Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: GX10  (Read 4041 times)

Laird

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
GX10
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »

I see where Hawken has just come out with a new Phase 2 wood burner. Probably too soon for anyone to have seen one, but I'd like to hear their impression if someone does.

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Re: GX10
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »

I am in the market for an OWB and I am looking at the Hawkens.  The dealer here suggested i go with the HE 2100 instead (non gassification) because the gassification OWB's are so new that he is leary of having all of the "bugs" worked out of them.  I wonder if that is the overall impression of the Phase II units across the OWB dealers?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »

I tell my customers to steer clear of gassers if they don't have to buy one.  More maintenance and slightly more efficient compared to some models. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »

Scott,

You sound like my Hawken dealer but everyone else on here is calling him crazy saying they are at least 25 percent more efficient.  Why so much conflicting info on the new gassers?  This all makes me think my Hawken dealer is right.  The bugs haven't been worked out in the new gassers.  Not enough research and testing (comparisons) have been done between gassers and non gassers. 

I feel torn between the two.  I don't know what I should do.  To complicate things, I have to decide which brand to buy as well as choosing gasser vs. non gasser.  I've spent hours researching and every time I think I've narrowed things down, I read something that makes me change my mind. 

I read a post somewhere that compares OWB's to trucks.  Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota all make pretty nice trucks but everyone has there preference.  OWB's are the same way (acording to poster).  Would you all agree? 

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »

I don't agree...  As I feel there are only a handful of trustworthy companies and quality products. 

I run a 5000e heatmaster, another member yoderheating has ran a EPA phase 2 gasser and he'll tell you the same thing I will.  The e series were using is probably not over 10% less efficient and none of the hassle.  The gassers have much much much more maintenance and your wood has to be cut smaller, split smaller, perfectly dried for these things to perform correctly.  If you'd run out of seasoned wood and had to burn green at some point, forget it, won't happen in most of them!  Not at all. 

With the stove I'm using it has a double passs and keeps exhaust gases in the water tank much longer and provides greater efficiency.  It will also burn anything you put in it, green wood, dry wood, coal you name it.  Try that with a gasser, they are finicky! 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697