Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PTO driven processors  (Read 4459 times)

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
PTO driven processors
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with PTO processors.  Just starting to do some research about them.  I like the idea of using the tractor instead of having another motor to maintain but if there  are any draw back, i'd like to hear them.  I wouldn't need a large volume of production but don't want to look at something too small.  Over the years, figuring out the size that best suits your needs and going 1 step above has usually worked out well.  Thanks for any input.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: PTO driven processors
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »

My Wood-Eze processor is PTO driven, place the PTO pump on the tractor stub and chain it down. I’ve since mounted the pump solid to the processor and use a short PTO shaft for the power connection. I’ve snapped a PTO stub once in the past, and the funny pull from the chain I think was causing the pump housing to flex and blow seals.

Other than needing a tractor to run it, I don’t see any real drawbacks. I also run an ear corn conveyor to load the truck with the hydraulics from the tractor. My uncle has a Ford 9N he’s tried to run it with, killed it dead, his 66 gas Oliver does a little better if you baby it, my Super 88 diesel runs it just fine, I prefer to use my 1755 or 1855 Oliver and slip the PTO selector into 1000rpm and just run the tractor at half throttle.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 05:00:47 AM »

Thanks for the info Mlappin

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about tractors but when you say "select 1000 rpm", I guessing on your processor that there's a PTO hook up for either 540(standard PTO speed) or 1000 rpm engine speed?  Kind of confused.  I have a Massey 2650 and a 1552.  I was figuring I would have to use the bigger one to run the processor.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »

Some larger higher hp tractors have either 2 pto shafts or have the ability to change pto speeds by selecting the gear ratio going to the tractors output shaft.  In this case and what we used to do with pto pump for the boom sprayer is run the pump on the 1000 rpm shaft and idle the tractor way down to get the same output at much lower engine rpm. Burns about 1/2 the fuel. If that makes any sense.....
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »

Certain size Oliver/Whites had a 540/1000 rpm selector under the PTO housing, loosen the lock bolt to shift speeds, from the factory you can’t shift into 1000 without a 1000 rpm shaft installed, a bit of grinding when a units apart for service and you can shift into 1000 rpm with a 540 stub still installed. Used to mow hundreds of acres of hay with a NH499 haybine and an Oliver 1855 with a 540 stub installed but shifted into 1000rpm, run 1300-1400 rpm all day long with no problems, use a lot less fuel and save the hearing as well.

Some tractors as low as 60hp came with dual speed units, once they got much above 150hp they came as 1000rpm only, get over 200hp and they came as 1000rpm only with the large 1000rpm shaft.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »

Thank you both for the explanation.  I'm quite sure that the larger tractor doesn't have the 1000 rpm option.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »

What brand are you looking at exactly? If you can find a used one somewhere, I’d highly recommend the Wood-Eze, if you can get a 70’ log out of the woods, it will drag it in and process it without having to cut it down. A lot of the ones I see only handle 10-15’ long logs.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 04:23:26 AM »

You're exactly right about the length of logs.  I've been looking at Cord King or Built-Rite.  Just at the beginning stage right now.  I haven't had a chance to even look at used.  It would be nice to get something that would handle a 20' piece so if you got a truck load you wouldn't have to cut them down. i'm open for suggestions if people have other brands.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 06:40:40 AM »

I looked at both, think I’d stick with a chainsaw model instead of the circular.

Both looked like good machines, still no overly thrilled about having to have a tractor or skid steer around to load the logs on the deck.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »

To clarify my thinking, unless you spend a considerable amount of money, the ones with the buzz saw for the most part are only good for a 10-14” log, if you normally only cut pole trees then this might work for you regardless as it does appear the buzz saw is faster.

However, I measured the ash logs I have out ready to process, the largest is 24” at the stump and 57’ long, the smallest is 12” at the stump and 20 foot long. Would hate to have a processor where I still had to hand cut the bigger stuff.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:14:18 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »

I'm more inclined to go with a chain saw model.  I also felt that the circular saw was very limiting.  When it is set up where we can do some logging, we'll separate saw logs from firewood so the diameters will typically be smaller but I still feel that having more flexibility is better.  Loading shouldn't be an issue as we can either use an excavator or tractor but it is another thing to have to get on site.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 05:06:27 PM »

We could have gotten rid of our ash when the rumors first came about of that f*cking oriental ash borer getting closer to our area, problem was everybody else had the same ideal and ash was barely worth pallet wood as the market was flooded with ash, figured it was worth more as firewood.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Cabo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »

I hear you on that.  We sold several log loads worth at first, then we got into mainly firewood.  We're finishing up processing the last of 85+/- cords of it.  Almost 7 years worth for 2 of us.  Pretty much the only thing my OWB has ever seen is ash.  I'm interested in getting some oak or maple to see how it does with that.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »

I hear you on that.  We sold several log loads worth at first, then we got into mainly firewood.  We're finishing up processing the last of 85+/- cords of it.  Almost 7 years worth for 2 of us.  Pretty much the only thing my OWB has ever seen is ash.  I'm interested in getting some oak or maple to see how it does with that.

How long does it keep once the trees are no longer putting leaves on? I know some kinds of elm you don’t have long before it gets punky, unlike red elm that will stand till the roots rot out from under em.

Just wondering is all as I’m pretty sure I already have enough to process to get me thru next winter but I’ve not really made a good dent in the woods with the highest percentage ash. Just wondering if they kept any longer if dropped and topped then the logs stacked somewhere till I needed em.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: [1] 2