Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Installing in a Doublewide Mobile home??  (Read 13508 times)

Daped01

• View Profile
Installing in a Doublewide Mobile home??
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »

I own a doublewide moble home sitting on a full slab, aprox 1500 sq ft.  I currently heat it with a forced air LP furnace.  My question(s) is/are, how do I go about installing a heat exchanger in my furnace, from my knowledge there isn't much space, am i going to need a new furnace?  or just get a professional to do it

Also, when I run the lines under the house through the skirting, is it ok for them to run on top of the slab?  or do I need to cut out the slab where the lines are to run and run them up through the floor to the furnace?

I'm about a year away from buying an OWB, but I want to know as much about what I need to do so I can do as much of the work as I can.

Thanks in advance.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Installing in a Doublewide Mobile home??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »

Double wides are the easiest ones I think...  Take out the screws that hold the a coil in place and slide a 16x16 coil right under it and then set the acoil back down on it...  Tape it up and you have it..

Sometimes I have to install them on top of the cabinet that it sits in, but it's always a fairly easy one to do

The lines are fine to run on top of the slab, I just use enough package line to reach my first stop, usually the hot water tank
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »

My son had one installed on his single wide. One thing the dealer looked for was the vent on top of the furnace. It needed to be a retractable style because he raised the furnace to put the HX downstream of the furnace fan.

As far as burying the pex, it only had to be underground from the OWF to the trailer. (if it's thermo-pex). The reason it has to be underground when out in the open is because you need to protect it from the UV rays and the sheathing on the Thermo-pex is not fire retardant.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »

You do not have to put the coil on the supply side of the fan...  There is many issues that you can run into it by doing it that way and it doesnt work any better.  This is actually one of the most common mistakes

I keep them on the return side in double wides and they always do great.  all the air that goes through the fan has to come in the casing, so it makes no difference about efficiency of where it's at. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

hddmax66

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »

if its down draft furnace you have to take the cover off and measure the space on top of the Acoil if you have one. you need about 4 inches. Mine is also ran on top of the slab but i went with the expensive thermo pex.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:27:28 AM »

Once again, it does not have to be above the acoil...   

Yoderheating was the man who turned me onto placing them under the acoil, it makes for the most professional looking installation possible.   Him and his dad have done this forever and have installed hundreds of furnaces if not thousands.... 

I'm only trying to help this questioner out as much as possible, I know a lot of people think a lot of things but when you do this for a living you learn every day.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »

i sat mine on top of the downdraft furnace , and the air filter is on top of the heat exchanger. a-coil sets in the middle. easy to install.

Ridgekid

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

BTW- My sons is a downdraft furnace. The return is at the furnace, goes through the fan, then the oil fired furnace, then through the OWF HX.

Just thought I would add that........

He has an add on AC unit, but it's  totally independent from his "heating system" and has it's own air handler.

hddmax66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »

Here is mine so far. I still have more work to do and have the lines set up to run a zone valve that i have yet to install.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »

I didn't have enough room in my furnace so I pulled out my a coil.i plan to instal a new furnace next year so it didn't matter to me.I do plan to make a box for the new furnace to sit on that will hold my heat exchanger.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »

Max66, how you gonna close the cabinet with. Lines sticking out of it.

I always come up beside where the ac lines come up to keep it all neat/hidden
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

hddmax66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »

Well i have holes drilled in it and since the cover very rarely will need to be removed ill just take the shark bites off and put the door on and reinstall the shark elbows. It was a lil more difficult because i got a bigger exchanger to fill the space and ofcorse nobody makes close to the size i needed. The exchanger is about 3 inches longer then i needed. I also wanted to run to the plate exchanger first so i could get more of a consistant temp for the hot water. I Plan on building some type of closet around the system.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:42:34 PM by hddmax66 »

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »

Well i have holes drilled in it and since the cover very rarely will need to be removed ill just take the shark bites off and put the door on and reinstall the shark elbows. It was a lil more difficult because i got a bigger exchanger to fill the space and ofcorse nobody makes close to the size i needed. The exchanger is about 3 inches longer then i needed. I also wanted to run to the plate exchanger first so i could get more of a consistant temp for the hot water. I Plan on building some type of closet around the system.
Just curious what size heat exchanger you have that you had to get 3" too long? Usually can get closer than that.

Daped01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »

wow....thanks for all the responses, I didn't expect anywhere near as many as I've received.  I have a couple questions.

When you guys say A coil, are you referring to the Air Conditioning Coil?

and secondly, I don't have anywhere near that amount of room next to my furnace as you do  hddmax66.  My furnace is built into a space no wider than the furnace is.  My only option is to go down straight through the floor?  to the left of the furnace is a pantry, and the right is my washer in dryer.  Followed by my well pump and hot water heater built into an enclosure to the right of the washer and dryer.  its tight.  This is why I'm thinking about having a professional install the indoors portion of the system.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

Yeah thats what they mean when they say a coil.The a/c condensor.My furnace is the same as yours real tight and beside the  hallway.I had to run my lines up right in front of the furnace.I can't put my lower cover back on either.I hope to make a different arrangement when I put in a new furnace.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: [1] 2