Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 400HE wood consumption  (Read 6527 times)

Mattmich

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee
  • OWF Model: 400he
    • View Profile
400HE wood consumption
« on: November 26, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »

Been burning my 400he for a couple weeks now just wondering what kind of burn times other people are getting with same stove. I'm heating a 40x60 shop with a 20x20 coil. The house is 2,OOO sq ft and about 200 ft from stove. I fill the stove full at 7 pm and by 7am it doesn't have much left. The shop doesn't have any fan going at night and the house is set on 70. Using seasoned cherry and oak.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: 400HE wood consumption
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »

Sure seems like a lot of wood, what kind of piping do you have?!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Mattmich

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »

I used the three wrap foil that has a another 6 inch tile over the 4 inch. Haven't checked to see what the water temp entering the basement is but it seems like its not losing a lot. Starting to think that firebox doesn't hold as much wood as I thought.(28cuft)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

The return temps to the boiler and the gpm you are pushing through the system would help us to determine how much heat you are using.

Mattmich

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »

This is my first outdoor furnace whats the best way to measure return temps? Im using a star 30 wilo pump not sure what the gpm are i'll have to find out. Thanks for the feedback

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »

This is my first outdoor furnace whats the best way to measure return temps? Im using a star 30 wilo pump not sure what the gpm are i'll have to find out. Thanks for the feedback

Wilo worse pump going, id be concerned with it and definitely have a quality back up on shelf

28 cubic feet, last year the boiler I ran held 5 cubic feet of wood and easily gave me 12-13 hour burns, of course it was a gasification unit. I was heating 2200 sq ft average insulation

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »

I have the same stove , your description has so many variables in it its hard to say  , on your house how well is it insulated and is this your only source of heat ??  a 40x 60 shop is huge , same question , how well insulated and only source of heat ?

I have 2 large greenhouses , 1 30 x 50 14 ft tall   , only 2 layers of 6 mil plastic , other is 20 x 50, 10 ft tall  and one layer 6 mil  , last night it was 15 degrees ,  both are heated with a 22x22 WTA exchanger, fan and thermostat

when its this cold I get a 5 hour burn time on a full load , I have both greenhouse set at 60 degrees , when its warmer 35-40 degrees I can get a 12 hour burn time , 
what kind of wood and seasoned or not makes all the difference , I can burn some sycamore and i get a lot of white smoke , I burn oak , cherry , hickory  i don't see any smoke rather a " wave of air " that is transparent

my stove has 3 separate  wilo star21's on it and a port for the 4th , haven't had the first issue with them and in my second year , I'm sure there are others as good or better but at the end of the day it comes down to a lot of opinions , your pump should have 3 speeds on them and tell you the GPM for each setting , you can plumb in a couple T's and put a gauge like this ( http://www.blueridgecompany.com/radiant/hydronic/660/pasco-rht-temperature-gauges) in  at the outlet and return outlet to see your temp drop on a line , that will tell you if your loosing heat to the ground or not , see the attached picture

I think a 12 hour time on your stove for a house and large shop of that size depending on how well insulated would not be out of the norms

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:17:14 PM by netwerx-r-us »
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326

Mattmich

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »

Netwerx the house is an old two story farm house probably not insulated the best and its the only heat source. I'm going to try and get readings on those water temps and maybe that will help. Our farm sits in the middle of open fields so it can be kinda hard to heat on some of these windy Michigan winter days. Talked to another guy here in Michigan just heating a house with the same stove and hes getting double the burn times so I'm thinking these shops with tall ceilings really take a lot of heat. Thanks everyone for the advice.

f150bft

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
  • "Never argue with a fool" in North East Tennessee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »

These guys can/will help you determine why you are using so much wood, I don't have the knowledge/experience yet to put my 2 cents worth in. I do have a question though.
 Why do you have a Tennessee made stove when you live in Michigan? I am certain there are several other manufacturers in your area. What made you choose this stove? I was just wondering and I don't mean anything by it.
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
1970 Wheel Horse Raider 12
1966 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger
2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
N.E. Tennessee

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »

Ill take a stab at it being as I live in Tennessee

there is made in China
there is made in USA
and then there is made in Tennessee

sorry couldn't resist  >:D
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326

Mattmich

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »

khawkins the guy I bought it from is a new dealer for them here in Michigan. I called him about another stove he had and he showed me this brand and I guess I liked them more than the ones that are made here in Michigan. We will no in a few months if I made the right choice!

robash9608

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Shop Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »

These furnaces are becoming popular in my area (upstate SC). There is a dealer not far from me and he says that he has sold about 15 units in the past year.
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

Michael

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnaces
  • OWF Model: 400 HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

I burn that much wood too. 2500 sq ft house, 40 x 50 shop with 16 ft ceilings.