Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: furnace keeps going into safety mode  (Read 3020 times)

kso5002

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400 DCSS
    • View Profile
furnace keeps going into safety mode
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »

So last night, in negative degree weather, my stove went out entirely. I couldn't figure out why until I spent the entire  day babysitting the damn thing to get a coal bed built up again. It kept shutting off after going into safety mode, which means the burner had to reach temps greater than 180. This happened at least 6 times that I saw, but maybe more while I was in the house. The issue is that the thermostat never read above 170. We have the aquastat set to 180 with a 5 degree differential and yet the thermostat usually reads around 155-160.  This problem just started last night. The stove is brand new, just installed in October and we have already replaced the aquastat and the high temp, non adjustable aquastat back in november, do we need to do so again? Anyone else have these issues?

heat550

• OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
Re: furnace keeps going into safety mode
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:55:27 AM »

So last night, in negative degree weather, my stove went out entirely. I couldn't figure out why until I spent the entire  day babysitting the damn thing to get a coal bed built up again. It kept shutting off after going into safety mode, which means the burner had to reach temps greater than 180. This happened at least 6 times that I saw, but maybe more while I was in the house. The issue is that the thermostat never read above 170. We have the aquastat set to 180 with a 5 degree differential and yet the thermostat usually reads around 155-160.  This problem just started last night. The stove is brand new, just installed in October and we have already replaced the aquastat and the high temp, non adjustable aquastat back in november, do we need to do so again? Anyone else have these issues?

I'm thinking you have alot newer stove . But I had a issue years back where acted screwy and we found out it was a wiring issue as we changed out stats also .  and it was just how the 2 aqua states were wired .  Look deep in to the Manuel and double check wiring . Some one else might have better ideas also . stats are not cheap . and chances of 2 being bad are pretty slim .

heat550

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:55:49 AM »

Shouldn't the stove reset its self when the temps come back down? If the high limit aquastat was tripped at 200, then after a hour or however much time passed water temp comes back down to 175, shouldn't the fan come back on and keep fire going? Was there still wood left in the firebox when the fire went out or had it all burned up? I had a fire almost go out on the coldest night of the year this winter and I believe it was from burning a little too wet of wood, and I hadn't taken out ashes in awhile. water temp had gotten down to 100 or 120. 

Do you have more than one gauge to verify the temp gauge on the front of the boiler is correct? Maybe it is actually overheating and the gauge is wrong.

My stove is the same, if aquastat is set at 180 the temp gauge front of stove never shows 180, its usually 170 when the fan turns off.

The only time mine has tripped the 200 degree high limit safety is when the flapper door stuck open in warm weather, I think the 400 has two fans, make sure power is off to the fans, take them out and work the flapper open and closed by hand and see if there is any binding. Mine was being held open by cresote, it was tough to diagnose the problem because by the time i worked the fan out of the mounting hole it would free up the flapper from being bumped around.

Why were the two aquastats replaced in november? Similar issue? 

Does the bladder have water in it, bladder valve is open, ashes are empty?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:02:15 AM by hrc200x »

kso5002

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 400 DCSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »

I have the 400, so yes, two blowers. And yes, it should reset but there is no way the stove has reached 200 degree more than a dozen times in the last 24 hours, when it hasn't reached 200 degrees since we started the fire back in October. (and that was just because we had the door open while getting a coal bed going).

The night it went out, the stove was fully loaded on a good bed of coals. I went out in the morning to check it and none of the wood was burnt except for some scorch marks on the very bottom pieces.

Both aquastats were replaced in November because we couldn't keep a fire going then either. Dealer thought the high temp aquastat could be faulty. We haven't had any problems since we replaced it until now, but its only been 3 months!

Bladder is fine, I put more in yesterday, but it didn't need it. Valve is open and ashes are empty.

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:46:12 PM »

When the fire went out, what was the water temp when you discovered no fire, and were the fans running?

I've also had the flapper door cresote shut, so even though the fan was on it wasn't able to blow on the fire, and the fire went out.

From what I under stand, if the high limit is reached and its still in the time frame of being too hot and you flip the light switch down the outdoor light won't come on, also, the fan won't come on like it normally does when the outer door is opened. Does that seem to coincide with whats happening to yours?