Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: noisy Solenoid  (Read 3598 times)

muffin

• View Profile
noisy Solenoid
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »

My brand new CB 6048, the solenoid sometimes makes a fairly loud hum.  If I give it a little smack on the front grate it usually stops.  Any thoughts on a better, permanent fix?  Do I need to clean the damper or something.  As I said I just got the thing and have only had it running for about 2 weeks.

Ridgekid

Re: noisy Solenoid
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »

How long have you been operating? Mine makes a humming noise too. Never was concernd as it was working. Usually after a day or two it went away. I suspect it will do it again when I fire up.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »

As i said it has been running for a couple weeks.  I believe it is operating.  I'm guessing it is just not pulling completely into its resting position which is causing it to chatter.  Either that or something is loose and picking up a harmonic if positioned just right.  So far it has only done it twice, both in the morning when I went out to add wood I noticed it.  I was wondering if soot builds up on the damper and could cause this.  Not sure if i am supposed to clean it frequently.  Seems awefull soon.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »

the same thing happend to me it was a easy fix! took the cover off the front and put 2 drops of oil on the solenoid . whats happening is its not making good contact.
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »

Fireboss got that one right.

After my intial start-up about 19 hours ago. The damper finally reopend and it was buzzing so loud I could hear it in my office with the window cracked open. I went out and took off the cover for the damper (first time) and saw two contact points when the solinoid is energized. I turned the OWB off and damper closed. I looked at those contact points and they were rusty. Added a drop of oil to each contact point (Front and back) and turned the OWB back on. No more buzzing!

Thanks Fireboss!

BTW- It's actually in the CB manual too. Part of start-up maintenance. (oops missed that one!)

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »

no need to thank! that is why we have forurms!its better than any manuals
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »

oil oil oil
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697