Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sparker Chimney Cap (Necessary?)  (Read 2743 times)

dhart87

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400 CSS
    • View Profile
Sparker Chimney Cap (Necessary?)
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

I have the Heatmor 400 CSS. Good stove with lots of capacity. Just had a problem with the sparker cap on the chimney dripping moisture/ creosote onto the roof, rotting it out. Have not seen anyone with this spark cap and hear people just put a 5 gallon bucket over there stove during the summer months to keep water out. I think that the sparker cap is causing more damage than good. Thinking about getting a insulated pipe to stop this moisture accumulation.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Sparker Chimney Cap (Necessary?)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:49:03 AM »

That should help considerably, moisture/creosote is a killer for any stove!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »

If your chimney isn't extended at all, there's no reason to insulate the 8" or so that stick out above the unit.  Take the cap off and let the boiler do it's thing.  If creosote builds up in there, it will eventually light off and your chimney will blast a flame into the sky a couple feet tall that looks like a jet engine and burn for a couple of minutes. 

I took an old small air compressor tank a little larger than the diameter of my chimney and cut one of the ends off of it.  It's got a grab handle on it for pulling around the compressor.  It fits nicely over my chimney, is already painted black, has the convenient handle to lift it off, and it won't blow away but it keeps all of the water out in the summer. 

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »

I have the Heatmor 400 CSS. Good stove with lots of capacity. Just had a problem with the sparker cap on the chimney dripping moisture/ creosote onto the roof, rotting it out. Have not seen anyone with this spark cap and hear people just put a 5 gallon bucket over there stove during the summer months to keep water out. I think that the sparker cap is causing more damage than good. Thinking about getting a insulated pipe to stop this moisture accumulation.

New 400css in about a week . I had a 200css for 19 years. Updated to the 400css.  Can you give your take on how to stack stove and cut wood for the 400css fire box.  And your finding burning the 400 CSS.  Any info be great.

Heat550

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »

We sell a few caps but most people just do the bucket.