Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Lesson Learned  (Read 5118 times)

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
A Lesson Learned
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »

Shaver, I wish I knew then what I know now.  I think we all would have chosen another brand. 

I've had some issues and now am left with this forum and George to help out.  I'm in the process of tearing down one side at a time,  I paint what I can with a product called Rust Seal.  It works well.  I then re insulate and I have replaced the tin siding on one side.  Now I hope I can get another year out of it.

Cutting wood is hard enough and now to try to upkeep on a rusting stove, that was never even painted........At least it has a 20 year warranty right?   LOL

If anyone knows of the latest insulation to use, I would appreciate some info.

And if anyone could recommend a good company to replace this stove with....I think Portage and Maine might be my choice for my next one.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks 

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: A Lesson Learned
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »

Yeap, they certainly are junk. How much wood are you burning per year? Are you going with a gasser?

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:27:09 AM »

I'd stick with something like fiberglass so it can breathe if you expect you might get leaks. Don't want water trapped against the tank.
I work with Heatmaster (as you probably can tell). I think their GS models are some of the best bang for the buck they've offered in a while.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »

If you are looking for another conventional unit then by all means the Portage and Main Ultimizer is top of the line and should be considered.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:38:11 AM »

Debatable^^^... The Heatmaster C series and Crown Royal are both right up there too. This is only my opinion, but P&M's draft system leaves something to be desired. There is no damper to positively shut down draft, and in the warmer weather they tend to creep after shutdown. The fan motor is screwed with 2 self tappers to a 14-16 gauge bracket and has an aluminum flex running from there to the inducer port. Efficiency wise, yes they are great but the finish work is a bit cheesy in that area. Then again they are the only ones with a double door to keep the heat in instead of losing it out the door. Each has their quirks, but I do install quite a few Heatmaster and Crown conventionals with very happy customers as well

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 07:01:08 AM »

No damper, look closer, that's what the metal box with the flapper dud inside is, its weighted to close when the blower shuts down

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »

Far as insulation, look for rock wool if you can find it, its like fiberglass but is made of slag from the steel mills. They run the slag thru what looks like a very large cotton candy machine. Has same as or better insulation values as fiberglass but won’t absorb water like fiberglass can and supposedly bugs and vermin hate the stuff. Not to mention, its slag so virtually fire proof.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »

No damper, look closer, that's what the metal box with the flapper dud inside is, its weighted to close when the blower shuts down

I was unclear I guess, you are correct. There is a flapper. I looked at 3 of them in the same weekend around the neighborhood a few weeks ago and all of them were stuck open just a bit, as though the weight wasn't enough for positive closure. Two of them were brand new. By damper, I was referring to a vertical, solenoid operated gate that will actually close via gravity as long as there's no yuck in it. To each their own of course, but I was not impressed with that part of it. Don't get me wrong, they have quite a machine there- I just feel as though the draft could use a little updating

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »

I agree that the box and inlet air tube seem to be light duty especially considering the quality of the rest of the boiler, I never had any issue with the flapper sticking either open or closed

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »

Have you seen them overshoot the landing Slim? For example the 1 I installed was brand new. I set it to 150 on first fire and let it be, with everything circulating but nothing calling. This was a ~45 degree day. By the time it was done creeping, water temp was 192 degrees. This is where I found the flapper partially open. Not stuck, just like the factory weight wasn't quite enough to close it all the way. I stopped at a dealer on the way home from there who had one left on the lot, which had the flapper in the same position at rest. The following day I had a customer's unit of the same model to look at and his was yet again in the same position. I believe his was 7 years old, but his was piped with the supply on top and had no complaints of creep, but also had a huge load on it all the time.. Just baffled me

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »

That's good observation, my experiences with them as far numbers go is very limited, I can't sell them here but they certainly performed well where I was able to use them.

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »

Just wondering! There may have been a weird fluke. Just relaying what I saw