Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just about had it with this damn stove!!!!!  (Read 8110 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
Just about had it with this damn stove!!!!!
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:28:45 AM »

Have spent a lot of extra money on fixing what should of been done in the first place.  Finally all winter its been working like its suppose to until this morning.  Get home and the temp gauge is not even reading.  Figured I had just forgot to turn on the fan.  Go out to the stove and water is everywhere, so I think that it just steamed out.  Start to put some water in it and I can hear it splashing and not on the inside.  Its got a pencil sized hole right in the middle of the bottom.  Have used the anticorrosion solution and still this.  I would love to have my money back.

fletcher0780

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Just about had it with this damn stove!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:51:48 AM »

That's terrible! Take some pictures if you can. The leakis below the ash pan? Is it rusted out? Shaver needs to step up and make crap right or there's going to be a LARGE class action lawsuit.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »

Got ahold of Shaver and they said they havn't seen this before. Of course!!  Already got in contact with a local welder and he's going to come tomorrow and take a look and see what happened.  Then he's suppose to call Shaver.  The way the water was coming out it looks like its a crack and not a pinhole.  Shouldn't I demand a whole new bottom to be welded on over the bottom instead of just fixing the hole?  Also wandering how my pumps are.  They were running dry for hours.  And yes the leak is below the ashpan.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »

That's the least of what I'd ask for.  I don't know offhand if you have any warranty left or not, but especially if you do you should push the issue of shoddy materials making all the water run out of your furnace and jeopradizing your hardware.  I'd try for a whole unit.  If your warranty is up, I'd still try.  It never hurts to make a couple phone calls.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:37:23 PM »

How much fire was left in the stove when you found it dry?  I'd also be concered with the excessive heat in a dry stove, changing the temper of the metal.  Might cause problems down the road.  You can probably count on replacing the pumps as well.   I'd be hotter than the stove.
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:53:37 AM »

I think its rusting through.  I cant tell if those are more pinholes or what.  I couldn't see them until I took the picture and got it on the computer.  I went ahead and welded it shut for now so I could use it until it warms up above freezing.  Not sure what to do.  I can imagine I will have more holes in the future.  Was even using the anti-corrosion solution.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:58:25 AM by gandgracing »

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:42:24 AM »

How old is the stove?  Do you know the thickness of the metal it is made of??  Mild steel or boiler plate?  What type of insulation?  Fiberglass or spray foam? 
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »

I used it half of last winter and all of this winter.  Dont know the thickness and it doesn't have any insulation on the bottom.  Its mild steel.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »

How much fire was left in the stove when you found it dry?  I'd also be concered with the excessive heat in a dry stove, changing the temper of the metal.  Might cause problems down the road.  You can probably count on replacing the pumps as well.   I'd be hotter than the stove.

The fire was really hot.

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »

I think the water jacket on the shaver is only 1/8". I was bummed out when I got my stove and realized this. They brag on their website about the "over 3/8 thick firebox"
 The tube part of the firebox is the only part 3/8" thick, the plates welded on the end are 1/4" and the water jacket only 1/8".
 Now I am wooried about my stove, thats what I get for buying something without actually inspecting it in person, but then again, untill you own something for a while it's hard to know what to even look for.
 Grandgracing, do you think your spray foam insulating trapped moisture under the stove? contributing to the rusting?
 I was going to take mine apart this spring and insulate the bottom,,, maybe I should leave it alone ???
Northern MN

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 06:23:59 PM »

I didn't spray the bottom.  The bottom really looked OK from the outside.  Its got to be coming from the inside.  So now I got a welded hole in the bottom,  running the cold water returns up through the top plate, pumps making a little noise since running dry and the top of the water tank isn't welded across the front(had to caulked it).  And its only a year and a half old. 

I finally talked to Shaver at the end of last week after numerous calls.  They wanted some pictures that I have sent and now I cant get ahold of them again.  He said he dont see why I wouldn't be able to get a new stove.  Well thats the last I heard from them.  Tomorrow if nobody talks to me I'm going to tell them that my attorney will be giving them a call.  Hopefully that will get a fire under there ass.

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »

I think I am going to try and sell mine this spring, get a CB or woodmaster.
Then I worry about some other poor fella having trouble, I wonder if CB or woodmaster dealer would take it in on trade? doubt it :bash:
 I really hope it works out for you, new stove, or better yet a refund.
Northern MN

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »

Well finally got the deal settled.  I did give in and gave them $200 but I got a new stove and even got the next size bigger(250). They even came and exchanged the stoves.  I also lost out on $350 for the spray foam.  This time I'm going to put insulation board on the bottom and add insulation batting around the sides and top.  I still think the foam was better but expensive.  This year I think I'm going to build a wind block so my stove isn't taking on the wind constantly.

yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »

Well finally got the deal settled.  I did give in and gave them $200 but I got a new stove and even got the next size bigger(250). They even came and exchanged the stoves.  I also lost out on $350 for the spray foam.  This time I'm going to put insulation board on the bottom and add insulation batting around the sides and top.  I still think the foam was better but expensive.  This year I think I'm going to build a wind block so my stove isn't taking on the wind constantly.
Really glad it worked out for ya, I was thinking they were going to give you grief on the spray foam
  (blame it on you)
Northern MN

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »

I didn't give them a chance.  They sent a driver that was his first time and didn't know anything about them.
Pages: [1] 2