Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: chimney extension  (Read 5299 times)

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
chimney extension
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

We just bought a Natures comfort 250 coal. I need to add to the chimney, so the smoke will clear our house. I'd like to add about 16 feet of double wall chimney pipe to the 7 foot tall boiler, to get close to our roofline. Some people say that this will increase the draft in the fire box, and the boiler will overheat. Does anybody have any experience with adding 16-20 feet of chimney pipe? I called the manufacturer, they said, 20 feet is ok, no problem. They just recomended, a double wall pipe over 11 feet.  Thank you. Anybody uses the 250 coal and heats with coal? Any inputs, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: chimney extension
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »

You'll be ok but if any small tiny air leaks develop in door gaskets flaps etc, it will be greatly magnified
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:58:34 PM »

You wont have a problem with the boiler over heating..Im 19 ft up with double wall pipe all the way..Being that high you need to anchor the stack with wire or whatever to the boiler itself,  so it wont blow over with wind storms etc..Heres what I did.. I bought a Chimney guy-wireband  and a few chimney band clamp  kits from Central Boiler..So I have the wire band towards the top,with 4 12 gauge suspended ceiling wires ( I have stainless steel wire which I have access too)..On the boiler itself..each corner I installed a eye bolt..Now on the eye bolts I attached turn buckles..On the other end of the turn buckle I attached the wire too..You got to have the turn buckle to keep the wire tension..Reason why I attached everything to the boiler..If the boiler moves like due to frost the stack with move with it..I did the pole thing next to the boiler, yes it was concreted in...It didn't work..Since ive done it this way about 5 yrs back..Never had a problem..Stack has been through  Sandy, Irene, various potent nor'easter's that produce very high winds and severe thunderstorms..I got various pics on here..any info  or other pics you need..Just let me know..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »

Thank you so much for the info. Could you please;
1. Send me a picture of the eyelet attachments at the corners of the boiler?
I was planing to wire the stack to the ground, but after reading this may be it would be better to attach it to the boiler's corners like you did. I did order wall brackets for the double wall pipes (class a all fuel pipe) which I was going run wire to. Are three braces enough (top, middle, and lower)? How many do you have?
2. What boiler setting are you using with the higher stack? Mine is 180F, and 15 degree differential. Some people recommended especially with coal to change it to 170-175, and 10 dif. In case I get more draft.
3. I ordered 4 x 4foot chimney pipes. I would really like to use 5x4 foot piles to reach the top of the roof line. According to the manufacturer it's ok to go to 20 feet, I was just worried about the added draft which sounds like wont be a problem, so I only ordered 4 for now. Would you recommend adding 5 pipes to make it 20 feet, or just try 4 at 16 feet+7 foot tall boiler for now and see if smoke is still an issue.
Thank you again.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »

Thank you so much for the info. Could you please;
1. Send me a picture of the eyelet attachments at the corners of the boiler?
I was planing to wire the stack to the ground, but after reading this may be it would be better to attach it to the boiler's corners like you did. I did order wall brackets for the double wall pipes (class a all fuel pipe) which I was going run wire to. Are three braces enough (top, middle, and lower)? How many do you have?
2. What boiler setting are you using with the higher stack? Mine is 180F, and 15 degree differential. Some people recommended especially with coal to change it to 170-175, and 10 dif. In case I get more draft.
3. I ordered 4 x 4foot chimney pipes. I would really like to use 5x4 foot piles to reach the top of the roof line. According to the manufacturer it's ok to go to 20 feet, I was just worried about the added draft which sounds like wont be a problem, so I only ordered 4 for now. Would you recommend adding 5 pipes to make it 20 feet, or just try 4 at 16 feet+7 foot tall boiler for now and see if smoke is still an issue.
Thank you again.

I have 2 braces..one at the very bottom where the pipe comes out and one in the mid section..Those braces from Central Boiler are rugged..You bolt them on..I dont have a draft prob..Never have..Right now my boiler is at 180F...As far as the hight of the pipe..Thats really up to you..That pipe isnt cheap..You can try it a 16ft and see how you like it.. Heres a older pic of my boiler with the tall stack..Ill get you a pic what i did at the corners on the boiler

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »

Thank you Matty. I looked on central boiler's online catalog; I did find the chimney clamp to attach the wire to. I didn't see the corner attachments. I'll wait for you pics later, and may be call CB for the corner eye attachments you used. Unless I can get something similar at Home Depot. Thanks again. This helps a lot.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »

Thank you Matty. I looked on central boiler's online catalog; I did find the chimney clamp to attach the wire to. I didn't see the corner attachments. I'll wait for you pics later, and may be call CB for the corner eye attachments you used. Unless I can get something similar at Home Depot. Thanks again. This helps a lot.
The corner attachments is just eye bolts that u buy from the local hardware store...Same with the turn buckles..The eyes bolts are attached to the frame of the boiler
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:53:16 PM »

Got it. I see now. This helped a lot. Thank you again. Looks like you have 6x3 foot pipes+1x 1foot. This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm next to tall trees too.
I love this forum. Where else would I find someone with a boiler with a 20 foot stack and advice on how to replicate it:)

jksweld

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:11:56 PM »

I made my own support and installed today, a homemade clamp out of 1/8"X2" flat steel formed to 8" diameter and a piece of 3/4" steel conduit. I only have two 5' sections of stack on mine and its very sturdy. I made a rough drawing of it with paint, I hope I can get it to post

James

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »

Do you have a T at the base of your stack if so you could install a barometric damper right there where the clean out cover is and set the draft accordingly.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

uncle Dave

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: 180
  • wood is the only way to get warm!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »

Maybe it's just me, I put 12ft on my Hardy, and was very uncomfortable with it, until I added an outrigger to it to keep the pipe from moving heavy winds. Happy now.
Hardy H4, first fire 11/06,  26 ton spliter, Stihl MS290, Stihl 029 17acre hillside wood lot, locust,hickory, ash, maple, deer, coyotes.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 08:24:01 PM »

Heres a couple of pics on how I attached to the boiler

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

thank you for all the advice and the pics. I'm going to do the same thing. I ordered 5x 4 foot double wall class a all fuel pipes. I bought the eye bolts today at Lowe's. Thank you again.