Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Recommended Fill Line  (Read 6740 times)

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Recommended Fill Line
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »

What is the recommended fill line in the Hawkin 2100?

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Fill Line
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »

Now that we are getting into the colder weather, how full are you guys filling your furnaces with wood? I have tried the compete fill and a half fill, not confident as to which approach works best? Also does anyone burn the Ash that is dying everywhere and what has been your satisfaction with it?

Dave

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »

Sounds like you  have plenty of questions. My experience is that you can overfill the unit and burn more then you need. Some may disagree however i have found it to be true. I load what i can burn in a 12 hr burn time, which equalls to about a nice size wheel barrel full. Of course its not small branches, but some nice size quarter splits with some decent meat on it. And Yes i burn Ash, Thats all i burn at the moment, its easy to come by. I have the same model you have and just love it! Anymore issue feel free to send me a message, just here in my office there are 3 very happy Hawken owners.

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »

you can tell by the amount of buildup of unburned small wood chunks in your stove.  when you can burn a day without adding firewood by just stiring the coals for fuel you might be putting in a little much. been their done that. your fan will run longer but you will get plenty of heat. i still am only putting in 3 logs every 12 hrs and its been cold here in cincinnati.
Newrichmond, Ohio

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »

So you suggest using less than a full load for better efficiency?

Dave

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »

for sure. when i came home tonight i took a look inside andthe stove really didnt need wood, its not going to last all night but what i did is rake it out and pull it forward so it will burn to more of a powder. am going out in a while to add 2 or 3 logs, and their not big, i cant lift them, more like 6 to 8 inch about 2 feet long. i have found that you just dont need as much wood to keep warm as you think. i really think you dont waste as much heat up the flue when its shut down if its not packed with partially burned smoldering wood. p.s. the wife likes the house at 75  and thats ok with me.
Newrichmond, Ohio

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »

I have learned that the recommended fill line for both size units is the top hinge of the door.

Dave

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »

i dont question what someone wants to do but for me that would be way to much wood for a 12 hr burn and would create a pile of unburned nuggets that would take me forever to get to burn raking and stiring . even now at 18 degrees tonight i only put 5  - 6 to 8"logs two feet long and that will be plenty for me and i will still have to rake it out in the morning.
Newrichmond, Ohio

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 04:21:14 AM »

I agree, that seems alot more then what you should use. Unless you have a monster house. I heat hot water along with 2000 sq tri-level with 5 girls! that just love to shower and do laundry! I only load 10 quarter splits 18 inches long for a 12-14 hour burns, I will have a couple pieces left in the morning and evening.

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 06:52:59 AM »

I have found, through trial and error, that if I put just enough wood in my boiler so that when I return to fill it next time there are very few unburned pieces of any size, I burn less wood and just as importantly there is way less ash build up.  All I have to do now, as others have stated, is a 20 second rake job on the bed of coals, and chuck in enough wood to get me to the next fill time.

When I first started, I was putting in way too much wood and too often... my ashes (more like unburnt nuggets) would build up rather quickly.  Now, my ash is burning to a fine powder and is reduced to at least 1/4 the volume.

You would be surprised how long the water will stay up to temp as your stove burns the coals into fine ash.

The only time that I "over fill" is if I know I will be out of my normal fill routine (home later than usual for whatever reason).

Although I don't own a Hawken, I'm sure it is the same for most conventional OWB's.

Although I don't own a Hawken, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 08:14:26 PM »

Excellent information.