Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Combustion blower size for my homemade boiler?  (Read 11278 times)

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Combustion blower size for my homemade boiler?
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »

Hello guys- I have been working on building  boiler also- I see some nice work on here! I have not been able to come up with a cfm size rating from any of the manufacturers for what they are using on the combuston blower. What size units/brands are you guys using? My burner is a 36 in barrel in a box design. Water capacity is 200 gallons. I am nearing the end of construction and hope to move it out of my workshop to an outside storage building where it will be housed. I have to finish up the firebox / ashpan doors and I believe that will be the end of the fabrication work.I have been searching for several months for info on do it yourself boliers- this is the first decent place I have just turned up!

Thanks for any help- Bob in Mich

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Combustion blower size for my homemade boiler?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

welcome to the site bob, as for your question you might search some of the 'store bought" OWB sites and look in their online parts page to see if they list a blower in CFM.
my stove is also home made, a 36 inch pipe inside a 42 inch, the blower i use is a 150 CFM and it seems to work well for me

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/dadsstuff0012.jpg

my blower is behing the lower box..inside the box is a gate that the solenoid (inside the upper box) lifts. all run by the aquastat. this insures no air can get in through the motor windings and cause any overheating when air is not called for

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »

Thanks for the reply- looks like you have had great success from what I have read. My friend told me tonite that his Hardy is 100cfm so I will shoot for something at least that size and maybe as large as the 150cfm.
Also on the list is to figure the pump size- I will check manufactures on these to I guess!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »

i would recomend something along the line of a taco 0011 bronze pump (bronze is recomended for open loop systems) also i would use 1 inch lines to ensure lots of hot water delivery in case you hook up a lot of zones

i would also recomend a header system in your home so you can isolate any one appliance if you need to. but do look around and make your own decisions, there may be way better equipment on the market since i installed my stove (this is year 9 for me)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »

Bob my stove has a Dayton 146 cfm fan model 1TDP7 you can get from Grainger. Air flow is regulated on intake side. Never have run with fan fully open (to much air). My pump is Taco 011 pumping through 60 plate heat exchanger 1" pex from OWB to exchanger.
Good luck with your stove!!!

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks for the help fellas- I am hoping to fire this thing up this weekend possibly or the following for sure!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »

we are all waiting to hear your (happy) results...good luck
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada