Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: BL 2840 "20 year limited warranty" any good?  (Read 2968 times)

PeteBak

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
BL 2840 "20 year limited warranty" any good?
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:24:44 AM »

I'm looking into buying the BL 2840 but I want to know what the "20 Year limited warranty" actually covers.
PM says it offers the "industry’s best warranty!"
Well, what is it?
Water jacket?
Heat exchanger?
Electrical?
Refractory brick?
Does the warranty cover on site repairs?
Is the warranty pro-rated?
After looking into the whole Wood Doctor mess, the warranty coverage suddenly becomes very important to me.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: BL 2840 "20 year limited warranty" any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »

Well let's see, I guess that I am the guy to answer this one, not real sure myself on the 20 year but I do know that most everything in life is Pro-Rated, there are wear items on the boiler that have limited warranties such as refractory, we will warranty it for 2 years and it should last 5+ years, we don't really know, Electrical is 1 year as with most electronics, we don't build those parts and must rely on the manufacturers warranty, no it does not cover on site repairs other than welding if needed and that would be contracted to a local welder, you mention Wood Doctor, I can tell you that at one time I sold for them and left for exactly that reason, the warranty sucked, this is not one of those companies, I personally am in Greenfield NY (Saratoga Springs),  we just replaced an Auger on one of our chip boilers that the homeowner admits was their fault, they are being billed for my travel time with a spare Auger that I had in stock, we do pride ourselves on our common sense approach on warranty issues, do we give away the farm? No we do not as that would be bad business practice but we certainly do work with the customer to try and resolve the issues that will eventually arise in any mechanical device. I sincerely hope this helps in your decision.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

PeteBak

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:33 PM »

Thanks slimjim. Why does PM boast about "industry’s best warranty!"
What is "best" about it?

It looks comparable to everything else out there.
PM does not make me feel better when they say on their FAQ on their website that the furnace "should last for years and years."
http://www.portageandmainboilers.com/#!faq/c19yz
That could mean anything.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »

OK let me say this, I think every manufacturer out there advertises the best warranty in the business, you are talking to THE guy that takes care of warranty issues in the northeastern US as well as answers the phone at all hours for the customer when they have an issue, would you feel better if we advertised the industries second best warranty? Our warranty is only a small part of what we do, how many other manufacturers pay a man that has knowledge of the units that they sell to visit forums such as this one to not only help our customers but our competitions as well, we simply believe in burning wood no matter what product you choose to purchase, Stated warranties are garbage to begin with, (see Wood Doctor), we choose to put a common sense warranty on our units and then honor it. Do some research and then purchase the boiler that you are comfortable with, I can only speak for us, other good options in my opinion would be Scott @ Heatmaster and Heatmor, there may be more out there that have honor but please choose for yourself and Burn Wood.

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »

Thanks slimjim. Why does PM boast about "industry’s best warranty!"
What is "best" about it?

It looks comparable to everything else out there.
PM does not make me feel better when they say on their FAQ on their website that the furnace "should last for years and years."
http://www.portageandmainboilers.com/#!faq/c19yz
That could mean anything.
It sounds as if you desire a formal, legal document.  It is an advertising statement for crying out loud!  ::)

Can you imagine a car manufacturer stating that its car will last X number of years? (especially when they have absolutely no control over how it will be driven, if the maintenance will be performed at the designate intervals, etc.).  Personally, I purchase Honda automobiles and small engines nearly exclusively these days.... and guess what?  They have one of the shorter "warranty periods" of any automobile you can buy.... but interestingly, they still sell tons and tons of cars and small engines.  Ever wonder why? (a better design and the manufacturer knows it and consumer advocate magazines seem to support it).

Of course, we all have our opinions and I have blabber-mouthed out mine (on cars anyway).... but my point is this:

read around the internet on OWBs and draw your own conclusions about build quality, manufacturers honoring warranties, on-line and "live human being support." I don't have a dog in any fight but after visiting more than 4 OWB on-line forums, countless trade shows where OWBs are demonstrated, word of mouth from several people I respect, it is rather easy to see that four or five manufacturers "stand out" as far as fewer OWB unit problems (i.e. good designs to start with), actual customer service, coming through on warranty issues, etc.  One of those stand out manufacturers happens to be Portage & Main (in no particular order, I would also be 100% comfortable with HeatMaster, Ridgewood, Central Boiler, and Empyre). 

....and with dealers like slimjim and Scott7m on this forum (and others probably), I feel like I am "covered" for whatever issues may arise in my OWB future (just purchased an Ultimizer Brick Lined BL 34-44 last week; my first OWB ever).

Just my 8 cents worth.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:35:20 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »

VERY WELL SAID!