Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Heat exchangers  (Read 13323 times)

ghitch75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Heat exchangers
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »

yes filter is a must or the coil turns into the filter :thumbup:

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:51 AM »

I never install in the plenum

I always try to install in the main trunk line supply

If that don't work I'll go to the return side and make a new filter space.

If you install in the supply side of the main line the air is already filtered
my mistake on referring to plenum...i also installed in the main feed trunk after the filter. just after the furnace itself (very sorry for error)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

automan77

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
  • Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:01 AM »

I have a buddy that has a 18x20 in a 1,800 sq ft home. Would that be like 140,000 btu
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

Troy Built 27 ton splitter

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »

Great thread here.

I (for some reason) had assumed that the heat exchanger needed to be in the plenum over the A-coil (upflow propane-fired)furnace).

That was going to be a difficult trick in my situation, installing it in the main trunk line will be a breeze.

I'm learning.   8)

Thanks!
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

automan77

• Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:14 AM »

Who has the best price on a 12x18 heat exchanger
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

Troy Built 27 ton splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »

I have a buddy that has a 18x20 in a 1,800 sq ft home. Would that be like 140,000 btu

No...  The numbers on the box are worthless

How can the manufacturer know how much water will be flowing through the coil?  They don't

Do they know if we installed 3/4" lines or 2" lines, they don't.   

What I'm saying is there is no way to determine what size coil you need by simply looking a a btu rating on the box.  I can take the same coil, put it in my system and get 60k btu an hour, take it to another stove, another system, and it make 110,000 btu an hour.....  Same coil, different system design
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »

the real pros can straighten me out here if i am wrong but here is something i always think and i could very well be wrong...so here goes

lets take your house and a water hose...you house us putting out 40 pounds pressure, you have a outside tap with a y on it..youhave a 50 foot garden hose on one side of the y and the other side shut off. you open the tap and lests say for fn you are getting 3 gpm out the hose....now you open the other side of the y with another 50 foot hose on it,,,because you have now given that 40 pounds pressure some where else to go so you have eased the head pressure  in the first hose and added head pressur in the second hose,,but you have likley reduced the velocity at which the water is moving so in fact it is moving slower but it will not be half or what it was so lets say now it could be moving 2 gp in each hose so now you have 4 gpm...i think a larger heat exchanger may do this as well...you are capable of moving say 6 gpm through an exchanger that has maybe 8 tubes but your pump is capable of 10..so you are pushing with the force of ten but due to friction you can only get 6 through the exchanger...add now, an exchanger with 16 tubes you are  adding length to the pipiing and you think it would add double the ehad but becasue you are lowering the velocity of the water the resistance is much lower so you get more gpm through the larger exchanger

the pros can step in and tell me if i am on the right track or not i  hope i am typing what i am thinking...lol
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »

I think the plate exchangers are more restrictive than the coils though, I know if u run 10 plates you have to be careful and keep the flow up
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »

In heating, restrictions do not mean a whole lot, during heating the fan is run on medium speed unless heat source is a heat pump. Air conditioning and using heat pumps is where too much restrictions can cause problems. Coil flanges will make no difference in the operation of the original equipment, they wont cause enough restriction. HVAC systems should be designed off the cooling load. Its easier to heat a home than it is to cool it.

thats all good with gas and oil but electric air handlers with heat strips if you stick a water/air coil in the supply air it will burn the heat strips up from to much restriction and turbulence........i always put the coil in the return.....

Is this a big concern?  I've always noticed when my backup heat strips come on, the variable speed blower ramps up to high speed.  I never thought about the heat exchanger causing too much restriction that it could potentially burn out the backup strips if they did come on.  Can anyone elaborate more or have specific examples?  I know this is an old thread, but I've been trying to decide where to put my hx if/when we ever get this OWB built and I was pretty well set on placing it in the supply above my updraft air handler.  I have read that in the return ductwork, you risk overheating the blower and electronics in the air handler.  That's not really much of an option anyway due to space restrictions.  I don't think I could get an exchanger into my return ductwork anyway.  I've heard mention of using the main trunk line (after the furnace) but that would mean my heat exchanger would be put in the attic.  I suppose that's possible, but it would still create a restriction after the heat strips.  What sayeth the experts?

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »

I am thoroughly "corn-fused" here...  :bash:

Why is it that you don't install a water-to-air heat exchanger in the plenum of a home's existing forced air furnace?  :-\

What the heck is a "main feed trunk?"  Isn't that a plenum?  :-\
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:10:23 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »

I am thoroughly "corn-fused" here...  :bash:

Why is it that you don't install a water-to-air heat exchanger in the plenum of a home's existing forced air furnace?  :-\

What the heck is a "main feed trunk?"  Isn't that a plenum?  :-\

It's the main duct that comes out of the plenum where the fan itself is located.   I have no desire to mess with that big metal box that has very little space to work with when I can accomplish the same thing by installing in the duct board or main trunk line right above it.

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

ffbare

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »

:post:
Polk wisconsin.   Husky saws, 27ton husky splitter,  gehl skid, tb016 excavator

mtoll

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »

So does it really matter if the heat exchanger is above the furnace fan so the fan sucks air through it or below so it blows through the HE even if there is some small restriction below the fan 
Wife Rodeos, have 5 Barrel racing horses
Ride HD Road Glide
Vet  USN / USMC

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »

So does it really matter if the heat exchanger is above the furnace fan so the fan sucks air through it or below so it blows through the HE even if there is some small restriction below the fan

If you pull air thru the HX then you might have the possibility of overheating the motor on the blower. Others that install for a living would know for sure.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »

If you pull air thru the HX then you might have the possibility of overheating the motor on the blower. Others that install for a living would know for sure.

We have done a lot on return side and never seem it be an issue.

If you go to return side tho u must install a filter on upper side of coil or it will become the filter
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5