Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ideal Temp  (Read 4441 times)

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Ideal Temp
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »

What does the group think is the ideal temp to heat the water too? Is 180 degrees the most efficient number?

Ridgekid

Re: Ideal Temp
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »

Taking a quote from one of our members (peacmar):

"In the end its all about water care and maintenance. Monitoring your ph, nitrate, keeping it full of water and never below 140 degrees. Water gives up its absorbed oxygen at 180 and doesn't absorb it again till it drops to 140.140 degrees is also the magic number when water vapor in flue gas starts to condense in the fire box. "

Based on that I would say at least 180F.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »

Most efficient is the lowest that will still heat your house.
It varies between different brands but 140° is about the lowest you can run without a lot of creosote building up.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »

i know nothing of air in the water and the 180 stuff so i will just make a guess that 180 is used to get rid of air and make sure it stays (or at least attemp) to keep air out of a clsoed system. and open system will always have air in it of some sort (again just my belief--no real proof) i also believe that running your open to air OWB at any temp you like as long as it will heat your home is good..the lower temps will be more efficient in that the temp difference between your underground lines and the earth will be closer together so heat loss will be less in this area. your blower in the house will likely have to run longer to keep your room at the heat level you desire so you may use more power unless you are like me and your blower in teh house is designed to run 24/7 then this wont matter. these things are like your old car..it has a sweet spot and it is up to you to find it and you will learn to listen to it and it will tell you when something is wrong with it. i am entering year 11...i turn the thing on in october and shove wood into untill late may or june..it does what it is supposed to and i appreciate it.

i may try and build another one (and it will likley be a gasser now that there is a lot of info on here to help me in my project)  but i will never throw out the old "silver bullet" until it wastes away beyond repair. I built it with little knowledge of what i was doing..it uses about the same amount of wood as most other non gasser brands and i can live with that. i have probably spent as much on machinery as i would have buying heating oil or electricity  but it has not gone out the window (so to speak) i have chainsaws, a tractor, dumpwagon that i may not have ever bought if i did not heat with wood, but these things are all re-sellable and worth something when i am done with them, and the valuable family time i have spent in the bush with my sons is priceless and i know we would not have spent this time at any other "job" together. my youngest (now 26) comes home from university and the first thing he asked are if we are going to the bush to get wood!

my OWB has not only heated my house but helped make my house, my home. i know many here worry about wood consumption and efficiency and i guess, rightly so. I would like to tell you all to take time and enjoy the dam thing sometimes, and once in a while....let the thought of "high milage of your wood" go up in smoke in your mind and let its place be taken with warm happy thoughts the OWB can give you

thats my rant of the night i guess...happy burning
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

wicked weasel

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »

Well put. They burn what they burn.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »

WillieG I have to agree with ya!  I love to think about making my stove run better ,and how efficient I can get it.Then I also love to be out there with it just messing around enjoying the unique smell coming from the stack.Great to just be outside enjoying the great outdoors. :thumbup:
Now,... how many pieces did i just put in was that 4 or 6? Oh well,throw in a few more! ;D
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

anightd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »

Thanks guys, that helps. At the moment I am going with 160 for the moment, the wood is lasting a long time so I am happy. Didn't think about the air issue. Will bump to 180 when it gets colder.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »

From the dealers I have emailed the magic number seems to be 170-180 for trouble free futures with these stoves. I have tried all heat settings and the ones that save wood give me lukewarm heat out my plenum and the furnace runs alot longer. I cranked it up to 170-180 per my convo with woodmaster owner and my furnace blower hardly comes on as I seem to get a majority of heat from my pex lines in the basement.