Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: vent hood ideas  (Read 3019 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
vent hood ideas
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »

gents,

Im installing my boiler underneath a lean too and am going to enclose just the section where I load wood to stay out of the elements (wind mostly). I was wondering what people have used in the past for ventilation on indoor units (grages, pole barns..ect). Im thinking either a big vent hood or maybe even just an industrial exhaust fan???

Just looking for ideas...

thanks!

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: vent hood ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »

I think you will get a fair amount of smoke out the door when loading, at least I do with my GS100 (no bypass), I do start the draft by turning the control on and off which helps and prevents blowback. But mine is outside.
I imagine a big hood right down to the roofline and exhaust fan would work. But I never tried one. Interested in what guys have done.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »

I tried the crappy inline fans from Menards or HD and they die a quick painful death. I know schoppy on here has a nice hood setup on his G200 using a squirrel cage, which I would like to mimic. I bought a nice squirrel last fall but haven't gotten around to building the hood just yet. Perhaps he will respond with his setup

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »

I think you will get a fair amount of smoke out the door when loading, at least I do with my GS100 (no bypass), I do start the draft by turning the control on and off which helps and prevents blowback. But mine is outside.
I imagine a big hood right down to the roofline and exhaust fan would work. But I never tried one. Interested in what guys have done.

This unit does have a "load switch" which is essentially the same thing as turning the GS100 on and off like you mentioned you do. IT will clean some of the smoke, but not all of it for sure.

I was thinking maybe just a big exhaust fan mounted on the wall above the unit.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »

Yes, i think they're adding a loading switch too this year on GS models. I'll keep turning the switch on and off on mine, I guess I could drill a hole for a switch and wire it in.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:08:21 AM by E Yoder »

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 09:53:26 PM »

Hey d5knapp, scroll down to the subject "Does anyone put a roof over their OWB" in this General Outdoor Furnace Discussion section. Go to page 2 in the middle of the page I have 2 pics there of the vent hood on my G200. Wouldn't be without it and it works great. Used a mobile home circulating blower and had the Amish make me the sheet metal hood to my specs. I have about $25 dollars into if I remember right. I don't know how to transfer the pics from there and I deleted mine at home.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 04:07:01 AM »

Wonder if you could ask around at anybody doing HVAC in your area for old air handlers from changeouts. I see them setting around at a lot of places.   Could probably get one at scrap price. The fan wheel might eventually get cruddy with soot.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »

Wonder if you could ask around at anybody doing HVAC in your area for old air handlers from changeouts. I see them setting around at a lot of places.   Could probably get one at scrap price. The fan wheel might eventually get cruddy with soot.

probably just need a good scraping light the fans on the boilers do at the end of the year

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »

It's worth a try anyway if you get one cheap. We've got a few old heat pump air handlers out back if you happen to ride through Virginia.  ;D

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »

It's worth a try anyway if you get one cheap. We've got a few old heat pump air handlers out back if you happen to ride through Virginia.  ;D

hahah thanks!