Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hot Tub  (Read 11038 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Hot Tub
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »

Thanks RSI! If I was going to go with the 20 plate, I probably would just go with the tube exchanger, but from the BTU ratings I have read, a 10 plate would work. I will admit first off, I know nothing about heat exchangers other than the basic fact that they transfer heat. Would the plate exchanger last longer if it were inside? Or is it the hot tub chemicals that destroy it, or just how/what they are made of never stand the test of time?

I have also thought about using a sidearm exchanger, though I am unsure how well it would perform. I have found them right around 120 in many places.
A 10 plate will give you plenty of BTUs. Most people go up to a 20 plate just because of less restriction.

It is the chemicals in the hot tub water that will destroy the heat exchanger. Going with a side arm wouldn't have the flow restriction of a 10 plate but being plain copper will be even worse than the brass brazing on a plate heat exchanger.

gsilus

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »

I have a OWB and am getting a hot-tub.  I want to heat the hot-tub in the winter with the water from my boiler.  I have viewed one persons setup like this, however they did not have an electric heater in their hot-tub, they had removed it and simply went entirely with the heat from the water-to-water exchanger.  I would like to see another configuration where folks have not removed the electric heater from the hot-tub, so I can get an idea how and where penetrations were made into the lines of the hot-tub.  Also, I would like to see the other components, other the the exchanger and how they have been connected.  If someone out there has information on their own installation of a water-to-water exchanger and a simple yet effective way for me to do the same, I would appreciate the help.  My OWF handle is gsilus, so perhaps that would be a good way to contact me at first.  Also, if someone reading this is in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area and they have such a setup, I would like to visit and see how you connected your system up.  Thx!

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »

I have never personally hooked up a hot tub myself but it I was doing it I would take a line on the hot tube after the pump and run it to the heat exchanger and then back to where it was going. Then I would cut the boiler line in the most convenient place and put 2 tees right next to each other in the line and a pump to pull water in the first tee then to the heat exchanger then back to the second tee.

Then all you need to do is hook the pump's power up to a thermostat to control the hot tub temperature.

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »

in my hot tub there is one jet that is on all the time . i cut that line and in and out of the tube heat ex. for best results your pump should run 24/7. i have a ranco t-stat probe attached to the line i spliced into to work a zone valve. i just backed down the electric heater t-stat to 70deg. so it does not come on at all. my hot tub goes through several cycles a day and stays withen about 3deg.for what it is set at. everything is mounted inside the tub cabinet.
as for wood use ,it's not much.
Pages: 1 [2]