year as well but there is no way I'm going to start using it and limit my stove use. As long as I'm able to cut firewood, those oil and gas companies can choke on their product. Especially after they've been putting it to the less fortunate ( non Stove owners ) for YEARS.
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 06:53:27 PM »

Propane is cheap this year as well but there is no way I'm going to start using it and limit my stove use. As long as I'm able to cut firewood, those oil and gas companies can choke on their product. Especially after they've been putting it to the less fortunate ( non Stove owners ) for YEARS.

Like when propane hit $5 a gallon awhile back?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:58:17 PM »

a couple of years ago my son paid for one fill up of his propane tank 1.14 per liter (that prompted me to build him an OWB) This year I installed a whole house generator that uses propane (I have no natural gas near me) and my fill up price was 49.9 per litre, that was in December I am thinking it may be less now?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 10:18:57 PM »

I admit tempting for people that purchase wood, not so tempting for people that have access to free wood.  I have not done the math here, but I pay $140 per full cord of wood and burn on average 13 cord a year.  That is just over 1,800.  In the past with propane cost I would not blink a eye at 1,800.  But here is the catch, when I burned propane 4 years ago It cost me $825 per month with the stat set at 58 degrees.  With wood I run my house mostly at 68 - 70.  If memory serves me right first propane fill was December, January, February, and last fill March.  Average fill then was around 800 - 850.  Total cost to heat my house at 58 degrees four years ago was 3,300, and was cold and miserable.  Only propane appliance was the furnace everything else is electrical. So lets look further, if I was to heat the house to 68 degrees using propane, my costs could have soared to 5,000 or even more.  Savings approx 3,200 per year WOW!..  If prices got low enough, never will for this old farm house.  The thought of just turning a dial up without dealing with wood .. I would be a trader in a heart beat.

gspren

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:03:03 AM »

I have access to "Free" wood right here on my little farm, I have good saws, tractor with loader, ATV, UTV, trailers and splitter, but at 64 years old with a bad ankle I cut only a few hours at a time. With these oil prices I am trying to get ahead on next years wood while still keeping a fire going for the Man Cave.
Portage & Main ML30
Stihl 261
Stihl 044 (15 years old)
Stihl 041 (30 years old)
Yamaha Kodiak 4 Wheeler
John Deere 2355 4x4 loader tractor
70 acres (23 wooded)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »

Even with the low oil prices, the cost it saves me to buy a grapple load, cut, split and stack it compared to the amount oil it takes to heat that old house, it's still cheaper for me to burn wood.  Plus, I consider running the chainsaw, woodsplitter and stacking it part of my wellness program.  Now, in 10 years time check back with me, I may change my mind.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 11:23:45 AM »

if you do a little each day its easy doing wood! i do about an hour a day , some day i might cut for an hour, another day i put some in the wood shed or one day clean up the mess, but every day for a hour i something that has to do with the wood burner,and like rodger said its better and cheeper then the gym!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

fireman69lfd

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »

I work for a Fuel Company and 10 years ago when fuel prices were $2.40 I decided it was time to go with an OWB. I had a small wood boiler in the basement but it didn't burn that long, and the colder it was the more I was gone working. It just didn't work out, and at $6500 a year for fuel oil I am am very happy with to outside time that burning wood makes me do. I love it !!
Russ
Near Okemo Mtn. Ski area Vermont

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 06:51:25 PM »

1.95for#1fuel oil here !!!  Yea....I need to have an oil boiler to bring my energy rating up ,as it scores my system by efficiency! ...I will tie in to my wood coal set up!

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »

gspren, I understand what you are doing. I think it's a good idea. Sometimes people fall behind cutting wood, maybe because of an injury or extra time spent at work or whatever the case may be. Now is a good time to conserve your resources and buy some less expensive fossil fuel and get caught-up on your wood supply.
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »

I won’t “pay” for heat unless I have no choice, with the emerald ash borer I have another 100 ash trees to drop this winter then next winter we are having 70 some plus trees logged out for furniture. Mostly red oak, white oak and cherry with a few veneer quality walnuts and hard maples. Would be a sin to let that go to waste.

In the shoulder seasons I heat the shop and house with a waste oil boiler.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 08:20:39 PM »

Even with the low oil prices, the cost it saves me to buy a grapple load, cut, split and stack it compared to the amount oil it takes to heat that old house, it's still cheaper for me to burn wood.  Plus, I consider running the chainsaw, woodsplitter and stacking it part of my wellness program.  Now, in 10 years time check back with me, I may change my mind.  Roger

I’m still doing physical therapy for my neck and back, I started around the first of September, my therapist says as long as I can do it without causing any more damage, cutting wood is great therapy. It takes strength, stamina and flexibility to do.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »

WE moved this (last) year to rurals and filled the propane tank at 1.01$ per gallon and locked in a contract at 1.48$ for two years.   I said, " why hook up the boiler at all this year?"

By November I couldn't stand looking at that boiler not running.   So, its hooked up and running.  It will take a few more years to pay itself off now  that propane is cheap.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.
Pages: [1] 2 3