Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New build plan, looking for suggestions  (Read 15301 times)

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: New build plan, looking for suggestions
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »

The chimney does go most of the way down to the floor of the firebox.  I don't remember exactly how far without taking a tape measure, but it is roughly 6 or 7" off the floor of the firebox I think.  I didn't take pictures of the building of the door itself, but what I did was take a piece of 3/8 and cut it with a torch to match my opening, then welded some round-nose angle around the outside of it to overlap the door frame, and this gap is where my rope gasket sits.  As for the fire brick, I laid my door down flat on my work bench and built a frame out of some 1/8" flat metal I had laying around.  I basically stacked the firebricks on the door the way I wanted, then marked the outline of them with soapstone and built a frame off those dimensions.  Then, I welded a few places around the frame to hold it to the door and inserted the firebricks, then laid expanded metal down across the top and tacked it all around to hold the bricks in place.  I did not use any adhesive to hold them if that was what you were referring to.  I shot a few photos if that helps any.  Don't laugh at my door latch and hinges--I've never had a shop class, so everything I fabbed was cut out with the torch and looks pretty rudimentary, but at least it works.  :)  My father-in-law helped with the water-tight welding of the tanks, but the door and everything else I've tried to do on my own.  Needless to say, his work is much prettier than mine.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »

Don't need to be purty to work. If anybody doesn't like it they can stand out in the cold and ponder the error of their ways.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 04:51:58 AM »

Nice job. What size welder is that? How did it hold up? I think if I were gonna do that maybe i would buy a door from central boilers and fit it to the boiler.Im going to start collecting the stuff and be ready to reproduce your build.Ive had my central for 5 years and love it but it wont last forever.I really like the double latch.

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »

Thanks! It's been a job, but I'm relatively happy with the outcome this far.  The welder is a 220v Lincoln Weldpack 155. It held up really well-no complaints. I did use .045 flux core wire on the tanks and heavier welding, everything else was .035 flux core.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »

Thanks! It's been a job, but I'm relatively happy with the outcome this far.  The welder is a 220v Lincoln Weldpack 155. It held up really well-no complaints. I did use .045 flux core wire on the tanks and heavier welding, everything else was .035 flux core.

Do yourself a favor in the future and get a gas kit for it. Fluxcore is great for welding outside or slightly rusted/dirty metal, it's not great for getting water tight weld on the first try, and with a gas kit you can actually burn a .045 wire instead of some wire and some flux.

Another hint, when you have a big enough project to burn a whole spool up, get the uncoated wire, the copper coating on the wire makes for a lot more splatter. The copper coating does have it's use though as well, the wire won't rust near as quick with it, most stuff I use copper coated, boilers I use uncoated.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 05:33:08 AM »

nice please let us know how it does during the season good Luck!!
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »

Haven't updated in a bit.  Really, I wanted to be finished with this project before now, but sometimes the best-laid plans don't work out the way we wanted.  Anyway, I had a trencher come out to run from the house to the boiler and from the boiler to my shop (for the electrical).  I opted to foam-in-trench, and hope it does the trick.  I just finished running the underground electrical from my shop today and will be making all of the connections/terminations tomorrow after church.  Here are a few pics of what I've been working on lately:

I have to throw one of the wifey on here since she was so gracious to help out on the line installation:

And I can't forget to thank the child labor that I utilized in back-filling the trench:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:26:34 PM by Jd79 »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 03:13:17 AM »

Great looking Family!!!! Remember those times when you work together as in most cases they don't last long, some of my fondest memories of our family with the youngsters at home was when we built this behemoth of a house, The youngsters are gone now, doing their own thing, Life with them is short so ENJOY it while you can!!!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 05:27:17 AM »

very nice, any updates on its performance? did you put feet on the fireboc to sit inside the water jack or is it just welded to the face plate and free hanging???????

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »

Looks great when do think it will be up and running?
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)
Pages: 1 2 [3]