Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Newbie needin to build a OWB boiler!! Need ideas and help!!  (Read 14402 times)

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needin to build a OWB boiler!! Need ideas and help!!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 07:22:41 AM »

i would use the propane tank as the fire box dont think the 24 will be big enough  grate find on the coil from the uncle :thumbup:
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:01:20 AM »

24" diameter by 60" long makes about 15.7 cubic feet. If you get your burn dialed in well it will be plenty of space for about 8-10 hours and have enough coals left for an easy restart of fresh wood. If your looking for longer burn times then the above may be true. But you also have a large water capacity so it may balance out. If the fire dies you have heat stored in the water till you refill. The way it sounds you could turn the lp tank on end with the pipe vertically inside and have one heck of a gasifier ;)

beeman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:08 AM »

that would bee a great idel to stand it up never thought of it that way i was only looking at the chucking the wood in the front five foot is long way and lot of ash

jksweld

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »

Im not to familiar with the whole gasifer deal?? Could one of you guys help explain to me what your meaning by standing the tank on end??

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »

Hes refering to standing the tank on end then have your burn chamber inside of it.That way you are taking up less space ,but still have large amounts of water to store heat in.
I plan to have 4 500 gallon tanks standing on end super insulated to create mass storage.Maybe in a few more years it will happen. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »

Im not to familiar with the whole gasifer deal?? Cou
ld one of you guys help explain to me what your meaning by standing the tank on end??

Secondary burn by Quicksilver99

Gasifier by Quicksilver99

5 is the primary chamber, 7 is the nozzle, 8 is the secondary chamber, 10 are the heat exchangers. The wood is consumed in the primary burn chamber at a very controlled rate. The resulting wood gas is forced down through the bed of glowing coals which is hit enough to consume and break down all the particles to basic elements of flammable gasses like hydrogen and carbon monoxide. It then passes through the nozzle where super heated secondary air is introduced to allow the compatible gasses to burn at extremely high temps (2000 degrees) and from there the heated flue gas goes up the exchangers and out the chimney. Very clean and very efficient. The burning wood gas looks like the top picture as it goes through the secondary chamber.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:59:40 AM by peacmar »

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »

Dont think Im gone to build a gasifier, too much work for right now. but since the mention of standing the tank on end ive came up with this drawing. This is nothing to scale, just a quick paint drawing. The exhulst pipe wont be that close to the side of the tank either, im gonna try to center it up through. Do you guys think it will work?? will i get enough heat like this??

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

The heat exchanger would seem like a good idea, but I fear it plugging up over time. My impression was that the heat exchanger was for in the house. What ever you may run for heat exchanger will have to be easily accessible for routine cleaning, at least every couple weeks, if you don't have a gasifier. Although, if you go back to the original idea of laying the tank horizontally you could build a mini Garn very easily. I'm going to look for a diagram or pic and will put it up in a few minutes to give you an idea. Then you could even use 4" schedule 40 pipe for the heat exchanger and route it back and forth a couple times with a horizontal flue out the back. Your fire box could have the flue gas exit low in the back almost at the bottom, into a small square box about 2 feet long lined with some fire bricks. One air inlet down low below the fill door for primary air and one up high and above for secondary air. Coming from the door blowing straight towards the back.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »

A 26" round x 28" deep burn chamber yields less than 9 cu. ft. That might be a bit on the small size, unless you're building a gasser.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »

Garn by Quicksilver99,

Here is a diagram of the garn.
A is air in
B is primary air
C is door
D is secondary air
E is burn box with fire brick bottom
F is fire brick lined hunt chamber
G is 4" heat exchanger, single pass, very long
H is induces fan
I is exhaust

Here is a link to someone in my neck of the woods that built his own.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11262/

Notice in the third post, the first and fifth pictures, you can see the clean outs that stick through the ends of the water jacket. Also, the Garn unit uses a suction fan. At the very bottom of the third post is an actual Garn. They batch burn at about 450,000 btu per hour and use an induction (suction) fan instead of forced draft. They also only use 4 inch pipe for the heat exchanger, about 60 feet of it. The incoming air passes through the water mass to preheat it also. Your lp tank may have promise for a mini Garn, and your 24" pipe would be of the perfect size for it also.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:59:06 PM by peacmar »

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 03:49:36 AM »

CANCELLING THE BUILD!!!!! My father in law calls me last monday and says the guy he works with has a OWB that he is no longer using and said I could have it if I came and got it. So I borrowed my dads Chevy diesel and 16' tandem axle trailer last friday,  picked up my buddy, and 180 mile round trip and I now have a 20 year old Taylor Outdoor Wood Burning Boiler setting beside the house, know as Bob, and hes been puffin smoke and heatin the house since saturday evening!!!!!

Thanks to all of you that have given me guidance and ideas on my plans to build!! Iam sure I will build one next spring, just for the heck of it!!

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »

Congrats on the find, the best kind of OWB is a free one LOL
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »

great deal! Now you wont have to worry about rushing to get a build done.Glad to hear our new stove is working good. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

beeman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »

great find  :thumbup:  i think i would still do the build even for giggles and grines at the most you could sell

shane g

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »

wow awesome find FREEBBEEEE
Shane
Pages: 1 [2] 3