Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wood Splitter Recommendation?  (Read 8056 times)

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: The Classic CL-5648
    • View Profile
    • Marleywood Raised Cedar Garden Beds
Wood Splitter Recommendation?
« on: August 26, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »

I know this topic has been done before (yes, I did a search).  But each new season brings on new information, so, here we go!

I'm in the market for a splitter.  I'm getting a delivery from a local logger of recently felled timber (mixed hardwoods) in 16' sections.  I'm using it for an OWF, a Central Boiler, "The Classic" CL-5648.

I'm hoping to stay under $1,500, and ideally I'd like to pick it up from Lowe's or HD, but I'm open to what makes the most sense.

Looking forward to the discussion!

Marleywood

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Splitter Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »

I got my wood splitter from Menards for 700 bucks.  It is a brute 30 ton vertical/horizontal splitter.  At the time they had a good sale on the splitter 25% off plus another 11% instore credit.  Couldn't pass it up.

Personally I love the splitter from harbor freight that has the 2 way double sided wedge.  Seems to work super, you can find them on YouTube if you want to watch some videos.  There is a company up in Canada that my aunts brother in law owns called split fire, same concept as the harbor freight but much better built and more expensive.  Another that I really like is the rapid fire from DR.  It is a conetic energy splitter and is extremely fast (and dangerous) but that may be getting out of your price range.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:34:58 PM by aarmga »
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

FrozenMongrel

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »

I've got this one and it's a beast of a splitter. I have yet to stall the bypass on it and the quick removable 4 way wedge is awesome for speeding up the splitting times. I've got about 6 cords of wood through mine and it just plain works. Way more heavy duty than anything I could find locally and a good price for brand new with a warranty.
https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/YardMax-YU3566-Log-Splitter/p68198.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_o7NBRDgARIsAKvAgt0AVHvlxxAiUaKKakxFwHWJg_UXo8_Dx9wSU7edfIIDhvAXppDExB4aAi9hEALw_wcB

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:15 AM »

I've got this one and it's a beast of a splitter. I have yet to stall the bypass on it and the quick removable 4 way wedge is awesome for speeding up the splitting times. I've got about 6 cords of wood through mine and it just plain works. Way more heavy duty than anything I could find locally and a good price for brand new with a warranty.
https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/YardMax-YU3566-Log-Splitter/p68198.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_o7NBRDgARIsAKvAgt0AVHvlxxAiUaKKakxFwHWJg_UXo8_Dx9wSU7edfIIDhvAXppDExB4aAi9hEALw_wcB

Thanks Mongrel, that looks like a pretty awesome machine, I'm seriously considering it!

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »

That thing is pretty sweet frozen!  Pretty damn good price too, I might have to build me a wedge like that for mine! 

One question, is the opening actually 26" with the wedge all the way up or is it 26" minus the guard.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »

Well, I ordered that YardMax unit, should be here next week some time.  I'll give a full report.

FrozenMongrel

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »

Well, I ordered that YardMax unit, should be here next week some time.  I'll give a full report.

You'll really like it  :thumbup: The only thing to check that I didn't when I received mine is the hydraulic fittings and the bolts on the valve handle. I needed to snug up a couple of them after a few hours of running it. Haven't had to touch them since, so I'm guessing they weren't quite tight when I got it.

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:03:56 AM »

You'll really like it  :thumbup: The only thing to check that I didn't when I received mine is the hydraulic fittings and the bolts on the valve handle. I needed to snug up a couple of them after a few hours of running it. Haven't had to touch them since, so I'm guessing they weren't quite tight when I got it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them when I get it.

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »

I've got the splitter and assembled it, but have only "test drove" is on a few pieces of seasoned wood I had lying around.  This thing is a BEAST.  There is an assembly video on-line that covers the 25 & 28 ton models.  Assembly is more-or-less the same for the 35 ton as well, but Jiminy Cricket is the beam assembly heavy!  I tried to get it out of the shipping crate and standing upright with just my wife's help (she's a trooper), but it almost went badly.  It's really too heavy for two people to do IMO.  I wound up using my tractor to hoist it up.  You also need to pay attention to how the beam is hoisted in relation to the hydraulic hoses, or you'll cause yourself some issue getting it properly oriented.  I'm going to start chain sawing up my big wood in the next few days and will give a more detailed report.

I have looked at the machines they sell at the big box stores, and can safely say that for the money, this thing is a much better value.  I did notice Tractor Supply had some units out front the other day, but I'd already ordered the YardMax, and have no regrets (thus far, knock on weed, pun intended)

5050racing

• OWF Brand: CB-1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »

One word China!! Yard max this country will never be great if you find that word on it,you get what you pay for ,Me iron n oak (Brave) made in the great USA!!! I will deal with the Honda motor everyone knows what that means it will always run.

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »

So, my splitter is outside (covered) here in central New Hampshire this winter.  I understand the hydraulic fluid can get rather viscous in the cold, and I don't want to damage the machine by using it when it's too cold old.  Any insights on this from the pros?

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »

I don't think you will have any issues with it. Hydraulic fluid isn't like molasses,lol. If you're prepared to work outside I'm sure the splitter will be just fine. I let mine warm up a few minutes, then I'll cycle the hydraulics a couple of times and even the first couple of blocks I will pick a couple of easy ones to get the fluid warmed up. Then its wide open for as long as either of us has gas to go.

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »

I don't think you will have any issues with it. Hydraulic fluid isn't like molasses,lol. If you're prepared to work outside I'm sure the splitter will be just fine. I let mine warm up a few minutes, then I'll cycle the hydraulics a couple of times and even the first couple of blocks I will pick a couple of easy ones to get the fluid warmed up. Then its wide open for as long as either of us has gas to go.

This is exactly what i'd do. Let it run partial throttle for a few minutes,  cycle the ram a few times, then go easy on it for a bit til everything gets up to temp.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 05:51:28 AM »

Another option would be to go to your local auto supply or farm equipment supplier and get a magnetic block heater.
FIL uses one with a small generator when he parks his tractor in the bush.

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:35 AM »

I built a splitter and used 32 wt hydraulic oil.  The splitter lives outside 24/7.  This year, it worked OK even at -20 C.  (Fine for the equipment, not so fine for the operator LOL)

Muskoka, Ont
Pages: [1] 2