Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Furnace Temperatures  (Read 2524 times)

BNice89

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Mahoney
    • View Profile
Furnace Temperatures
« on: March 28, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »

Hi all,

Still learning this whole outdoor wood furnace business. Quick question, I had was what is the low and high temp settings and what temp. diff. do you use on your outdoor wood burner? Do you change it throughout the season depending on outdoor temps? I also should mention this is a conventional wood burner and not a new "gassifer?" if that is what you call them.

Thanks for you help that you can offer.

BNice89

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Furnace Temperatures
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »

I think I forgot to mention I live in Pennsylvania.

Thanks

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »

Most run up to 180 and have a 10 to 20 degree differential. Some brands seem to overheat in warmer weather so need to be set lower. Most you don't have to adjust the temp setting from 180 ever.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »

I'm not familiar with Mahoning, but I run a conventional and typically would run 160-170 (10 degree diff) in the coldest of weather which is about -40F.  Right now we've got +40ish highs and I'm running 145-165 (20 diff) as my heat load is near nothing and it doesn't pay to keep 200 gallons of water any hotter than needed. All depends on the system and setup IMO, but as long as the return temps stay above 135-140ish to avoid condensation yet still fulfill the load I feel the stove will be happy

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »

Good points.
If you run at least one continuous pump and a tight solenoid flap and good door gaskets it can really help keep consistent temps on warm days- avoids the creep up.
Most conventional models I set at 170, 10 diff. 180 with 10 diff in coldest weather.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:50:48 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »

I set my M250 for 187 degrees during the depth of winter, back it down to 183 during shoulder/summer time.
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

BNice89

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »

Thanks everyone. Yes my door gaskets are getting bad. I plan to replace them this summer. Could anyone explain to me why some folks have a narrow diff. And others have a wide diff. Range? What are the benefits and negatives of a narrow vs wide diff.?

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »

If the gaskets are leaking then you probably will want to drop the temp setting. Otherwise it can boil if the temp creeps up too much while idling.  I would try to catch it about 15-30 minutes after it finishes a cycle and see how high the temperature is getting. If it is much over 180 then I would adjust down some.

A larger differential is usually more efficient since it will cycle less and gets more chance to burn off creosote.
A shorter differential is needed if the fire goes out due to idling too long between cycles.
Also, if you lowered the high temp setting, the water temp may get too low if you have a large differential.

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:18:05 AM »

I just finished my fourth season with my stove.  I always keep the top temp set to 190 degrees.  I used to play around with changing the diff between 10 and 15 degrees during the winter based on how cold it was.  Now I just keep it at a 12 degree diff and it's worked well.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan