Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Blower wiring  (Read 10858 times)

Haigskid

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Blower wiring
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »

Hello all. I`m new to the board and am currently in the process of hooking up my woodmaster 434 boiler. So far I have the pex buried and hooked up to my existing nat gas forced air furnace with a 16 x 18  heat exchanger coil, 3 way valve with an auxillary switch rated at 15 amps 120 Volts that I assume is to be used to control the blower fan. My question is how do I connect it so that my gas furnace will come on in the event the fire goes out in the 434 without frying everything. any help will be appreciated.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Blower wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:12 PM »

Welcome to the site Haigskid, someone with more electrical knowledge will happen by soon to answeer your question.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Firechaser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »

It seems like most people just put a second thermostat in. One to control just the fan that uses the boiler and then one set lower that controls the furnace. You have to run a wire from the existing thermostat hot (usually labeled r and colored red) to the new thermostat hot. Then a wire from the new thermostat heat to existing fan.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

Haigskid

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »

Ok, I had a look at the furnace and it looks pretty complex in there where the fan unit is. There is a circuit board with about 50 wires plugged into it  and i would have no idea at all where to connect to it. I installed the furnace back in 2002 and all I had to do was connect the two wires from my existing thermostat to the screw terminals on the circuit board. There are other terminals, most likely for air conditioning, which may be the solution to my problem, as if I understand it correctly, you have a similar installation with a coil (Heat/Cooling exchanger) For central A.C. So something has to trigger the blower fan to run for the A.C. So can i just connect the 24 volts going to my 3 way zone valve to the terminals on the circuit board that would normally be used for cooling? If that is the case, Which terminals would be used and how would it be wired? I have no problem with using 2 T stats, I just am stumped as to how to wire it into the furnace. I did figure out how to speed up the blower for the heating coil, (just have to switch two wires)  I see where one is labeled heat and one is for cooling. This is the only thing I am having a problem figuring out. the rest has been pretty straight forward.  Can I steal power from the existing thermostat to power my second T-Stat?  Lots of questions.

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:32 PM »

Maybe you can't hook it up the same, but my dealer used a aquastat.

Basically, its a temp monitor between the thermostat and forced air unit. Mine is connected to the manifold of the HTX. If the water from the OWB is <150F, my heat pump comes on. If it's >150F only the furnace fan comes on.

I didn't need a 2nd thermostat with this arrangement.

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »

Mine's hooked up like Ridgekid.

I have an aquastat connected to the supply and if the temp drops below +or-140 it kicks the outdoor unit on...

I believe the yellow wire is the one that's made by the A-stat to send a signal to the outdoor unit...Simple but effective.

Original thermosatat controls everything.

Firechaser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »

I do not have a heatpump. So I just installed a second thermostat. I did not connect it directly to the furnace at all. In researching this I found that the wire colors or labeling is not always consistent with different installs. So yours may be different. I connected a wire from the old thermostat power wire to the new thermostat power. Then a wire from the heat circuit on the new thermostat to the fan on the old thermostat. Heat circuit was labeled w and fan was g. The thermostat is just a complex switch. So when the new thermostat calls for heat it sends power to the heat circuit (w). This sends power to the old thermostat fan only (g). Kicking the fan on and drawing heat from the heat exchanger. My heat is at 70. If my heat falls to 65 the old thermostat kicks in and fires the propane furnace.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:46:25 PM »

Did you leave the wire on the G terminal on the old thermostat? If you did and you have AC it sometimes causes the compressor to run. Taking the wire off the G terminal and splicing to the wire going to the W on the new thermostat is the best way to do it.

Firechaser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »

I had read that but it doesn't appear to be a problem with mine
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »

Another reason to take it off is if someone switches on the fan switch your house will get very warm.

Haigskid

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I dont have central air installed on my furnace and dont plan to, at least not right away. I did a test rig using just thermostat wire and got it to work by connecting a red (hot wire) to the red on the furnace and ran it out to the 3 way valve, which I call a zone valve that is a 24 volt valve. then i continued that out to the thermostat, which down in my crawl space consisted of a short piece of T-stat wire that I could touch together and complete same as a thermostat would.  The white wire I ran to the G teminal , which would be the terminal for the AC blower. I ran a single wire from the other wire on the zone valve to the C wire on the board which I believe is a common ground and when i touched the two ( Red and White from my mock Tstat) together, the Zone valve actuated and the blower turned on and ran. This solves my immediate problem. What im worried about is if the fire goes out on the wood boiler and my furnace fires up what is going to happen when the fan limit trips? Smoke?  Somebody must have gone through this by now. I just want to foolproof it.