Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to this  (Read 3728 times)

hill dweller

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165 coal
    • View Profile
New to this
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »

Got a 165 coal first week of november furnace has working very well did a couple mods i read on this site only big problem is door gasket, i want to replace with rope gasket and want to know what size gasket i should get.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: New to this
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »

My buddy has the same one, we replaced his with 3/4 rope gasket but since there is really no channel for the gasket to sit in it doesn't work well. I would suggest getting some flat gasket and using that instead. Something like this https://woodheatstoves.com/glass-gasket-6-x-12-flat-tape-gasket-wadhesive-p-12257.html I would try a stove shop and see if they have any flat type gasket.

hill dweller

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »

Thank you i have seen that others changed to a rope gasket and didn't know what size to get. I tried some mine run coal this year didn't work out so well going to try some nut coal and see how that works out.

doow14

• OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:45:50 AM »

Hey Dweeller,does shaver make a 165 specific for burning coal?did it come with a shaker grate? how is it different from a regular 165.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 06:14:03 AM »

I used a 1 in x 1/4 in flat rope gasket with good results

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »

No difference that I know of. My buddy has the 165 and ordered the "shaker grate" with it but it's really a joke. They just put another grate ontop of the regular grate and give you a long rod to pull the top grate with so that it allows the clinkers to fall down.

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »

my owners manual says you can burn wood or coal but burning coal voids the warranty.thats why I wondered if shaver made a stove specific for coal.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

brian45786

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heat Master
  • OWF Model: HM10Ke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »

I have a shaver 290 and we have made several mods to the stove, reguarding the door gasket this is what we did, gound away the entire outside piece of 1/4 stock that was only tacked every 4 inches and replaced it with 1 inch strap and did a solid weld all the way around, we used 3/4 in rope gasket and installed it with permatex gold high heat adhesive, in order for the door to close and function correctly I had to redrill the bolt hole to square the door up to the stove(this was done prior to gasket mod) . it was also a little tight on the latch for a few days, but it seals super good, 100% better than using silicone that is squashed to nothing on some sides and very thick on the other.  :)
 you can view the pictures here : too bad: i took the link down, this site loaded my server full of viruses  >:(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:21:58 PM by brian45786 »

hill dweller

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »

Hondaracer is right the shaker grate is the only difference its just a regular wood burner with a shaker grate and they call it a coal/wood furnace so it can be sold in pa and other states.  my manual said nothing about coal voiding the warranty. 

hill dweller

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »

Thats the problem i'm having silicone squashes to nothing and leaks like a siv. thank you for the advice