Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Earth Outdoor 505  (Read 5595 times)

Midnight Farms

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Still Researching
    • View Profile
Earth Outdoor 505
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »

Looking at purchasing a Earth Outdoor 505.  Talked to the sales rep, and got some pricing, but that's about all I got from them.  I didn't get the impression that they care much to "design" as system, just want to sell the burner.  They were ready to sell insulated pipe - it seems they have the ability to make their own, as he was able to quote me, custom to my anticipated need. 

So...  Does anyone have the 505 want to tell me the pros/cons of it that you have seen so far?
Anyone utilize Earth Outdoor insulated pipe?  Any good?

Thanks!
~Nick

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Outdoor 505
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »

I have the earth mt. man 500 and love it!!! I did purchase the 3 wrap they sell and at the time they didn't manufacture it. I would stay clear of any 3 wrap, 5 wrap, or any wrap insulated underground pex because I replaced my setup with LOGSTOR and what a difference,  it was like super charging my system. I stand fully behind earth and their products but don't go cheap on the underground pex, my replacement project cost me around $3000. bucks and LOGSTOR is the way to go on any OWF you decide to go with. The earth outdoor wood furnaces in my opinion are the best bang for your buck,  there built like tank and simple to operate !!! Their costumer service in my opinion was excellent. Every time I needed assistance they were there for me and their warranty is a 25 year better then most. Hope this helps you out and this is a grate website for info and knowledge !!! A lot of grate people on here !!!
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

banjoman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »

I agree with Scarface totally. I have been using mine (Rancher 365) for 3 years trouble free. I think this stove will outlast me. I used the piping that Central Boiler sells (Thermopex). Like Scarface said, don't skimp on the underground pipe. You can have the greatest stove available but the piping is the the lifeline to get the heat to the house. I have a friend that bought the Mt. Man 505 and he also has had no problems.

Midnight Farms

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Still Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »

Thank you to you both...  I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to stick up for this brand.

And thank you for the words about the closed cell insulation.  It's very tempting to go for the economic solution.  In the end, it is gonna cost more!

Anything else I should know about Earth?
The sales rep talked me out of the burner with the auger to get out coals.  You guys agree?

~Nick

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »

The sales rep talked me out of the burner with the auger to get out coals.  You guys agree?

~Nick

Just sounds like another place for corrosion to start.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

banjoman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:14:31 AM »

Keep it simple. That's just another place for possible trouble. Get a spare pump and blower fan to put on the shelf just for emergency.