Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: That was too close  (Read 2901 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
That was too close
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »

Hi all, earlier today I was stacking some firewood onto pallets for the next year or so to dry.  I was perhaps 5 hours into the work when I felt something spongy in my hand.  I looked down to find I was holding onto a hornets nest, perhaps 5 or 6 inches in diameter.  I didn't think it was a live one until I saw 2 hornets fly out of it.  I threw the nest on the ground and crushed it with my foot only to find it had 6 more hornets in it.  Thankfully they were all dead.  I do not have an explanation of why I wasn't stung other then it was only by the grace of God that I wasn'.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Re: That was too close
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »

That would have made for a bad day firewood and hornets.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:47:02 AM »

You got lucky on that one, Roger!  Glad you didn't get stung.  That could me for a very bad situation in no time at all!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »

You got lucky on that one, Roger!  Glad you didn't get stung.  That could me for a very bad situation in no time at all!

AirForce - I know, I was dang lucky.  The good Lord must of have had his hand in it.  The hornets are on thing but those yellow jackets are a breed of their own.  They are in a constant state of pissed off and will sting you for no other reason than because you're there.  The fact that we were only a few feet from them, destroyed their nest and didn't get stung is miracle.  They are nasty buggers to deal with. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »

I just noticed that I forgot to mention the run in we had with the yellow jackets earlier in the day.  My brother and I were cleaning the area where we process the firewood and while raking it my bro mentioned that there are a lot of bees around the area.  At first glance I thought they were flies but at closer inspection I realized they were yellow jackets.  We had inadvertently destroyed their nest.  There must have been 20 to 30 of them.  Those guys are bad guys to be around.  It wasn't until later in the day that I had the run in with the hornets.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Chas

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »

Bees...... one of the many reasons I like to harvest my wood in the winter. Also included on the list is heat, sweat, tall weeds, snakes, mosquitos, and the fact that I can dress warm but it's hard to dress cool..... and cut wood.
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

GCTerpfan

• OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »

I am allergic to Bees.  Yellow jackets have put me in the hospital twice.  The last time included a fairly scary ambulance ride.  One of the four stings I received that time was on the top of my head and my face was so swollen that my wife didn't recognize me when she got to the hospital.  I have learned to approach areas that look "Beeyee" with caution.

The most scared I have been because of bees though is when my 2 yr old son, who was allergic to milk, soy, wheat, peanuts, (pretty much everything you can think of) when he was young, stepped on a yellow jacket nest while with his grandmother.  He was stung 13 times, knowing my bee allergy and all of his allergies,  they rushed him to the hospital and called me and my wife who were over 1 hour away.  That was the scariest 1 hour drive I have ever made.  Luckily, the only thing my son wasn't allergic to at the time was bees.   

It was a huge relief and a little humorous when we got to the hospital waiting room to find him running around trying to step on a fly and yelling "bad bees" while wearing nothing but his diaper. He has since grown out of all of his other allergies and is a healthy 5 year old.
Garrett County, MD

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »

Yellow jackets are wasps, not bees.  They have excellent eyesight and are easy to piss off.  They will follow you and sting you over and over again.  They are bad news.  Always attack them in the dark, if possible.