Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: mahoning 300 temp problems  (Read 11257 times)

lmstrausser

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
mahoning 300 temp problems
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:54 AM »

I run my mahoning stove at 170...run my boiler temp at on 160 off 180. It seems to me my boiler runs off the oil all the time instead of outside stove.It also seems that there is a 20 degree difference in what outside stove temp reads and my boiler degree reads.I buried insulated pex pipe 3 ft down and stove is 30 ft from house.I have just installed new chimney pipe with rain cap on stove.Last year it was burning a cord of wood a week(150.00 a cord) and the house was still cold.I am starting to think it is one of the worst investments I have made.The plumber came in and changed setting it did not work,the boiler cleaner guy changed setting and it did not work so i am back to the stove installers settings.I called mahoning last year for help they gave me a techs number we set a date and time and he never showed up.I have been struggling with this stove for 3 years now.But at the price it costs for the wood its chewing and the house still being cold I am ready to just pay soley for the oil if i cant figure it out.I have a 3 zones on the boiler #1 kitchen, bath,livingroom on first floor.#2 bath and 4 bedrooms on second floor.#3 radiant floor heat in the den. All thermostates are set at 70 degrees in these zones.I am the only one I know not happy with this outdoor furnace everything I read people rave about them.Can some please advise me.I will get pics and try to post of boiler and the wiring of honeywell.i did not touch any wiring and it works for just oil fired thru the boiler.I am not sure if something is wrong or just something not set right.   

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: mahoning 300 temp problems
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »

How many sq ft are you trying to heat and where are you located?

Is the 160/180 temperature what the oil boiler is running at?
I would get a strap on aquastat and put it on the pipe coming from the OWB. Run the control wire for the oil boiler through it and set it at something like 150 degrees or whatever works best. (so it disables the oil boiler when the OWB is over the 150 set point)

Do you have a plate heat exchanger separating the indoor and outdoor boilers? If so, you will probably see a 20 degree lower temperature on the house side.

I have no idea where your wood is going but if it isn't heating the house it is probably all going up the chimney.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »

RSI has hit the nail on the head. If you are running a heat exchanger between the two systems you will see about a 20 degree difference. When installing to an existing boiler system I use a aquastat just as he describes. And like he said, if you are burning the wood it is going somewhere, either in your home or up the chimney.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

lmstrausser

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:09 PM »

RSI its about 2500 sq foot or less i am located in new ringgold pa.160/180 is the setting reading on the boiler thermostate controller.Not sure what the second controller is for either in my pics.Not sure what you mean about a plate heat exchanger or if i have one.I put a new real good chimney on yesterday because my thoughts were the same as i was loosing heat out the old chimney pipe.do you mean for me to put the strap on aquastat on the pex pipe?which wire is control wire for oil burner? today it was reading 10 degrees different between osb and inside.the colder it gets it will read 20 degree difference.Is this normal to burn a cord a week in wood? I have posted alot of pics in my mahoning 300 album for you to see a little better the system I have.I even thought maybe my water baseboard r not hooked to the thermostate right,because i could not figure out what was going on.I have already set the osb at 190 and turned one of my thermostates in the cold room up to 80 and it never went past 72 and was still cold. If i keep it at 150 or 160 the osb during nov,dec,jan my water to take showers will not get hot enough.And oil burner constantly kicks on.I hope someone lives near me and thanks for helping me try to figure it out.

lmstrausser

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:53:26 PM »

I forgot pics of the osb will post tomorrow.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »

Where is the return pex line connected to the indoor boiler? What size pump is in that loop?

lmstrausser

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »

added 3 new pics of outdoor burner and the taco pump ,my return line on boiler is midway on the back of unit.so I would say 2 foot down from the inlet pex pipe in pictures.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »

On your oil burner does it have an aquastat that connects to the t connections on the grey box with the red button shown in your picture? You would want the new aquastat to be in series with one of those wires.

This way you will never burn any oil as long as the OWB is supplying enough heat to keep the water above the set point.

lmstrausser

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »

added 2 more pics for your questions tomorrow i will open the box and trace where wires go.but it is 2 one of the 2 boxes that r on the front of burner.I seen a black and yellow wire for sure but i will trace all of them and it looks as though they r jumpers in the pic.