Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cast Iron pump with a Hardy?  (Read 6385 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Cast Iron pump with a Hardy?
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »

Does anyone know if it is okay to use a cast iron pump with a Hardy?  I know the manual states not to use any cast iron piping but I didn'y know about the pump.  I'm looking at a Grundfos UP-15-100F.  Which brings me to my next question.  Would this pump be suitable for a OWB?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

benj1975

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: home made
  • OWF Model: Sir Devil
    • View Profile
Re: Cast Iron pump with a Hardy?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:04:25 PM »

I think that all pumps have cast housing. I could be wrong. Any one else have a good answer?
Husqvarna 562XP  24" bar                                                                          
Husqvarna  350. 18" bar                                                                  Marshall Michigan 16 years of burning wood.                                       Homemade Boiler 2012

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »

Does anyone know if it is okay to use a cast iron pump with a Hardy?  I know the manual states not to use any cast iron piping but I didn'y know about the pump.  I'm looking at a Grundfos UP-15-100F.  Which brings me to my next question.  Would this pump be suitable for a OWB?
the chart i find on this pump shows it's middle pump curve point to be at about 16 or 17 feet of head it will pump about 5 gpm. it may do the job if you have a low enough "head"
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »

Cast iron is fine for heating only applications
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »

Do you use and water treatment chemicals? If not you might want to go with a bronze pump but they cost a lot more. I would just use treatment and a cast iron pump.

What is the reason for using that pump? I would use two 15-58 pumps in series before using one 15-100.

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »

I have the exact same pump installed on my system. plenty of water. im pushing through a plate hx first and then to the house hx. that pump gives plenty of room for "engineering anomalies" for reasonable installations
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »

I don't use any treatment right now but I have been looking into and should probably start.  I figured that when I drain the boiler to add the new pump I would put new water in with treatment.

So I could use two of the 15-58's on the same loop?  As in, one pump on my owb and one inside the building?  There was no Perticular reason for the 15-100.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »

The hardy stoves use a lot of water, that's why they have an automatic filling system because they lose a lot of water.  I've seen folks have that part unhooked or see it fail and add a couple gallons a day.  That being said, pour all the chems you want in it, it will be gone n a month. 

As far as the pump, maybe there is a reason behind the cast iron and the 304 debate, not sure, there are no specific regulations with empyre on there 304 stainless stoves however, that being said the empyre 304 is well over twice as thick as the hardy.  Not sure why there dead set on the bronze pump, but I would like to learn more about it
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »

I don't really lose much water out of my Hardy.  I don't have the auto fill hooked up and I probably only added 6-10 gallons last heating season. 

I might just go with the cast iron.  I don't see what the big deal would be if the stove is made of stainless??
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »

That's surprising you only used less than 10 gallons!   :thumbup:

Stainless can fail to due to different types of corrosion, I'm not sure why they're pushing you to the bronze pump.  I think it would be worth a call to hardy to see why.  I think I might call them myself just so I know why lol
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »

I called hardy to get a technical answer.  He said similar to what I was thinking, that they dont use boiler treatment because they have autofill and use stainless.  So, if you have untreated water and a cast iron pump it will immediately start rusting.  He said folks do use cast iron with hardy at times but they just don't last as long as the stainless or bronze pumps
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »

Yeah, maybe I just get lucky? lol

Well, I looked online at Hardy's parts list and they have part numbers for cast iron pumps.  I would think that if they have them on their catalog with a part number then it is probably ok. 

I think I'm going to just go with two of the 15-58's.  If I ran them in a series, could I just put one on the boiler and one inside?  Or is there a better way to set that up?  Thanks!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »

What pump are you currently using?

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »

What pump are you currently using?

Right now, I have a Taco 009 that is bronze.  That pump feeds the house.  The loop that I am talking about adding would be for my garage which I have not ran yet. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »

What is the length and size of the pipe? You may be fine with just one 15-58.
Pages: [1] 2