Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wood usage for the season?  (Read 9684 times)

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: Wood usage for the season?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »

Braveblaster- I will have a 50 gallon water heater in the house as a buffer/storage tank with gas backup, also providing DHW, the tank has 2 sets of ports so I will hang a 40 plate exchanger and a pump between the spare 2 ports on constant circ with a Ranco controller regulating tank temp. When the tank falls below 130, the Ranco activates a pump to circulate the underground across both plates and reheat the tank to 160 at which point the underground stops flowing. On a call for heat, another pump will draw from the 40 plate in the house (same one used to heat the tank) and send hot water to the air handler. I've got all the parts here, just haven't had time to execute the plan yet.

Heat550- Because Insulseal would cost $6000 and take 100+ hours to complete, versus $600 and 8 hours, And my current ground loss is only 2.5 degrees in 350 feet with the Logstor. If I had it to do over again the first time, I'd spray it in the trench. But seeing as 50 feet of my Logstor is under a concrete slab and the boiler is on the far end of that slab, that's not an option now.

That's a good idea.  Always interesting/informative to see how guys get the most out of their system. A 2 cord a year savings is worth it if it means a Saturday or two just got freed up to do something other than cutting/splitting/handling wood.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 05:52:34 PM »

Braveblaster- I will have a 50 gallon water heater in the house as a buffer/storage tank with gas backup, also providing DHW, the tank has 2 sets of ports so I will hang a 40 plate exchanger and a pump between the spare 2 ports on constant circ with a Ranco controller regulating tank temp. When the tank falls below 130, the Ranco activates a pump to circulate the underground across both plates and reheat the tank to 160 at which point the underground stops flowing. On a call for heat, another pump will draw from the 40 plate in the house (same one used to heat the tank) and send hot water to the air handler. I've got all the parts here, just haven't had time to execute the plan yet.

Heat550- Because Insulseal would cost $6000 and take 100+ hours to complete, versus $600 and 8 hours, And my current ground loss is only 2.5 degrees in 350 feet with the Logstor. If I had it to do over again the first time, I'd spray it in the trench. But seeing as 50 feet of my Logstor is under a concrete slab and the boiler is on the far end of that slab, that's not an option now.

Indeed that is a good idea. I'm always learning from you guys, in case I'm blessed with my dream home later in life, will keep this foam trench in mind. Although, (I'm sure you are well aware of the exact heat draw on your unit) 14 gallons of 60 degree water for the first two minutes followed by 50 gallons of 130 degree water mixed with another 14 gallons of 60 degree water would suck the life out of my boiler on the bottom of the cycle. I remember you speaking of this a while back seems like, and where that delay-on timer came into play. It'll work out fine.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 05:08:33 PM »

Indeed that is a good idea. I'm always learning from you guys, in case I'm blessed with my dream home later in life, will keep this foam trench in mind. Although, (I'm sure you are well aware of the exact heat draw on your unit) 14 gallons of 60 degree water for the first two minutes followed by 50 gallons of 130 degree water mixed with another 14 gallons of 60 degree water would suck the life out of my boiler on the bottom of the cycle. I remember you speaking of this a while back seems like, and where that delay-on timer came into play. It'll work out fine.

Where are we getting these quantities and temps of water from? Bringing the initial 14 gallons that are underground up from 60 degrees to 160 (if that's what you were referring to, and if that's where the temp happens to be) is only 11,600 BTU over the 4 minute period, not much different than your average DHW load. I am still thinking of using a 3 way bypass valve on a 24V Ranco to divert the glycol back to the boiler until it's up to temp to avoid pulling heat out of the tank in order to preheat the glycol. Still pondering that, may require some R&D. I've been super busy this fall installing radiant systems on the side and doing 50+ at my real job, building a new shed at home and bought another rental house that needs a rehab too so this home stuff is kinda on the back burner lol. "some day" I'll get to it. House will be done next week and shed is to a "almost there" point, and my hospital job will be done tomorrow so I should have some spare time again soon! I'll keep you guys informed

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 04:18:46 AM »

Here did more math nailed down my average per day 473 lbs a day keeping 6600 sqft at 63f  . I did it like 4 different ways. Always came up 473 lbs .. I stuffed in 46,353 lbs so far .. it's like 165,000,000 BTUs to the buildings . I started with 400,000,000 BTUs of wood . Thinking  houses take 200,000,000 BTUs . I'm going to run out early ... Yep .
Polar vortex pretty much screwed up my projections .
Pages: 1 2 [3]