Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Ridgewood 2000 - Fire!!!  (Read 22887 times)

golffanman

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgewood 2000
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 08:50:28 AM »

Gittin there...........won't be long and there will be smoke!
 :thumbup:
Huskee 22 Ton Splitter
Husqvarna 450 Chainsaw
Northern Industrial Timberjack
Northern Industrial Steel Skidding Tongs
Ford 600 Tractor w/front end loader

Chicken farmer

• OWF Model: 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »

Finished up the electrical at the boiler today. Hopefully I'll be filling it tomorrow and then draining it to fix all my leaking copper solder joints and then refilling. Getting close!! I have some pictures of the progress but the uploader is still broke off.
30 yrs burning wood - new to the boiler scene
Midwestern Ohio

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »

Added a section of stainless chimney and tried to fill, but my heat exchanger leaks - dang. Pulled heat exchanger and took to a local HVAC shop for repair. More delay's!!!
Midwestern Ohio

Vincent Paul

• OWF Model: 7500
  • Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »

I'm with you ChickenFarmer.  Since I am doing this alone and am a decent carpenter but crappy plumber, I just now finished my sidearm and am ready to get to the inside furnace heat exchanger.  Stick with it, I've had some awesome help on this site.  We'll both be up and running soon.....................vpm
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »

Hey VP!! I know it will get done. I was just really excited to get it filled and get a fire going in this thing. This was my shot at sweating copper, so there was a learning curve. I had trouble with making the fittings approximately 11,000 degrees to hot, but I figured it out. Good thing I only had a few fitting to sweat. This delay with the heat exchanger unit has me thinking about radiant baseboard. I'll probably just wait and see what the HVAC shop has to say about my coil.
Midwestern Ohio

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
Re: Ridgewood 2000 - Fire!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »

Got the heat exchanger back from the HVAC shop. They were able to fix it up. Got all the wiring and T-stat stuff straightened out. Filled and bled the air out. Got fire going in it now. Seems to work just fine. I'll post pictures up when the uploader gets fixed or I'll have to make an account on some photo hosting site. Stay tuned!! Thanks for all the tips and conversation!!!
Midwestern Ohio

jamesbodeis

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »

Good deal!
Ridgewood 7500

The thumb of michigan.

Jonsered 2260
Husqvarna 455 Rancher- stolen =(

Vincent Paul

• Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »

Awesome Chicken Farmer!!  Going to finish my furnace heat exchanger tomorrow and fill with water Saturday morning.  Keep your fingers crossed.............vpm
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

golffanman

• OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »

Good Job Chicken Farmer.........you are going to love it.
Huskee 22 Ton Splitter
Husqvarna 450 Chainsaw
Northern Industrial Timberjack
Northern Industrial Steel Skidding Tongs
Ford 600 Tractor w/front end loader

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »

My wife already says she likes the "softer" heat this system makes. We had a wood forced air furnace (for sale) in the basement before but it would throw some intense heat. Not as comfortable. I think I'm going to add another section of chimney pipe for a total of 5 feet. It seems to struggle a little bit to get going again when the damper door opens. I'm hoping the increased draft will help with that. So far, with 2 days burn time under my belt, I like it. It is definately a different animal from the forced air furnace (for sale). I grew up in a house with a fireplace insert that was burned non-stop every winter, so the wood burning thing is not new to me. Having the fire outside gives me peace of mind. I remember times when my dad would get that insert roaring and it would make him nervous, so he would sit up and watch it. We would find him in the morning passed out in his chair. I don't have a good wood storage system in place yet. Most it is stacked up in the yard beside the stove. I also have 3 16ft grain wagons filled to heaping, 1 in my barn and 2 stored in the neighbor's barn. I don't really want to leave the wagons sit out in the weather. I will be addressing the issue in the spring. All-in-all, I think I'm going to really like this system. I'm kind of a tinkerer, so I appreciate the flexiblity of the system. If you want to add something, you just cut it in. Not as simple when dealing with duct work.
Midwestern Ohio

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
Re: Ridgewood 2000 - Fire!!! - Trouble!!
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »

So, I hear the damper opening and closing rapidly while I was out tending the chickens. I go to the stove to see what's going on. The controller flashing all kind of crazy numbers and the damper door is going wild. Water is pouring out of the sight glass weep hole and steam is rolling out of the vent tube. I shut power off to it quickly. I give Ridgewood a call and they sent out a new controller,  no fuss, no gripes, no questions. These guys are top shelf. I am glad I bought stove from them. From here on out, I plan to have spare controller on the shelf though. I'm also going to add an aquastat to the damper circuit. I've got an extra pump port on the back of the water jacket that would make an excellent spot for the 'stat to go. If the water starts to get too hot, it will cut the Ac voltage to the solenoid coil.

Craig asked me if I would consider being a display stove for them. I might just do it.
Midwestern Ohio

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »

Lost a solenoid last night. Water temp down to 97 deg. I had a spare from when I picked up the stove. Got it swapped in and am running now. I called Ridgewood and they will have another part out to me tomorrow. I think the coil burned out due to the damper door sticking closed on the creosote. I've been running all year at 180 but I think I'm going to bump it to 190. I've read some guys have had better luck with running cleaner at that temp. I also looked at Grainger and they sell a 120VAC solenoid with a much higher pull force, although it has a much higher amp pull at full stroke. The mounting holes are slightly wider but thats no big deal. The controller is rated to handle 16A, so that should not be and issue. I might add a resistor/capacitor network actross the contacts to control inrush arc.

Anyhow.....I still like the stove and it's warm in the house. I just saw the propane guy at the neighbor's house today. That's twice this year so far.......ouch
Midwestern Ohio

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 03:01:32 AM »

Chicken farmer, we used to have lots of issues with Sequoyah Paradise stoves on their solenoids, to fix the issue we moved the solenoid about a foot away from the blast tube and put on a longer spring, this helped with overheating the solenoid from back drafts and at the same time gave much more flexibility for the spring, even if the draft door stuck closed it allowed the solenoid to pull fully open so it would not short it out.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Chicken farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2015, 01:00:35 PM »

Thanks for the input SlimJim. The problem is that there isn't a way to move the solenoid unless the design of the door is changed.
Midwestern Ohio

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »

Could we have a picture?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6