Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thermowind Owners??  (Read 11727 times)

TRMPyro

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: Thermowind 2000
    • View Profile
Thermowind Owners??
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:02 AM »

Haven't found any information or threads from Thermowind owners, anyone out there have one?  I purchased one this year for my shop, which is only used in the evenings and weekends, the forced air option seemed like a better fit.  I am a newb to wood burning and am seeing a lot of tar pitch and wondering if this is normal due to long idle time.  I have it dripping from my rain cap and stringing from the door.  The wood I am using has been "seasoned" for over 2 years, it was ripped out when I put the barn in, and consists of Black Walnut, Locust, Catalpa, Elm, and Hedge mostly.  We have had another mild winter, but have a couple of cold days coming up, hopefully I can get a fire roaring then.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Thermowind Owners??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »

There are several factors that lead to that, your wood seems fine but the shaver design in there owb seems to be kinda messy.  Read around here, most folks in this section come as a last ditch effort to get some help on there shaver
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Burnt by Shaver

• OWF Model: ThermoWind 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:34 PM »

I have a Thermowind 1000 also, I have had a long history with Shaver. My third unit has caught on fire and sits on my pad as a daily bad decision reminder. The First one I recieved had issues with the angle of the forced air motor, which left the damper open all the time. This resulted in the fire so hot that it melted and caught fire to the wiring in the rear of the unit. They replaced that unit with their "new and improved model." then they switched that one because of a recall to the one that I have now. The latest one has again caught fire and sits as a daily reminder of a bad decision. I have sent emails and phone messeges for six months and have not and probably will not hear from their "30 year warranty" people again.

Calaloo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:44:37 AM »

My Thermowind 2000 story. Ordered Aug. 2012. Delivered Dec.2012. Spotted on pad Jan. 2013. Finished installation summer 2013. Problems encountered were the solenoid activated damper on the forced draft fan hit the air handler partition and stuck. a judicious blow with a hammer solved that problem. The fan solenoid was bad and rather than deal with a warranty claim I bought one locally.

First fire yesterday and all seems to be fine. My seasoned wood is too small but I had plenty left this morning. 70 degrees inside 3000 square foot house with cathedral ceilings and 26 degrees outside. So far so good.

Calaloo

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:08:08 PM »

TRMPyro,

I have only sold two forced air shaver units in my almost 4 years of sales. These two folks have not had any problems with their furnaces.

It is normal for sap to build up on the warmer days that we've been having in both forced air and the water furnaces. I sure there is a lot of smoldering. When it gets cold the furnaces will function better.

I don't think I've sold any more cause as with any Outdoor forced air furnace they are harder to regulate the heat then with a Outdoor water furnace. They tend to get your home very warm at times, especially on the warmer periods.

They work good for a shop or a cabin. Something you can let the fire go out and not worry about freezing!

Hope this helps

Greg Steinacher

Calaloo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »

Two week report. The first week the weather was very cold. Mid to low 20's at night. Mid to upper 30's during the day. The furnace functioned flawlessly. Then the temperature warmed. We even had a couple of days near 70. Needless to say I let the fire go out but started another yesterday in advance of cold spell. That is just the way the weather is here, you just live with it. I've lived in this house and burned wood in a large stove in the basement for 35 years. I have a Jotul on the main floor for when it gets really cold. This set-up has worked well for us in the past. We also have two electric heat pumps. one for the main floor and another for the top floor. The one for the top floor is almost never used for heat.

So far I am extremely pleased with the Thermowind.

Calaloo

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »

I have a friend who has the Thermowind 4000 in their shop at work.  They went with the Thermowind because no one is around on the weekends and the fire goes out and they didn't want to deal w/water.  They have been very happy with it.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

TRMPyro

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »

Been a little over a year since installation, first full season using the furnace, all in all I am fairly satisfied.  The sap issue has basically gone away, might have had some wetter wood than I imagined.  My main problem with the furnace has been embers coming out of the chimney.  I added 9 foot of double wall with a storm cap and installed mesh in the storm cap as well, which worked for a while, then I started seeing a large amount of embers leaving the chimney so I turned off my firebox fan and have been running the furnace "old school" with the ash pan cracked to allow draft.  It has worked pretty well, but I would like to use my thermostat again without worrying about starting my field on fire.  Is there anything out there that would run the fan for a short period of time when heat is called for, then shut off, leaving the damper open the entire time it is calling for heat?  I may try adjusting my chain on the damper also, maybe it is too far open.  Anyway, pretty satisfied overall, but I see repairs to electrical parts in the near future.

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »

TRMpyro,

To cut the air flow some and slow down the sparks you might try to duct tape part or half of the air intake on the fan under the auto flap. I did this with my own and it worked well!

Hope this helps

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726

brink1963

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:43 AM »

TRMPyro,
I installed a circuit board in my fan/damper. The circuit allows me to run the fan on an adjustable amount of time then off for an adjustable amount of time and repeats while the damper stays open until the thermostat stops calling for heat from the fire box. It should work for your installation. I installed it two years ago with no problems in operation.

church

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

Hi brink1963,
Just wondering if you would provide some info on the circuit board you installed, have been looking into this same blower control.
Church

brink1963

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:36:11 AM »

The control board I have is a VK111 it is from QKITS LTD  www.QKits.com

TRMPyro

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 06:07:42 PM »

Thanks for the information on the control board, I will give it a shot, exactly what I am looking for.  I am having trouble with the mechanical thermostat on the firebox void, heated gas chamber, it has failed to turn the blower on a couple times, and other times the switch makes its way to manual and the blower stays on blowing cold air into my shop.  The latter is not a bad situation necessarily, but if the blower does not come on I am fearful I will have a major problem.  Noticed a bad smell in my shop when this occurred.  Has anyone upgraded this part of the furnace, or can give me some advise how to make it more reliable?  The switch is held in place by a plastic button that does not allow it to stay in one place or the other, that is part of the problem.  Any thoughts?